Coffeehouse Thread

48 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Boycott "Ultimate"

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jamie

as long mentioned on facebook - ultimate price went up - premium went down

http://twitpic.com/8fwn2

so lets all stop buying ultimate (just to be cool)

<jerry>who are these people that need ultimate? us?  well to be cool yes - but to be taken advantage of? no.

BOYCOTT ULTIMATE. 

HOME or BUSINESS only

?

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

I rather like being able to install the Japanese language pack. Only ultimate can do that unfortunately. Otherwise I'd probably be ok with Professional.

• User profile image
    jamie

Sven Groot said:

I rather like being able to install the Japanese language pack. Only ultimate can do that unfortunately. Otherwise I'd probably be ok with Professional.

if you need a letterhead - that looks official - to COMPLAIN - ill help

ps - last time - many went out and bought what they dont nessisarily need - lets not be so quick (to be cool) this time?

ONLY run ultimate if you need it.. otherwise you are a <wilma>square</wilma>

edit - and with that ill end with...

"Pump it up - ..until you cant feel it - when you don' really need it..

• User profile image
    Sabot

Jamie some of us have TechNet and MSDN licenses so, in theory, it's the same price for Ultimate as Home or Business, i.e. you've already paid for it, well for one year at least.

However I did fork out for Vista Ultimate and was bitterly disappointed that I didn't seem to get £100 extra benefit, so I wouldn't need to boycott it for Windows 7 .... I would just vote with my feet.

• User profile image
    jamie

Sabot said:

Jamie some of us have TechNet and MSDN licenses so, in theory, it's the same price for Ultimate as Home or Business, i.e. you've already paid for it, well for one year at least.

However I did fork out for Vista Ultimate and was bitterly disappointed that I didn't seem to get £100 extra benefit, so I wouldn't need to boycott it for Windows 7 .... I would just vote with my feet.

strange how it seems NO one was happy with ultimate...  cool video though eh? Wink  (you should know!)

edit: *except people who got it without regard for price: pirates / tech net / cartoonists?(me) / msdn subs etc

anyone who "paid" for it - was not happy in the end.

• User profile image
    longzheng

To be fair Jamie, those are Australian prices.

In the US, 7 Ultimate is cheaper than Vista Ultimate (when it launched).

• User profile image
    jamie

longzheng said:

To be fair Jamie, those are Australian prices.

In the US, 7 Ultimate is cheaper than Vista Ultimate (when it launched).

...but still more than all other versions.  just saying - lets all not be so hasty this time - for "ultimate" ... unless we need it

• User profile image
    Bas

I kind of like both the media and the remote desktop stuff, so if Ultimate is the only one that offers those, Ultimate it is.

• User profile image
    longzheng

jamie said:
    longzheng said:
    *snip*

...but still more than all other versions.  just saying - lets all not be so hasty this time - for "ultimate" ... unless we need it

As an Australian, I'm pretty dissapointed with these retail prices. We don't get preorder discounts either.

• User profile image
    jamie

longzheng said:
    jamie said:
    *snip*

As an Australian, I'm pretty dissapointed with these retail prices. We don't get preorder discounts either.

of course when i say "we" i mean consumers... not "us" that ...GET this stuff - by hook or by ..marketing Tongue Out

real people are peeved by ultimate - and i think us geeks are somewhat to blame.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

Bas said:

I kind of like both the media and the remote desktop stuff, so if Ultimate is the only one that offers those, Ultimate it is.

Do you need BitLocker? Do you need multilanguage UI?

If yes, you need Ultimate, if not, Pro is just fine.

• User profile image
    jamie

PaoloM said:
    Bas said:
    *snip*

Do you need BitLocker? Do you need multilanguage UI?

If yes, you need Ultimate, if not, Pro is just fine.

so - multiple languages - ok fine - i can see a seperate charge / seperate version for that (although it should just charge people who need an add-on for language - 20 bucks or something)

bit locker...  so thats weird corp encryption ,,, or is it saftey?  *i had that free ms app - that got a lot of news when it came out - i tried it out - cool.  but when i went to re-install - it borked my whole machine by having installed it

* that folder was like - i am so secure - you will have to BLOW ME UP

• User profile image
    blowdart

jamie said:
    PaoloM said:
    *snip*

so - multiple languages - ok fine - i can see a seperate charge / seperate version for that (although it should just charge people who need an add-on for language - 20 bucks or something)

bit locker...  so thats weird corp encryption ,,, or is it saftey?  *i had that free ms app - that got a lot of news when it came out - i tried it out - cool.  but when i went to re-install - it borked my whole machine by having installed it

* that folder was like - i am so secure - you will have to BLOW ME UP

Bit Locker isn't just for corporates (although you get better recovery if you are in an AD) - although the premium here is rather steep.

Frankly I'm not convinced you do get it. It's rather doubtful that you, Jamie, need Ultimate at all.

