Coffeehouse Thread

24 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Countdown to VS2010 RTM

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    figuerres

SO sometime this month they said the RC would be released...

and only so much time till the RTM date is left.

So will RC come out this week? Next week?

Looking forward to this major update to VS Smiley

• User profile image
    W3bbo

I'm just interested in the launch event with the usual free food and complimentary copy of VS2010, I hope it's at the ICC again. Anyone else thnking of going?

• User profile image
    Jaz

W3bbo said:

I'm just interested in the launch event with the usual free food and complimentary copy of VS2010, I hope it's at the ICC again. Anyone else thnking of going?

Aye, me and my trusty partners in crime shall be attending the 2010 launch, the ICC was a good venue last time

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

W3bbo said:

I've been waiting for someone here to link to the registration page so I can register because I can never remember where the registration pages usually appear...

Herbie

• User profile image
    ManipUni

Dr Herbie said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

I've been waiting for someone here to link to the registration page so I can register because I can never remember where the registration pages usually appear...

Herbie

Google Big Smile

• User profile image
    Bas

I hope there's a launch event over here. Goodies!

• User profile image
    PerfectPhase

I'm running the SLCTP3 build and it is a revelation compared to Beta2, really looking forward to the RC to get Silverlight 4 support back.

• User profile image
    sushovande

ManipUni said:
    Dr Herbie said:
    *snip*

Google Big Smile

Or click here

• User profile image
    ManipUni

No real point playing with toys I can't use at work. I still use Express / 2005. I doubt MSDN will happen for some time and even I would struggle to make a business case for it...

• User profile image
    JoshRoss

I wish that Framework 4.0 would be released first.  It seems to me that it is more mature than VS2010.  Plus, the problems that I have encountered are less likely framework problems than VS problems.  If the framework was released, say tomorrow, I could deploy apps written today.

I opt into whatever I can during the testing phase, hoping to provide as much empirical input as possible through instrumentation.  The three bugs that I regularly encounter in beta2 are:

* UI redraw issues, where I can see through the IDE in some spots

* IDE hangs either when the app loads, a project loads, or I try to debug a project

* When getting symbols for the BCL, VS doesn't seem to load the cached local copies

• User profile image
    figuerres

ManipUni said:

No real point playing with toys I can't use at work. I still use Express / 2005. I doubt MSDN will happen for some time and even I would struggle to make a business case for it...

2005 express ... wow!

at least get the current express version!

btw if you have not heard Manip:  VS 2010 with MSDN gets you TFS licensing now.

also TFS 2010 can now be installed on a desktop PC for a small / single user case.

also TFS can be installed on a single server much easyer now than in the past.

also VS 2010 now has only 3 SKU's not like before where they had way to many.

VS 2010 premium includes the Database stuff that was a seperate SKU before so you can use TFS to store the sql scripts and do Sql server schema and proc version control.

and well a bunch of other good things are now in the middle SKU that costs the same as the old VS Pro + MSDN cost.

• User profile image
    PerfectPhase

ManipUni said:

The multi targeting is much better in 2010, even if your tied to .Net 2.0 it's still worth looking at the upgrade.

• User profile image
    jmzl666

PerfectPhase said:
    ManipUni said:
    *snip*

The multi targeting is much better in 2010, even if your tied to .Net 2.0 it's still worth looking at the upgrade.

I want it in now,  i need my vs2010 fix, know I have a virtual server for me waiting at work so i can play whit Test Lab Management, this coming days are going to be very,  very long.

• User profile image
    JoshRoss

PerfectPhase said:
    ManipUni said:
    *snip*

Outside of IIS deployments, do you use multi targeting?  It doesn't seem to me to be such a big issue to ensure that clients have the latest runtime installed.

• User profile image
    figuerres

JoshRoss said:
    PerfectPhase said:
    *snip*

Outside of IIS deployments, do you use multi targeting?  It doesn't seem to me to be such a big issue to ensure that clients have the latest runtime installed.

well i have about 160 desktops that are locked down and not in one lan. to update the framework version on all of them would be a huge hassle.

i also have about 100 CE handhelds to update.

they use .Net cf 3.5

then i have some apps and some web sites using 3.5 sp1

and some web services using 2.0 and others using 3.5 sp1

i would like to move it all to 4.0 this year *IF* i can find a way to make it easy.

• User profile image
    JoshRoss

figuerres said:
    JoshRoss said:
    *snip*

well i have about 160 desktops that are locked down and not in one lan. to update the framework version on all of them would be a huge hassle.

i also have about 100 CE handhelds to update.

they use .Net cf 3.5

then i have some apps and some web sites using 3.5 sp1

and some web services using 2.0 and others using 3.5 sp1

i would like to move it all to 4.0 this year *IF* i can find a way to make it easy.

You could use group policy to deploy the framework, on the desktops.  For the handhelds, it is a lost cause.

• User profile image
    figuerres

JoshRoss said:
    figuerres said:
    *snip*

You could use group policy to deploy the framework, on the desktops.  For the handhelds, it is a lost cause.

Nope can't do that cause they are not any kind of "Group" not my choise but they are a mix of XP Home and Vista Home boxes and no domain at all. just 160 pc's all running the same software. if i could have made them all be XP pro or equiv with a domain i would have.

• User profile image
    PerfectPhase

JoshRoss said:
    PerfectPhase said:
    *snip*

The bulk of the product I'm working on is now in .Net 4, but it makes sense to keep a few of our client side API libraries in .NET 3.5 as not everyone is prepared to move their codebase to the new version as fast as us.   

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.