Coffeehouse Thread

21 posts

What's with Hotmail?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Michael Griffiths

I'm kind of curious about what's happening with Hotmail. There's increased competition, and Yahoo! Mail has long been acknolwedged as far better. Gmail is great, but can't compete on features with either.

What blogs are written by MSN Hotmail developers?

Also: anyone think/know if Hotmail will be re-done in AJAX?

And: I notice several basic things in Hotmail are missing - subfolders, for example. Given Microsoft has Outlook, why isn't it leveraging more of that technology to make the best online service? I know Exchange has Outlook Live, but Hotmail hasn't been updated in ...long time.

• User profile image
    scobleizer

The Hotmail team is hard at work.

Omar Shahine is on the Hotmail front-door team and he has a blog. He's also been on Channel 9. We'll visit him again soon.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

scobleizer wrote:

The Hotmail team is hard at work.

Omar Shahine is on the Hotmail front-door team and he has a blog. He's also been on Channel 9. We'll visit him again soon.

I would like to know why Hotmail still (or appears to be) using CGI.

In this day and age... why arn't they using pure ISAPI like eBay?

• User profile image
    gman

hard at work DOING WHAT?

I wish I could be "hard at work" getting paid and releasing nothing

• User profile image
    Michael Griffiths

scobleizer wrote:

Yeah.. I have him.

But no one else.

On a side note: can someone please fix the MSNSearch Team Blog? It's a disaster.

I'd like a Hotmail Team Blog that actually worked, though.

• User profile image
    jonathanh

Michael Griffiths wrote:
    On a side note: can someone please fix the MSNSearch Team Blog? It's a disaster.
    What's disastrous about it?

• User profile image
    Michael Griffiths

jonathanh wrote:
    Michael Griffiths wrote: On a side note: can someone please fix the MSNSearch Team Blog? It's a disaster.
    What's disastrous about it?

Personal opinion Smiley

It's used mainly for press releases, like the Google blog, as opposed to something actually useful. The Yahoo! Search Blog is far better than either, though it could (naturally) use improvement.

For example, I'd like to see posts when a competitor comes out with a new product or service - treating it as a one-way communication channel focused entirely on MSN Search and not MSN Search within the industry is ...antiquated and really rather boring.

• User profile image
    jonathanh

Michael Griffiths wrote:
    Personal opinion

It's used mainly for press releases, like the Google blog, as opposed to something actually useful. The Yahoo! Search Blog is far better than either, though it could (naturally) use improvement.

For example, I'd like to see posts when a competitor comes out with a new product or service - treating it as a one-way communication channel focused entirely on MSN Search and not MSN Search within the industry is ...antiquated and really rather boring.
    I suspect that's a typical pitfall of a team blog - when there's shared ownership there's a natural tendency not to want to say anything that could be seen as controversial. Much easier to be interesting when it's just one person blogging, way out on a limb...

• User profile image
    Michael Griffiths

jonathanh wrote:
    I suspect that's a typical pitfall of a team blog - when there's shared ownership there's a natural tendency not to want to say anything that could be seen as controversial. Much easier to be interesting when it's just one person blogging, way out on a limb...

True, it probably is.

Still, Yahoo! does rather well - not as well as I'd like, but way ahead of either Google or MSN.

In some respects, it can be more damaging than not having a blog at all.

But probably not. Still; something to think about. If you're not going to use your blog, then it's better not to have a blog at all.

• User profile image
    scobleizer

Michael: I agree with you.

But I don't like team blogs. I don't even like the Microsoft sponsored blogs. I far prefer decentralized communities.

Even Channel 9 is too centralized for me. It's why I post most of my wacky thoughts on my blog rather than here.

When I post here I feel I'm speaking on behalf of other people and I am far less likely to take many risks.

On my personal blog, though, I might get fired for something I write but at least I don't think I'd be able to take other people along with me like if I posted something wacky here.

• User profile image
    scobleizer

gman: here's a video of what the Hotmail team has been working on.

Upgrading hundreds of millions of people isn't easy. You should try it sometime.

http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=39016#39016

• User profile image
    fnthawar

I'm confused as to why you would write that Gmail can't compete with either?  I'd say Gmail is light years ahead of both.  (Disclaimer: I haven't used Hotmail or Yahoo since I started using Gmail so perhaps they have implemented some of these features now)

Why?
    - Google searching all your mail
    - labels (not folders for marking your messages)
    - inline spell checking
    - auto-complete of addresses
    - free forwarding and POP access
    - auto-refresh of your inbox to see new mail
    - threaded view of your messages

Farhan

• User profile image
    MasterPi

I have yet to see why deleting a message could cause so much of a problem.  The whole concept of never having to throw any mail out baffles me.

mVPstar

• User profile image
    Stitch 2.0

mVPstar wrote:
    I have yet to see why deleting a message could cause so much of a problem.  The whole concept of never having to throw any mail out baffles me.

mVPstar

Let me give you an example:

A couple of months ago, I ordered a webspace. The account details were sendt to me by email.

Some days ago, when I finally wanted to use that webspace, all details were gone, since I had re-installed windows in the meantime and forgot to back-up my mail files. Since my old provider didn't allow to keep copies of the mails on the server, when fetched via POP3, all my mails were gone.....
    It took me 3 days to get the details one more time from the provider.

• User profile image
    MasterPi

That's because your provider didn't allow for copies to be kept.

Most providers allow you to keep messages.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

One of the issues with hotmail is HCI. Its far too cluttered compared to GMail.

Granted, it's more aesthetically pleasing than it used to be, but there's still plenty of room for improvement.

Hint: Get rid of all the animated GIF adverts!

• User profile image
    Michael Griffiths

fnthawar wrote:
    I'm confused as to why you would write that Gmail can't compete with either?  I'd say Gmail is light years ahead of both.  (Disclaimer: I haven't used Hotmail or Yahoo since I started using Gmail so perhaps they have implemented some of these features now)

Why?
    - Google searching all your mail
    - labels (not folders for marking your messages)
    - inline spell checking
    - auto-complete of addresses
    - free forwarding and POP access
    - auto-refresh of your inbox to see new mail
    - threaded view of your messages

Farhan

Gmail is far better than Hotmail.

I don't think you quite grasped what I said Wink

Michael Griffiths wrote:
    Gmail is great, but can't compete on features with either.

Gmail has a very, very good interface - but it doesn't offer calenders, tasks, reminders, etc. Which both Yahoo! and Hotmail do.

Plus. both Yahoo! Mail and Hotmail can sync with Outlook (if you're a premium suscriber), which is a very nice feature.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Michael Griffiths wrote:
    Gmail has a very, very good interface - but it doesn't offer calenders, tasks, reminders, etc. Which both Yahoo! and Hotmail do.

Plus. both Yahoo! Mail and Hotmail can sync with Outlook (if you're a premium suscriber), which is a very nice feature.

Outlook Web Access does ALL of this and with an intuitive user-interface.. why are you neglecting it, especilly since it's a Microsoft product Wink

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.