Coffeehouse Thread

74 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Abandoned

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    RamblingGeek​UK

I feel that c9 has been abandoned.  With the issues in the forms... it doesn't appear is that the c9 Team is even looking..... is c9 dead?

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

I was beginning to wonder where they all are -- no new 'This Week' videos, some spam reports not being followed up.  Are people taking extended Christmas holidays or something?  So much for transparency? Sad

Herbie

• User profile image
    RamblingGeek​UK

Dr Herbie said:

I was beginning to wonder where they all are -- no new 'This Week' videos, some spam reports not being followed up.  Are people taking extended Christmas holidays or something?  So much for transparency? Sad

Herbie

Yea... it's a shame... c9 was such an great place once..... 

• User profile image
    Bas

I've been thinking the same thing. There's been new videos, but all in all it just feels like there's something going on. Real shame.

• User profile image
    sushovande

Bas said:

I've been thinking the same thing. There's been new videos, but all in all it just feels like there's something going on. Real shame.

* crickets *

• User profile image
    kettch

I think the trouble started when they started putting the C9 team in charge of all kinds of other stuff. They have stuff at PDC, they run MIX, who knows how much other stuff. It would be nice for them to check in once in a while. At least tell us you aren't dead.

• User profile image
    spivonious

It has seemed kind of dead here. Maybe they're busy fixing forum bugs?

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

spivonious said:

It has seemed kind of dead here. Maybe they're busy fixing forum bugs?

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

You're so funny spivonious!

Herbie

• User profile image
    spivonious

Dr Herbie said:
    spivonious said:
    *snip*

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

You're so funny spivonious!

Herbie

Cool

• User profile image
    jeffsand

Sorry for the quietness. A few things happening.

1) We have been having some problems with server infrastructure and we've been rebuilding out problematic nodes. This has been a cause of many of the unfortunate and unacceptable outages and our hoster is on it.

2) A number of folks took a well deserved break over the winter holidays and things are now back in full swing. Microsoft gets very quiet in and around Christmas.

3) We've staffed up, bringing on two new full-time employees to the team (Cara and Geoff) that have replaced Erik and Nathan. As mentioned previously Erik/Nathan moved over to the ASP.NET team to work full time on Project Orchard and Oxite moved over with them as part of that. Erik and Nathan spent a lot of time on Oxite. With Oxite moved out of our team now we can give 9 much more attention.

It took a bit to bring the new folks onto the team and get rolling, but things are starting to clip along. We're making great progress on the Revolution 9 Major Revision of Channel 9. This is the project that we focus on UX, Information Architecture and most important of all stability and performance for Channel 9. The good news is that with Oxite moved over to ASP.NET Geoff, Cara and Sampy get to focus most of their time on Channel 9.

We're being very careful about communicating dates about when the next iteration of Channel 9 goes out the door. Once we get through a few more sprints we'll come onto This Week on Channel 9 to give some demos and demonstrate progress.

Again sorry for the quietness. In almost six years of being with Channel 9, I think we have some of our best work coming up ahead.

Stay tuned so we can prove that to you. Smiley

• User profile image
    figuerres

jeffsand said:

Sorry for the quietness. A few things happening.

1) We have been having some problems with server infrastructure and we've been rebuilding out problematic nodes. This has been a cause of many of the unfortunate and unacceptable outages and our hoster is on it.

2) A number of folks took a well deserved break over the winter holidays and things are now back in full swing. Microsoft gets very quiet in and around Christmas.

3) We've staffed up, bringing on two new full-time employees to the team (Cara and Geoff) that have replaced Erik and Nathan. As mentioned previously Erik/Nathan moved over to the ASP.NET team to work full time on Project Orchard and Oxite moved over with them as part of that. Erik and Nathan spent a lot of time on Oxite. With Oxite moved out of our team now we can give 9 much more attention.

It took a bit to bring the new folks onto the team and get rolling, but things are starting to clip along. We're making great progress on the Revolution 9 Major Revision of Channel 9. This is the project that we focus on UX, Information Architecture and most important of all stability and performance for Channel 9. The good news is that with Oxite moved over to ASP.NET Geoff, Cara and Sampy get to focus most of their time on Channel 9.

We're being very careful about communicating dates about when the next iteration of Channel 9 goes out the door. Once we get through a few more sprints we'll come onto This Week on Channel 9 to give some demos and demonstrate progress.

