Coffeehouse Thread

11 posts

Wondering if Longhorn will incorporate SphereXP.

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    qwert231

"The SphereXP is a 3D desktop replacement for Microsoft Windows XP. Taking the known concept of three-dimensional desktops to its own level. It offers a new way to organize objects on the desktop such a icons and applications. Check the videos and screenshots to get the idea."

I can see it being better, but wow, that's cool. I have 2 screens and it only works on one at a time.

• User profile image
    Jaz

highly unlikely since it's not a MS invention (or is it), though i think MS have probably played with this in the MS:R labs.

What i would like to see for the future of Outlook/Windows is the calender zoomer tool.  i'll find a link later unless anyone else finds it.

• User profile image
    jamie

thanks for that link - totally cool

( get avalon/aero out NOW!! Wink

• User profile image
    BHpaddock

Looks neat, and different than I expected.  Usually I think of "3d" shells as being something goofy and incredibly useless like, say, the MovieOS from Jurassic Park... or Hackers.

And while this still isn't something that I see as being super-useful, it is pretty darn cool.

I bet designing shell mods like that will be pretty easy once Longhorn/Avalon arrive.  And it should look a good deal better to boot!

• User profile image
    Joe Average

qwert231 wrote:
    "The SphereXP is a 3D desktop replacement for Microsoft Windows XP. Taking the known concept of three-dimensional desktops to its own level. It offers a new way to organize objects on the desktop such a icons and applications. Check the videos and screenshots to get the idea."

I can see it being better, but wow, that's cool. I have 2 screens and it only works on one at a time.
    I don't  think they will ship a 3D desktop environment (like SphereXP). I used it for a couple of hours a few weeks ago. It made me a lot less productive. For everything I wanted to do I needed to use the mouse at least 3 times as much.

On a side note, I can imagine some people getting nauseous.

If 3D desktops are inevitable, I'd rather see a Quake/Unreal/any other FPS game like environment you can walk through. Have you seen the movie "Hackers" with all the towers of files and info? More like that.

I do agree it looks very cool, but it's not providing me an efficient way of using my computer.

• User profile image
    lars

Whoa! I just had to download and try it out for myself. And it really cool! Too bad that it doesn't use multiple monitors (not mine anyway). But I like the idea. I think this has a real potential. Atleast for geeky users like myself.

/Lars.

• User profile image
    lenn

The new shell in Longhorn is called AERO, and it is GORGEOUS.  Not at all like this, some of you may have seen it at PDC if you were there.  Unfortunately I am not able to post screen shots here, but trust me you will not be disappointed in AERO.  Sphere XP is a cool innovation that you can use today, AERO is the shell platform for the future of Windows.

• User profile image
    ZippyV

When will we be able to see something from Aero (and play with it)?

• User profile image
    lenn

I am not sure when the product team will release a build with AERO unfortunately. Stay tuned.

• User profile image
    Jeremy W

Personally, I don't see the point of SphereXP and 3D environments YET. I've worked with most of the 3D environments out there (demo'd one a few months ago which was as close as I've found to 'productive' in that space).

I do think there will come a time where they can be useful, but they do need to stay focussed on one of two aspects. Either it's for entertainment OR it's for productivity.

If it's for entertainment, some of them make sense, but aren't focussed towards entertainment. There's too much work / productivity stuff in there.

If it's for productivity, design it from that perspective. The one I demo'd was a FPE (First Person Environment) which had some games (basketball) and was fully interactive (move furniture around). It was decent because it had keyboard shortcuts to your areas (applications, music, documents, websites).

It was fairly well designed, but working WITH it was tedious. Setting up a new website required going to the website area, loading IE, bookmarking it and then transferring the bookmark down. It became a layer on top of my process, instead of a replacement or enhancement to my process.

Productivity environments need to (in my opinion) do one of these two things: either they enhance how you do things (make steps faster, things easier to access) or they replace it (with compelling reasons why you should switch).

Anything which tries to straddle the fun / productivity line as well as the replacement / enhancement line simply won't see a large number of adopters.

I can't wait for one which does this succesfully though, and I can't wait to see Aero Wink

• User profile image
    Number9

3d.. hmm

well, i dont know why 3d is such a big deal..

The thing is, yeah, sure, you can have a 3d amazing looking interface... but will it be effecient and well designed?

People are used to their 2d desktops, so the goal is to make something that looks great but has more emphasis on usability and efficiency.

otherwise you'll end up with one crappy and annoying UI

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.