Coffeehouse Thread

14 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Visual Studio needs a new logo

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    W3bbo

They've been using the "Crystalised Infinity" symbol since what? MSIDE version 4.0, right?

So.... why don't we submit some drafts for a proposed new logo for MSIDE (and thus, Visual Studio)

It isn't too late to change Whidby, is it?

Anyway, rather than the misleading "Infinity" symbol (implying "Infinte Possibilities" which isn't true) because VS lacks compilers for rival platforms, so developing for say... MacOS-X isn't really possible

So I was thinking of something like a "ball and chain", or something sinister Wink

Your suggestions?

• User profile image
    Stitch 2.0

Actually I think it's a good idea. But I think there are at least 2 Problems:

1. It's not too easy to change the logo of a product which has been around as long as VS, 'cause users are used to it. They connect the logo with VS in their minds.
    2. MS probably won't let US design a new logo. They'd rather pay ten-thousands of dollars zu some kind of marketing firm or let the internal designers work on that task. (I'd wish to be wrong on that one, but I don't think so)

• User profile image
    Sabot

Stitch 2.0 wrote:
    Actually I think it's a good idea. But I think there are at least 2 Problems:
    1. It's not too easy to change the logo of a product which has been around as long as VS, 'cause users are used to it. They connect the logo with VS in their minds.
    2. MS probably won't let US design a new logo. They'd rather pay ten-thousands of dollars zu some kind of marketing firm or let the internal designers work on that task. (I'd wish to be wrong on that one, but I don't think so)

1. I'm not all that fussed about the logo as it's the changing the products name would cause most confusion. the infinity sign to me does not symbolise proper software development as I hope it doesn't go forever, but we should have a logo that symbolises a 'means to an end' ... and not Omega.
    2. What are you talking about, we have the world famous Jamie ... Jeff, give the guy a job!

• User profile image
    Stitch 2.0

Sabot wrote:
    2. What are you talking about, we have the world famous Jamie ... Jeff, give the guy a job!

I think you missed my last sentence in paranthesis Wink :
    (I'd wish to be wrong on that one, but I don't think so)

• User profile image
    sbc

Sabot wrote:
    Stitch 2.0 wrote:Actually I think it's a good idea. But I think there are at least 2 Problems:

1. I'm not all that fussed about the logo as it's the changing the products name would cause most confusion. the infinity sign to me does not symbolise proper software development as I hope it doesn't go forever, but we should have a logo that symbolises a 'means to an end' ... and not Omega.

Jamie's freelance, perhaps they could contract him for some work...

• User profile image
    jledgard

I don't work in Marketting or Branding, but I do belive the first thing Stitch said about the customer association with the product.  I personally don't really want to see it change unless the product goes through a dramitical change. 

My second point is that it is difficult to just change the art in the product at this stage.  The logo, especially, can be found all over the place in addition to the splash screen.  Its on help documentation, sample code, the start page, project icons, etc. 

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Well, going back on-topic

Office's logo of the jigsaw pieces, what with being "interlocking and integrated applications suite" (although now is just a bunch of squares)

Windows' logo of just "a window" (albiet, stylised)

Windows Media Player and Encoder are pretty straight-forward... the Windows colors with a "Play" and "Record" symbol in the middle respectivly.

Internet Explorer: A stylised "E" shaped as the earth with a comet going around it (Not anymore though)

DirectX: An "x", formerly a "Radioactive" symbol made to look like an "x"

So what for an integrated, dedicated windows, internet, and windows-platform development tool?

How about....

a) Something circular, representing the all-encompassing roles the IDE serves (Visio for planning, RAD, prototyping (although harder without VB6), development, debugging, compiling, building, releasing, deployment tools)
    b) Use the 4 Windows Colors... yeah, since it's a dev tool primarily for Windows
    c) And stuff.

I'm sure Jamie can take it from here Smiley

• User profile image
    Shaded

W3bbo wrote:

c) And stuff.

I'm sure Jamie can take it from here

I highly recommend a career in management.

• User profile image
    Stitch 2.0

Shaded wrote:
    I highly recommend a career in management.

LOL! You're right about that.....

• User profile image
    gangstah

How about this?

I LOVE times font.

Sorry Jamie, I guess I'm the artist on campus now.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

I was thinking (whilst sat down on the toilet last night) of a new logo

"An end to the means"

So I was thinking of the symbol that denotes an Interface in the DotNet Class Library.

A line with a circle at the end, the line representing workflow, the circle being the "end point", but also representing the other things I discussed above.

So Jamie: Can you give us some quick prototypes? Smiley

• User profile image
    androidi

There's other possible logos to do..

I am sure there are some apps coming that target Longhorn and do not have a logo yet. Or maybe XNA Studio, though I guess it has a logo by now.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

androidi wrote:
    Or maybe XNA Studio

Yet another dev tool I need to pay for?

Whatever happened to "Integrated Development Environments", eh? Wink

• User profile image
    littleguru

W3bbo wrote:
    androidi wrote: Or maybe XNA Studio

Yet another dev tool I need to pay for?

Whatever happened to "Integrated Development Environments", eh?

Hehe.. It's now called "Still In Development Environment". See Whidbey BETA 1, all the CTPs and hopefully soon BETA 2.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.