Coffeehouse Thread

33 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Prices released for Visual Studio 2005

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jonathanh
  • User profile image
    Rossj

jonathanh wrote:

"The line now includes five Express Editions, to be priced around $49 and targeted at novices. A number of promotions and discounts in the works could drop that price down to free, Sridharan said."

Not bad. Free would have been better but given the exchange rate ATM I guess it is low enough Smiley

• User profile image
    Minh

Does anyone know of a feature matrix for the different Visual Studio versions?

• User profile image
    sbc

Minh wrote:
    Does anyone know of a feature matrix for the different Visual Studio versions?

Also, I wonder which is the best for 2/3 developers working on a web application? Dreamweaver has check-in/check-out, which marks the files as read only on server when checked out, and on client when checked in. Or would version control be an added expense (even if all you want is Dreamweaver like behaviour)?

• User profile image
    littleguru

I could not figure out how much the "enterprise architect" version costs... I mean that version that contains the Team System and Testing Stuff... I have the March CTP (which is Professional) and does NOT contain the testing things...

I saw a number for the Team System that was higher then $ 3000. That's quite a lot!

• User profile image
    Jaz

$49 is a great price for the Express Products,  i'll definitly be putting C# Express on my shopping list.

• User profile image
    Tensor

littleguru wrote:
    I could not figure out how much the "enterprise architect" version costs... I mean that version that contains the Team System and Testing Stuff... I have the March CTP (which is Professional) and does NOT contain the testing things...

I saw a number for the Team System that was higher then $ 3000. That's quite a lot!

Arent you an ISV? Couldnt you just sign up for
    empower ISV?

• User profile image
    littleguru

never mind

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

Nice pricing model but I doubt I will drop VS .NET 2003 for awhile.  The only thing I would have been interested in was the Web Developer express edition being free like Web Matrix was.  But I guess you cant please everyone, I thought I had heard that the SQL Express edition was going to replace the MSDE and I thought that was supposed to be free, has that changed? or was the announcement that I heard on that premature.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

None of this really interests me, I'm more into the academic versions instead.

So long as the Academic version remains a superset of Professional or Microsoft maintains Academic-priced versions of the products (such as Enterprise Architect) then I'll be happy.

....And is affordable for us CompSci students Smiley

Although, I really would like Microsoft to get back and develop a decent Java IDE.

• User profile image
    ZippyV

Like we are used from Microsoft, the prices of the Express editions are exagerated. 25$ max, free is better. Don't start about promotions that could make it free, just do it.

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

ZippyV wrote:
    Like we are used from Microsoft, the prices of the Express editions are exagerated. 25$ max, free is better. Don't start about promotions that could make it free, just do it.

The Express editions i would have offered for free if it was me, cuz think about it. Microsoft wants to expand .NET usage. Java has a ton of IDE's out therefor free, and for a student who wants to get into programming or a Novice, which one are they going to settle for?  free versus Pay?  They pick free everytime. Microsoft could easily throw a stipulation like Borland does with its C# Builder Personal edition, you cant create commercial products with it, Non-commercial only.  Most novices that I know mostly make freeware, shareware or Open source anyway. Most commercial developers I know use full products like VS Enterprise. in fact thats what I use and yes I payed for it.  Its just a thought, I know MS wont change their mind and even now, there is SharpDevelop which has become a decent C# and VB .NET IDE.  But still, like I said, I will buy VS 2005 just not right now, but I think if MS was to offer the Express editions for free it would shock the community of Java developers and earn MS some mindshare, JAT.

• User profile image
    ZippyV

rjdohnert wrote:

The Express editions i would have offered for free if it was me, cuz think about it. Microsoft wants to expand .NET usage. Java has a ton of IDE's out therefor free, and for a student who wants to get into programming or a Novice, which one are they going to settle for?  free versus Pay?  They pick free everytime. Microsoft could easily throw a stipulation like Borland does with its C# Builder Personal edition, you cant create commercial products with it, Non-commercial only.  Most novices that I know mostly make freeware, shareware or Open source anyway. Most commercial developers I know use full products like VS Enterprise. in fact thats what I use and yes I payed for it.  Its just a thought, I know MS wont change their mind and even now, there is SharpDevelop which has become a decent C# and VB .NET IDE.  But still, like I said, I will buy VS 2005 just not right now, but I think if MS was to offer the Express editions for free it would shock the community of Java developers and earn MS some mindshare, JAT.

I couldn't agree more Smiley

• User profile image
    Shaded

rjdohnert wrote:

Educational licenses for VS Pro are $99, right now.  No upgrade.  That's full retail no volume license open license or Enterprise Agreement.

That might as well be free.  You could go take a basket weaving class at your community college and buy a copy from the school store, probably special order it if they don't have one behind the counter already.

I think they should start charging the schools a decent markup and quit gouging the rest of us.  ... but then here comes the teachers lobby screaming "our children our children."

Anyway my point is, if pro is $99 full retail academic I can't imagine what express is going to be, but I'm sure it will be too close to cheap as free.

• User profile image
    Mike Dimmick

So it looks like Enterprise Developer and Enterprise Architect are replaced by Team System for Software Developers and Team System for Software  Architects respectively. Neither will be available stand-alone, only with MSDN Premium subscriptions.

Reading this page, though, it looks like most of the features from the 2003 Enterprise Developer edition will be included in the 2005 Professional edition.

• User profile image
    Tensor

And as pointed out by Eagle in another thread - MSDN Universal goes away, and subscrivbers choose a new MSDN subscription based on VSTS - either tester, developer or architect edition.

So - which to choose!

• User profile image
    littleguru

Tensor wrote:
    And as pointed out by Eagle in another thread - MSDN Universal goes away, and subscrivbers choose a new MSDN subscription based on VSTS - either tester, developer or architect edition.

So - which to choose!

Isn't Architect the best, with a combination of both? I mean, isnt' it a combination between tester and developer?

• User profile image
    littleguru

It's weird that the Professional edition does not contain the Testing tools. Does a professional not need to test? Why did Microsoft not include it?

For project management and code profiling it's clear, but testing is an essential part of development. I don't understand that move.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.