Coffeehouse Thread

8 posts

.NET 4.0 essential booklist

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    vesuvius

It is no secret that .NET 4.0 is out soon. What 3 books are on your "essential" shopping list? Mine are;

1. Pro C# 2010 by Andrew Troelsen (I have the 2005 and 2008 editions)
    2. Programming WCF Services by Juval Lowy
    3. CLR Via C# by Jeffrey Richter
  • User profile image
    spivonious

Right now, my plan is to read the MSDN section on the new parallel libraries.

• User profile image
    exoteric

These books may be on my wishlist- not sure

Pro LINQ: Language Integrated Query in C# 2010 LINQ in Action

• User profile image
    Bass

Don't really think I need to read a book to learn an API. MSDN or blogs should be fine.

This is on my todo list (someday?), I don't know how relevant it is to .NET though:

"Hacking, the Art of Exploitation" by Jon Erickson

http://www.amazon.com/Hacking-Art-Exploitation-Jon-Erickson/dp/1593271441/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1265912489&sr=8-2

"Free Culture" by Lawrence Lessig

http://www.amazon.com/Free-Culture-Nature-Future-Creativity/dp/0143034650/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1265912463&sr=8-1

"The Age of Spiritual Machines" by Ray Kurzweil

http://www.amazon.com/Age-Spiritual-Machines-Computers-Intelligence/dp/0140282025/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1265912597&sr=8-1

• User profile image
    Bass

spivonious said:

Right now, my plan is to read the MSDN section on the new parallel libraries.

The task parallel library basically just takes LINQ and makes it parallel, adds parallel map function called Parallel.ForEach, as well as Parallel.For, and a thread pool / blocks implementation a la Grand Central Dispatch. It's very simple stuff.

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

Bass said:
    spivonious said:
    *snip*

The task parallel library basically just takes LINQ and makes it parallel, adds parallel map function called Parallel.ForEach, as well as Parallel.For, and a thread pool / blocks implementation a la Grand Central Dispatch. It's very simple stuff.

You forgot to mention the new concurrent collection classes. And I think you're underestimating the entirety of the TPL. Sure, for simple scenario's it's not really difficult, to just use a Parallel.ForEach or Parallel.For, but to grasp the architecture of the TPL and all its possibilities is not “very simple stuff”.

• User profile image
    Bass

TommyCarlier said:
    Bass said:
    *snip*

You forgot to mention the new concurrent collection classes. And I think you're underestimating the entirety of the TPL. Sure, for simple scenario's it's not really difficult, to just use a Parallel.ForEach or Parallel.For, but to grasp the architecture of the TPL and all its possibilities is not “very simple stuff”.

I'm sure a lot of people find some TPL really difficult to grasp, but then again I've personally found that some people have difficulty grasping what the "if" statement does in C. I personally have difficulty understanding the advanced concepts of Topology, while there others who take to it like a fish in the water. Simple is subjective.

• User profile image
    alexmac

Bass said:
    TommyCarlier said:
    *snip*

I'm sure a lot of people find some TPL really difficult to grasp, but then again I've personally found that some people have difficulty grasping what the "if" statement does in C. I personally have difficulty understanding the advanced concepts of Topology, while there others who take to it like a fish in the water. Simple is subjective.

The updated CLR book should be pretty awesome the first one is well worth a read.

Exoteric -would recommend the LINQ in action book (havent read the apress one)

Jon Skeet is probably nearly done with his next edition of C# in depth which I am looking forward to.

Should probably pimp my own book as well (Introducing .net 4 with VS2010 by Apress (http://www.apress.com/book/view/143022455x an overview of all the changes)

The TPL & threading api changes includes a fair bit more than that but I think its fair to say the TPL is pretty intuitive to use.

There are obviously changes in all areas but the biggest changes are the TPL, DLR and Workflow.

The free training kit for VS2010 and white papers are pretty good.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.