Again sorry for the quietness. In almost six years of being with Channel 9, I think we have some of our best work coming up ahead.

Stay tuned so we can prove that to you. Smiley

well i hope no offence is taken if we all kind of take the attitude of "We will belive it when we see it"

I do want to see it and be amazed / pleased / and other good words.... but so far this site has never IMHO lived up to what .Net can do.

- I have been developing with .Net since it came out, i know what it can do. PLEASE get this system right this time.

• User profile image
    Bas

figuerres said:
    jeffsand said:
    *snip*

well i hope no offence is taken if we all kind of take the attitude of "We will belive it when we see it"

I do want to see it and be amazed / pleased / and other good words.... but so far this site has never IMHO lived up to what .Net can do.

- I have been developing with .Net since it came out, i know what it can do. PLEASE get this system right this time.

Yeah, definite "I'll believe it when I see it" from me too. Good to hear that the site hasn't been abandoned or anything, and definitely good news that there are two new full-timers on the team, but forgive me if the "We'll have more time for C9 now" and "This next thing will be amazing!" cards don't really have all that much value anymore.

• User profile image
    RamblingGeek​UK

Bas said:
    figuerres said:
    *snip*

Yeah, definite "I'll believe it when I see it" from me too. Good to hear that the site hasn't been abandoned or anything, and definitely good news that there are two new full-timers on the team, but forgive me if the "We'll have more time for C9 now" and "This next thing will be amazing!" cards don't really have all that much value anymore.

Yeah...  my feelings exactly.  I feel like c9 has lost what I found so amazing in the first place.  All of the interviews with the dev's seem planned, it never felt that way when it first started.

I'm not sure but did it start to go down hill when scoble left?

I'm more conerned about good content then a flashy website.....

Sorry Jeff and c9 team.... your going to have to win us over

• User profile image
    Spectate​Swamp

Kryptos said:
    Bas said:
    *snip*

Yeah...  my feelings exactly.  I feel like c9 has lost what I found so amazing in the first place.  All of the interviews with the dev's seem planned, it never felt that way when it first started.

I'm not sure but did it start to go down hill when scoble left?

I'm more conerned about good content then a flashy website.....

Sorry Jeff and c9 team.... your going to have to win us over

I would like to help out here. Only for a bit.

You list 10 bugs that you want me to randomly select and play (large font delayed text). Add 10 per week and I'll video 3 or 4 of those each day and post those videos for 1 day.  The one I'll post is "what the h*** is with the dropping view counts?"  I have a witness...

This is extremely easy to do with SSDS and I would have the first video ready to play later today.

Of course I'd pass it on to someone there ASAP Because I don't give a damn about your dumb old bugs.

• User profile image
    sysrpl

I believe the problems here are the same ones which forced the 2004 Longhorn reset. That is to say, when building things of moderate complexity upon .NET technologies, eventually things begin to fall apart. It's obvious the servers here cannot handle the .NET backend which powers this site.

At least that's the impression the C9 people are leaving us with.

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

sysrpl said:

I believe the problems here are the same ones which forced the 2004 Longhorn reset. That is to say, when building things of moderate complexity upon .NET technologies, eventually things begin to fall apart. It's obvious the servers here cannot handle the .NET backend which powers this site.

At least that's the impression the C9 people are leaving us with.

As someone who makes a living developing moderate to extremely complicated 'things' in .Net, I can safely say that you have no idea what you are talking about.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

ScanIAm said:
    sysrpl said:
    *snip*

As someone who makes a living developing moderate to extremely complicated 'things' in .Net, I can safely say that you have no idea what you are talking about.

Agreed. C9's reliability problems are the fault of either the servers or the site's own code, not of .Net.

• User profile image
    Spectate​Swamp

Sven Groot said:
    ScanIAm said:
    *snip*

Agreed. C9's reliability problems are the fault of either the servers or the site's own code, not of .Net.

That's 4 so far

New list of bugs, bitches, problems and dumb solutions

(1) (Point)
    What the H*ll is with shrinking view counts
    I have a witness
    SpectateSwamp

(2) (Point)
    Can your servers handle the Huge Huge .net backend overhead.. Yet
    sysrpl

(3) (Point)
    Dumb Ole Sysrpl's Huge Huge backend problem doesn't make any sence
    ScanIam

(4) (Point)
    SvenGroot Claims C9 reliability problem not due to .net Boo Sysrpl you are wrong?

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.