• User profile image
    jamie

blowdart said:
    jamie said:
    *snip*

Bit Locker isn't just for corporates (although you get better recovery if you are in an AD) - although the premium here is rather steep.

Frankly I'm not convinced you do get it. It's rather doubtful that you, Jamie, need Ultimate at all.

no i dont.  i need MS Windows 7 Adequate

(..or the point of the thread - *Can you see anything at all through those skinny fingers? Blow _art?)

• User profile image
    blowdart

jamie said:
    blowdart said:
    *snip*

no i dont.  i need MS Windows 7 Adequate

(..or the point of the thread - *Can you see anything at all through those skinny fingers? Blow _art?)

Really? I had the impression you'd only be content with a version just for you.

The vast majority of developers will want Professional, if only for the Virtual PC and remote desktop bits. Home users - home premium.

Those rare souls who want language packs, or are outside of an Enterprise and still want to use Bitlocker need ultimate. And will pay way way too much for it.

• User profile image
    jamie

blowdart said:
    jamie said:
    *snip*

Really? I had the impression you'd only be content with a version just for you.

The vast majority of developers will want Professional, if only for the Virtual PC and remote desktop bits. Home users - home premium.

Those rare souls who want language packs, or are outside of an Enterprise and still want to use Bitlocker need ultimate. And will pay way way too much for it.

i think someone needs to read this thread - and its NOT me

edit - here ill paraphrase:

vista days - many bought ultimate - not any more!!

** so how much is it?   ... I told you once..

Generic Forum Image

<OT> LionTamers Unite!!

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

jamie said:
    blowdart said:
    *snip*

i think someone needs to read this thread - and its NOT me

edit - here ill paraphrase:

vista days - many bought ultimate - not any more!!

** so how much is it?   ... I told you once..

Generic Forum Image

<OT> LionTamers Unite!!

Ultimate exists for one reason only, and it's something that's tought in Economics 101.

If you sell your product at $100 you might sell 10mln copies. If you price it $50 you might sell 30mln copies instead, so obviously you make more money with the lower price. However, there's 10mln people who would've paid $100 who now only paid $50, so that's money you could've made but didn't.

The way around that is market segmentation: you charge more to the people who want to pay more. Of course, you can't do this too transparently because people will cry foul. The most common solution is to release the product at $100, then take the price down after a few months. That way the people who are willing to pay $100 will pay it, and people who aren't willing to pay $100 can buy it later.

The other option, which is what MS is doing, is to have different versions of the product. MS knows there are people who are willing to pay more just for the idea they have the "ultimate" version, and of course MS wants that money. The people who aren't willing to pay that much can get Home Premium.

With Vista it wasn't done correctly though. By not making the editions supersets of each other, they forced people who wanted the features of both Business and Home Premium to get Ultimate. This might sound good from a marketers perspective, but in reality it meant that a lot of people who weren't in the "willing to pay more" group had to buy Ultimate to get the features they wanted, and this created backlash. Windows 7 appears to have done away with this concept.

This isn't anything strange or unusual. Everyone does it. Airlines in particular have turned it into an art, to the point that everybody in the plane will have paid a different price for exactly the same product.

• User profile image
    jamie

Sven Groot said:
    jamie said:
    *snip*

Ultimate exists for one reason only, and it's something that's tought in Economics 101.

If you sell your product at $100 you might sell 10mln copies. If you price it $50 you might sell 30mln copies instead, so obviously you make more money with the lower price. However, there's 10mln people who would've paid $100 who now only paid $50, so that's money you could've made but didn't.

The way around that is market segmentation: you charge more to the people who want to pay more. Of course, you can't do this too transparently because people will cry foul. The most common solution is to release the product at $100, then take the price down after a few months. That way the people who are willing to pay $100 will pay it, and people who aren't willing to pay $100 can buy it later.

The other option, which is what MS is doing, is to have different versions of the product. MS knows there are people who are willing to pay more just for the idea they have the "ultimate" version, and of course MS wants that money. The people who aren't willing to pay that much can get Home Premium.

With Vista it wasn't done correctly though. By not making the editions supersets of each other, they forced people who wanted the features of both Business and Home Premium to get Ultimate. This might sound good from a marketers perspective, but in reality it meant that a lot of people who weren't in the "willing to pay more" group had to buy Ultimate to get the features they wanted, and this created backlash. Windows 7 appears to have done away with this concept.

This isn't anything strange or unusual. Everyone does it. Airlines in particular have turned it into an art, to the point that everybody in the plane will have paid a different price for exactly the same product.

i get it - except apple sells for 30$ and 129$

not 200 and 300$  ..and the ever present Staples - $499! - ask an assistant

the pre-order prices - are GREAT - thats what windows should cost - basically 50 to 99 dollars

* i must admit - allowing the relase candidate to run for a year - and announcing pricing (above) for pre-order - brilliant

id hate to be someone who missed that offer though

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.