Coffeehouse Thread

56 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Census - Linux

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Royal​Schrubber

So Ubuntu (sirhomer?) has been crying bout how everybody is dissin' (lol) him because he's using linux..

Just to keep nuts like him from playing this card let's make a list of niners that prefer and/or use Linux daily that also think other niners don't ridicule or attack them because of their OS preference.  I know this proves nothing to trolls like him, but we can just shove them this thread when they start crying how this is some kind of fanboi site conspiracy... bah...

Everybody using linux, raise your hands.. Smiley

• User profile image
    spivonious

I try it every couple of years. It's 100x better than it was, but it still feels like using Windows 95.

That and none of my wireless cards have ever been supported out of the box.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

I run all of my experiments on clusters using Linux servers, and am quite adept with bash scripts and the likes.

On the desktop I still prefer Windows though.

• User profile image
    figuerres

where to start... around 1995 i was getting slackware 1.xx from CD-ROM.Com ftp servers.

bakc then i worked for a retail store that i had the owner start carring the CD kits and I have no idea how many folks i showed Linux to back then....

while working for an ISP around 1998'ish I setup and helped maintain serveral servers including at least 3 Linux boxes and 2 Sun boxes.

we ran on one small cheap one a Linux Quake Server, others ran Sendmail and Apache.

at that time I wrote that ISP's first online signup system as Perl/CGI on the server.

I used Linux later at another job to build a multi-ethernet-card firewall router box to provide 3 internal networks with different rules on each to secure the office from the demo net and from the developer net.

in the last 4 years less Linux just due to what the jobs have asekd me to do, not due to any dislike of the OS.

SO I guess that makes me a MS fanboy Eh?  Smiley

NOT!

• User profile image
    AndyC

I've usually got a PuTTY window or two open onto some Linux servers, does that count?

• User profile image
    littleguru

I used Linux machines quite often at university (through all the years as student) and in the lab during my work at my master thesis (until like 2 months ago). I also did a lot of programming course in Linux/Unix environments for different kind of assignments. It was fun! Smiley

• User profile image
    ZippyV

I'm using Ubuntu on my home pc almost daily. When I have a question about how things are done in development I ask them on Launchpad, when I find bugs I report them on Launchpad and I may sign up to be a translator because I'm still seeing English text in the dutch version.

While I'm talking about Ubuntu here is my opinion about it:

• Applications are out of date and don't get updated until the next upgrade of Ubuntu is available (Transmission for example)
    • Firefox is just as slow to startup: Firefox: 11 seconds, Opera: 5 seconds.
    • Still not fully translated
    • Too difficult to install an application from a new repository.
    • Still ugly theme and backgrounds
  • User profile image
    wkempf

I used it daily for quite a few years, running my own web and mail servers and doing cross platform development.  I've used RedHat, Mandrake, Gentoo, Suse and Ubuntu.  Got tired of the constant need to keep things running by tweaking after every update, the attitude of the Linux community and no longer having the need to do cross platform development means I've not installed a distribution in a couple of years for more than checking out the current state of the distros.

I'm most definitely not anti-Linux.  I have a lot of bad to say about the Linux communities, that are anti-social, unhelpful and full of folks exactly like our Ubuntu.  I also have no tolerance for the "free software" movement, that's as dictatorial and draconian as the commercial entities they rail against.  As for the OS itself, it's often more complicated than it should be, but I like the power and flexibility one is afforded by it.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

wkempf said:

I used it daily for quite a few years, running my own web and mail servers and doing cross platform development.  I've used RedHat, Mandrake, Gentoo, Suse and Ubuntu.  Got tired of the constant need to keep things running by tweaking after every update, the attitude of the Linux community and no longer having the need to do cross platform development means I've not installed a distribution in a couple of years for more than checking out the current state of the distros.

I'm most definitely not anti-Linux.  I have a lot of bad to say about the Linux communities, that are anti-social, unhelpful and full of folks exactly like our Ubuntu.  I also have no tolerance for the "free software" movement, that's as dictatorial and draconian as the commercial entities they rail against.  As for the OS itself, it's often more complicated than it should be, but I like the power and flexibility one is afforded by it.

Every now and then I try the flavor of the day, but my Unix days finished sometimes in 1998, after a 10 years tenure with Apollo Domain, HP-UX and Solaris.

I think I miss the point of Linux today...

• User profile image
    Bas

Used it every day at my previous job.. Both on one of the development machines and for a webserver. Never use it anymore now though since everything here is IIS.

• User profile image
    ManipUni

My Router and Network Server / Storage is Linux. I also have a virtual machine or two that are Linux servers for testing bits and pieces.

This client is Windows and I have a Mac that I rarely use to test stuff.

• User profile image
    Erisan

I'm using Linux as a desktop and development OS/environment at home (Fedora 11/Rawhide) and at work (Debian and Fedora with KVM). Currently all my embedded devices runs Linux (lots of ARM devices and some of SH4 and Blackfin devices). Well, many of those are just developement boards but still ...

Of course I find Linux really interesting from a learning perspective. There's tons of books, documents and source code where to learn from. Of course mailing lists, IRC and VOIP are very helpful also. Personally I found FOSS community very pleasant to work with.

My opinion about Windows? I like it and I think it's a nice environment for a entertainment like games.

• User profile image
    blowdart

I have Suse in a VM for testing federation stuff.

But my router runs BSD! Hurrah Smiley

• User profile image
    Ubuntu

AndyC said:

I've usually got a PuTTY window or two open onto some Linux servers, does that count?

It counts as long as you are using PuTTY and not the Windows built-in telnet Wink

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Ubuntu said:
    AndyC said:
    *snip*

It counts as long as you are using PuTTY and not the Windows built-in telnet Wink

Windows built-in telnet is pretty useless as I use SSH exclusively. It's also not installed by default as of Vista.

• User profile image
    harumscarum

I installed redhat a few years ago and was pretty much, meh. At work (consultant) the only time I ever see linux is on a server farm. I don't dislike/hate linux its just I need to maintain and progress my skills in areas that will actually get me paid. I am sure that if I worked with enteprise software that ran on linux my experience would be flipped.

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

harumscarum said:

I installed redhat a few years ago and was pretty much, meh. At work (consultant) the only time I ever see linux is on a server farm. I don't dislike/hate linux its just I need to maintain and progress my skills in areas that will actually get me paid. I am sure that if I worked with enteprise software that ran on linux my experience would be flipped.

I use Linux daily at work, connecting to our Linux-based dev boxes via SSH.

My computer's a Mac, though.  It actually works better than the setup I'd be using if I were on Windows; X11 on Mac performs much better than X11 on Windows (via Cygwin)--  makes a difference when you've got multiple XTerms and at least one instance of a text editor open from the remote machine at any given point in the day.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

My CS dept's labs are mostly Linux boxes (CentOS, updated regularly) although they do have a lab full of Windows machines.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.