Coffeehouse Thread

15 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

What's in your RSS Feed list?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    lostdude

Just thoguht I'd ask...

I use the Pluck reader. It's been pretty good so far and it''s in my price range. I keep a few news feeds and a Fark feed along with feeds from (in no particular order) Infoworld, cnet, activewin, neowin, MSDN, MCP mag, IT Papers, WinXP Expert Zone, wininsider, computerworld to name a few.

How'bout you folks?

• User profile image
    jamie

i posted elsewhere im a newbie to rss - but i dont think id want an app at all ...  why not go to the sites in a browser... or make your own personal portal...  even a frames holder with links to all the stuff you want to watch - like my www.winnews.com ?

The only part i find interesting about rss is to be able to publish stuff from other sites in a portal..
    -again for lack of better example - above link.. id love to have winbeta.org & channel9's rss live in the center..  just havent figured out how to do that..

1. open frontpage
    2. go to channel 9
    3. click the rss button
    stare.......
    Wink

• User profile image
    Sean

I use Newsgator (http://www.newsgator.com/).  It's not free, but I like it for 2 things.

1) it has a nice "Outlook Today" like page that shows up in Outlook 2003.
    2) it can read/reply to NNTP.  That comes in really handy when you're not a fan of Outlook Express Smiley

I'm still stuck on the RSS feeds.  I'd like there to be some sort of feed that tells you about upcoming events in your town.  I found http://www.upcoming.org, but its all public and no many people know about it.  So the quality of the events isn't too high.

Anyone know of any good "What's up in your hood" RSS Feeds?

Sean

• User profile image
    Loadsgood

I use www.desktopsidebar.com for all my rss needs it does a lot more which you can find out about on the site. It just sits on the side of your screen (and is moveable) but the only thing is it resizes all new programs screens (you know, like when I maximumize Internet explorer it doesn't go all the way to the edge of the screen it goes all the way to the edge of desktop sidebar(so that you can still see it) that is also a good thing) As well as being able to fit in anyone's budjet (FREE) and able to have it running all the time from startup to shutdown is really good for me if I am bored of working I just read the headlines I see. It can read .klip rss and xml feeds.

My News feed sites include:
    Activewin, Neowin, The Register, Slashdot, 3D gamers, CNN, Foxnews, Newyork times, CNET NEWS, MSDN, Beta News, Channel 9 (Of course) and a whole lot more. Smiley

• User profile image
    CGuy

I'm using SharpReader. It doesn't seem to have a website of its own but the author has one.

My list...

Joel on Software
    Secure Coding mailing list
    IRhetoric - Karsten Januszewski web log
    Channel9
    MSDN Blogs
    Space.com
    roBlog dot org
    MSDN: Security
    SecurityFocus Vulns
    SecurityFocus News
    CNET News.com
    Quotes of the Day (quotationspage.com)
    Dictionary.com Word of the Day
    Wired

... and others.

Regards

Oh, by the way, are there any RSS feeds from Technet? I haven't found any to date but I'd love to have a feed for Technet Security.

• User profile image
    AdamKinney

Here's SharpReader's site: http://sharpreader.net/

You might find this site interesting, its all about who's reading what blogs:

http://feeds.scripting.com

• User profile image
    vanlandw

i have mostly friends sites....tech news, videogame news sites....if anybody honestly gives a rats * i could send them a list....or a few of them are listed on my website...

• User profile image
    androidi

Ever heard of exporting OPML? Basically it's the "list" of what feeds your subscribed to.

• User profile image
    BanjoFrog

Gadget blogs galore!

www.gizmodo.com
    www.engadget.com
    www.gadgetmadness.com
    www.smartphonethoughts.com
    www.pocketpcthoughts.com

and of course...

www.freeafterrebate.info
    www.slickdeals.net

• User profile image
    KevinClement

Just thought I'd chime in with what I use for rss.

http://www.bloglines.com

Its a free web-based rss tracker.  This makes it nice because I have access to my blogs from work and home without having to install software or sync them up.

They have some precanned feeds but you can just specify the feed manually to get the others.  I did that for channel9 and it works great.

• User profile image
    ElreyRonald

My feeds are mostly from microsoft bloggers from
    ASP.NET site because it is the greatest help.

I am a blogger.com fan but my favorite right now is RssReader.  Its free just like the SharpReader. 

Do you want your own wiki is RSS?  Why don't you download and try my easy to install program or the ASP code at this site   Enjoy!

• User profile image
    Jeremy W

KevinClement wrote:
    Just thought I'd chime in with what I use for rss.

http://www.bloglines.com

Its a free web-based rss tracker.  This makes it nice because I have access to my blogs from work and home without having to install software or sync them up.

They have some precanned feeds but you can just specify the feed manually to get the others.  I did that for channel9 and it works great.

Kevin, I'm so with you. I was an avid SharpReader user, but got sick of emailing my OPML files back and forth from home to work each week.

I've been using BlogLines for about 3 months and I've been very, very happy with it. Great little app.

• User profile image
    SKG

Another vote here for RssReader!

• User profile image
    Peter​Marshall

Not only do I use bloglines (because I can be working on any one of up to 6 PC's) but they provide a way of getting my feeds into my blog to create my blogroll automatically. Rory, is very high on my daily radar scan.

• User profile image
    mykoleary

I've beenusing Pocket Rss to check things out on the go.

Don't visit many blogs yet, but currently I'm using a blog OPML file and a news OPML file that I hacked up.

BTW, for those bloggers that are looking for THE blogs to RSS daily, check out Seth Godin's BullMarket 2004 eBook.  It has a long list of must read blogs.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.