Coffeehouse Thread

8 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

WHS or Win 7 installation?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    choice2rejo​ice

    I don't get the whole WHS thing. Why not just have a normal Win 7 installation? So you get no driver issues, a Media Center, so you can stream also on that same pc to your tv. What does WHS do more, or better???

     

    Greetzz

  • User profile image
    AndyC

    Backs up all your PCs, acts as a Remote Desktop gateway into your network, secure remote access to file shares, supports auto-duplication of data across drives on a per-share basis, network wide health notifications, totally headless operation.

  • User profile image
    choice2rejo​ice

    AndyC said:

    Backs up all your PCs, acts as a Remote Desktop gateway into your network, secure remote access to file shares, supports auto-duplication of data across drives on a per-share basis, network wide health notifications, totally headless operation.

    All that is also possible with on a Win 7 installation and some programs. So the only bennefit of WHS is that it works out-of-the-box?

  • User profile image
    AndyC

    choice2rejoice said:
    AndyC said:
    *snip*

    All that is also possible with on a Win 7 installation and some programs. So the only bennefit of WHS is that it works out-of-the-box?

    Some of that is really quite difficult on just Windows 7. Of course you could probably find a bunch of applications that might do it, or at least just the bits you want, the question is really whether that is worth all the effort?

     

  • User profile image
    choice2rejo​ice

    AndyC said:
    choice2rejoice said:
    *snip*

    Some of that is really quite difficult on just Windows 7. Of course you could probably find a bunch of applications that might do it, or at least just the bits you want, the question is really whether that is worth all the effort?

     

    Well, you'll have to install and configure some more, yes, but then you'll have just one pc, that does it all....and more.

    Hmmm, ok, I already thought so. Thx for aswering my question.

     

    By the way: I understand that in a business situation, you don't want a configuration like mine. But for a home situation..... Big Smile

  • User profile image
    Bas

    choice2rejoice said:
    AndyC said:
    *snip*

    Well, you'll have to install and configure some more, yes, but then you'll have just one pc, that does it all....and more.

    Hmmm, ok, I already thought so. Thx for aswering my question.

     

    By the way: I understand that in a business situation, you don't want a configuration like mine. But for a home situation..... Big Smile

    In my home situation I have three PC's that I want to have backed up daily, that all need access to the same printer, that all need access to the same shared files etc. I could technically set up one Windows 7 PC that shares all that stuff and regularly schedules a backup for each device, but I'd have to remember to turn it on in order to run backups or as soon as another PC needs the shared folders or needs to print something. Also I couldn't really work on that PC because the backups are on there, and if I ruin the PC the backups are ruined too.

     

    Or I could just put a WHS in the closet and not deal with all that stuff. That's basically the main advantage. If you don't have more than one PC in your household, sure, you won't have any use for it, but as soon as there's more than one it becomes ideal.

  • User profile image
    spivonious

    WHS also puts all of your drives in one big lump and will duplicate folders across drives if you tell it to. Kind of like a RAID 1 setup, but without the requirement for duplicate drives.

     

    Personally, I'd wait for the new WHS to come out, codenamed "Vail", and based on a Win Server 2008 R2 core instead of the Win Server 2003 core of WHS.

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    spivonious said:

    WHS also puts all of your drives in one big lump and will duplicate folders across drives if you tell it to. Kind of like a RAID 1 setup, but without the requirement for duplicate drives.

     

    Personally, I'd wait for the new WHS to come out, codenamed "Vail", and based on a Win Server 2008 R2 core instead of the Win Server 2003 core of WHS.

    It's more comparable to JBOD than RAID.

     

    To add to the other responses: the main argument is that WHS is meant for Home users (the hint's in the "H") that don't want to manage their network and set things up as you'd have to do with any other Windows Server or regular Windows box.

     

    BTW, Terminal Services Gateway (aka Remote Desktop Gateway) isn't available for desktop Windows versions anyway, so short of getting a VPN server (which also isn't included in desktop Windows) you've got no other option to access multiple TS servers from outside your home network.

     

    (well okay, you can do some messing around with TS bindings and port-forwarding on your NAT, but whatever).

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.