Coffeehouse Thread

25 posts

MS adjusts Win7 European Prices

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    blowdart

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=Operating+Systems&articleId=9135007&taxonomyId=89&pageNumber=1

Microsoft has said it will price the full editions of Windows 7E -- the "E" stands for "Europe" -- at the lower upgrade prices until at least Dec. 31, 2009.

So that's interesting. Until you realise  that Europe doesn't get any upgrade packages anyway, it's full clean install or nothing, because an upgrade from an existing system might leave bits of IE behind. So wow, we get a whole two months in Europe to get a cheaper version of Win7. That's "nice".

Of course it's still overpriced compared to the US upgrade prices:

The "full" version of Windows Professional will cost EU users €285, or $400.28, at Tuesday's exchange rate, even though that edition will be priced at the "upgrade" amount. In other words, EU customers will pay twice the $199.99 U.S. price.

• User profile image
    giovanni

Thank you EU for trying to include another browser in the OS and forgetting that in general we pay 200% the price of software in the US...

• User profile image
    ZippyV

giovanni said:

Thank you EU for trying to include another browser in the OS and forgetting that in general we pay 200% the price of software in the US...

... for less features: no voice recognition, no media center content.

• User profile image
    CKurt

ZippyV said:
    giovanni said:
    *snip*

... for less features: no voice recognition, no media center content.

My Media Center Guide works perfectly, but i guess you are talking about netflix and such?

• User profile image
    Bas

I'm getting pretty tired of this crap. I wonder how much Macs cost in Europe compared to the US?

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Bas said:

I'm getting pretty tired of this crap. I wonder how much Macs cost in Europe compared to the US?

In the UK, substantially more; on mainland Europe? not that much. You'll have better luck outside the EU though since the taxes might be lower. I'd give Apple Russia a try first.

ZippyV: what's that about voice recognition?

• User profile image
    ZippyV

W3bbo said:
    Bas said:
    *snip*

In the UK, substantially more; on mainland Europe? not that much. You'll have better luck outside the EU though since the taxes might be lower. I'd give Apple Russia a try first.

ZippyV: what's that about voice recognition?

English only.

• User profile image
    Bas

ZippyV said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

English only.

Not only is the voice recognition English only, you can't even dictate in English if you have a non-English UI. It just refuses to run.

Didn't stop them from advertising that feature with Vista, though.

• User profile image
    Chadk

Not a chance I'm paying $400 for Windows 7, when I can get a Mac AND Leopard(Snow Leopard once that ships) for $800.

Did I also mention that Snow Leopard will be $29 for the upgrade version?

• User profile image
    giovanni

Chadk said:

Not a chance I'm paying $400 for Windows 7, when I can get a Mac AND Leopard(Snow Leopard once that ships) for $800.

If you pay in US$ you won't be paying $400. Apple (and Adobe, and al.) all sell their software and hardware for twice as much in the EU compared to the US (sales taxes account for a difference of about 20% depending on the country).

• User profile image
    stevo_

Chadk said:

Uh, thats based on the fact you probably prefer OS X.. whilst imacs look great, I can't stand that pantsy * OS.. and I use it often.

• User profile image
    Dodo

Bas said:
    ZippyV said:
    *snip*

Not only is the voice recognition English only, you can't even dictate in English if you have a non-English UI. It just refuses to run.

Didn't stop them from advertising that feature with Vista, though.

Voice recognition is working in German, too. At least it did with Vista, I don't think it won't work in 7 anymore since it's basically the same.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Dodo said:
    Bas said:
    *snip*

Voice recognition is working in German, too. At least it did with Vista, I don't think it won't work in 7 anymore since it's basically the same.

There's a few languages that get voice recognition, including German, but Dutch isn't among them, and in all cases, your UI language must match the language you're trying to use.

• User profile image
    giovanni

Sven Groot said:
    Dodo said:
    *snip*

There's a few languages that get voice recognition, including German, but Dutch isn't among them, and in all cases, your UI language must match the language you're trying to use.

One more reason to use the English UI. Not a good one, I admit.

• User profile image
    BHpaddock

If you're in Europe you get the FULL version of Windows 7 for less than the Vista upgrade version... so what exactly is the complaint about?

• User profile image
    Bas

BHpaddock said:

If you're in Europe you get the FULL version of Windows 7 for less than the Vista upgrade version... so what exactly is the complaint about?

The fact that it's damned expensive.

• User profile image
    blowdart

Bas said:
    BHpaddock said:
    *snip*

The fact that it's damned expensive.

And it's reformat and reinstall time.

And it's a limited time offer. For all of two months from the release date (although to be fair maybe an upgrade version will appear after that)

• User profile image
    matthews

blowdart said:
    Bas said:
    *snip*

And it's reformat and reinstall time.

And it's a limited time offer. For all of two months from the release date (although to be fair maybe an upgrade version will appear after that)

Can you not upgrade in the Full versions at all? I know it's possible in the RC, and I'd imagine it ought to be the same as that. Or is it just the E versions that can't upgrade?

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.