Coffeehouse Thread

10 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Mobile Email

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Tryfen

Hi All,

Just wondering how you guys get your email on the move?

WAP
    Blackberry
    Wireless Lan
    GPRS on Laptop (or other wireless telecoms protocol)
    Dial-up
    Ring secretary Smiley

I'm using my Blackberry a lot more than I thought I would (yup - I'm one of those guys who reads their email on the loo!), but I also tend to use GPRS on my laptop if I want to do anything complicated.

So, what do you do to get your @ fix?

T

• User profile image
    tiernan

i use my nokia 7650 and my handspring treo 90 with bluetooth. i can check and send mail on both. on the nokia i connnect over GPRS, on the palm, its though dial up. i would like some sort of wifi card for the palm, but no one has one that works with Palm OS4.1. i might get a windows PDA, they look sweet. do they work with OWA or exchange over a VPN? Any ideas?

• User profile image
    Howard

I use my XDA2 (Pocket PC + Phone) device to check e-mail on the go.  I connect over GPRS.  It works pretty well and even roams across GPRS networks when I'm traveling in other countries - but the costs do start adding up (and in India for some reason it doesn't work at all).

Tiernan, I use GPRS to sync my Pocket Outlook with my Exchange server - so I'm not actually using Pocket Internet Explorer to check my mail - it's all done through Outlook.  It's pretty good; I can select which folders to synchronize and the sync schedule (and also I can limit the KB per message to download).

• User profile image
    GraemeF

Tryfen wrote:
    (yup - I'm one of those guys who reads their email on the loo!),

Oh pur-lease! I'm eating my lunch! Smiley

• User profile image
    gmiley

GraemeF wrote:
    Tryfen wrote: (yup - I'm one of those guys who reads their email on the loo!),

Oh pur-lease! I'm eating my lunch! Smiley

Then you probably don't want to know that I read my mail while eating my lunch while on the loo...

Now for the serious portion:
    -
    I use my Zaurus or laptop on wireless lan at home, or connect either device through my cell when on the go.

• User profile image
    matthews13

i use a smartphone connecting back to exchange 2003 OMA.  i also use my laptop to connect to exchange externally via rpc over https.

-Mark

• User profile image
    lkuhn

I use my smartphone - it does over the air sync to my Exchange mailbox a few times a day, or on demand.  It's very good for getting/staying caught up on read-only type stuff while I'm commuting on the train or for the emergency "must reply now" situation - but I'm not a fan of T9, although I have gotten better with it over time.  It took me a long while to not look at it's pathetically bizarre guessing mid-word.  I now have a good sense of which words I can trust it to get right, and which ones are going to be a problem.

I'd like to see another big breakthrough in battery life though - I can barely make it through one full day (of fairly intensive in-call and email reading use, I'll admit) on a single charge.

• User profile image
    tiernan

yea, id love a smartphone, but the only one thats not locked to a network is the Motorola MPx-200, and its not supported by any network in Ireland. Hopefully with the release of the MPx or MPx-100, someone here will take it on, but i dont think it will happen. pity.

• User profile image
    stephbu

I'm finding the Outlook/Exchange combination more and more useful as a multi-device data aggregator.  I usually leave it running on my desktop @work - I'm using Newsgator w/ subscriptions for my RSS needs.

My Laptop, PDA, Phone, home machines then just sync against my Exchange folders Inbox, Calendar, News etc...  (As well as having Outlook Web Access for those days when I managed forget all the appliances)

• User profile image
    Jizg

Topetón

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.