24 posts

有中国的朋友们吗?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Jizg
  • User profile image
    Donkslayer

Manip wrote:
    □ 槭 trembles N you is the mix □h□Z with England □Z?

o.0

• User profile image
    Manip

為什麼您是混合漢語和日語?

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Jizg wrote:

何。それは中国語ですか。僕はちょっと日本語が出来るが、中国語をぜんぜん分かりません。

それとも、どうして君が僕の猫の写真を使っていますか。

(translation: what? Is that Chinese? I know a little Japanese, but I don't understand Chinese at all.

Furthermore, why are you using a picture of my cat?)

• User profile image
    Donkslayer

Sven Groot wrote:
    Jizg wrote:有中国的朋友们吗?

何。これは中国語ですか。僕はちょっと日本語が出来るが、中国語をぜんぜん分かりません。

(Furthermore, why are you using a picture of my cat?)

Because your cat is so adorable! ^^

and now he's using Manips avatar...

its Chinese. I used google Translator and I got the phrase "Does China Friends?"

• User profile image
    pikatung

I'm Chinese. Though I was taught traditional, not simplified which he's writing in.

• User profile image
    footballism

Sven Groot wrote:
    Jizg wrote: 有中国的朋友们吗?

何。それは中国語ですか。僕はちょっと日本語が出来るが、中国語をぜんぜん分かりません。

(translation: what? Is that Chinese? I know a little Japanese, but I don't understand Chinese at all.

Furthermore, why are you using a picture of my cat?)

you have to understand the difference between Japanese and Chinese,Japanese is the derivative from chinese,the only difference is that after they create their own language derived from chinese,they add some pretty ugly characters to make Japanese a little bit different from Chinese.
    this page might be  UTF-8 encoded so it can display multilingual characters,hummm,fantastic really!!!!!!!

• User profile image
    leighsword

Manip wrote:
    為什麼您是混合漢語和日語?

The language of the Japanese, possibly related to the Altaic family, written in kana and Chinese characters.

all japanese 's knowledge is based on chinese and western.

• User profile image
    footballism

leighsword wrote:

all japanese 's knowledge is based on chinese and western.

I have to correct ur sentence:
    99% of Japanese knowledge is based on Chinese,and the left 1% from western.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

footballism wrote:
    you have to understand the difference between Japanese and Chinese,Japanese is the derivative from chinese,the only difference is that after they create their own language derived from chinese,they add some pretty ugly characters to make Japanese a little bit different from Chinese.
    this page might be  UTF-8 encoded so it can display multilingual characters,hummm,fantastic really!!!!!!!

I do understand the difference between Japanese and Chinese. The Japanese and Chinese spoken languages (I know there is no such thing as a single Chinese spoken language, but that's beside the point here) have absolutely no relation to each other (besides a lot of borrowed words in Japanese, but they are no more similar in structure than Japanese and Dutch). The Japanese however 'imported' their written language from China by way of Korea. Japanese however has certain grammatical constructs, such as particles and verb/adjective inflections for which the Chinese script has no way to write. The Japanese started by writing these by using kanji phonetically. But since they get so used so often, these characters got more and more simplified over the centuries, eventually leading to two accepted writing systems: katakana and hiragana. Originally, katakana was seen as a man's system, and hiragana as a woman's. However, at some point hiragana became the only officially sanctioned way of writing particles and inflections. Katakana is still used for foreign words, and sometimes to give a word emphasis (writing it in katakana makes it stand out from the rest of the sentence).

And you're both wrong. Japan got 99% of their knowledge from the Netherlands. Wink

• User profile image
    footballism

Sven Groot wrote:

I do understand the difference between Japanese and Chinese. The Japanese and Chinese spoken languages (I know there is no such thing as a single Chinese spoken language, but that's beside the point here) have absolutely no relation to each other (besides a lot of borrowed words in Japanese, but they are no more similar in structure than Japanese and Dutch). The Japanese however 'imported' their written language from China by way of Korea. Japanese however has certain grammatical constructs, such as particles and verb/adjective inflections for which the Chinese script has no way to write. The Japanese started by writing these by using kanji phonetically. But since they get so used so often, these characters got more and more simplified over the centuries, eventually leading to two accepted writing systems: katakana and hiragana. Originally, katakana was seen as a man's system, and hiragana as a woman's. However, at some point hiragana became the only officially sanctioned way of writing particles and inflections. Katakana is still used for foreign words, and sometimes to give a word emphasis (writing it in katakana makes it stand out from the rest of the sentence).

And you're both wrong. Japan got 99% of their knowledge from the Netherlands.

interesting point,ya gonna rewrite thousand years of history.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

footballism wrote:
    interesting point,ya gonna rewrite thousand years of history.

I was, quite obviously, joking. Although considering the Netherlands was the only country Japan had contact with during their isolation (probably because we just wanted to trade, not convert everybody to Christianity like a lot of other western countries), the influences are there. There are quite a lot of words in Japanese borrowed from Dutch, and a lot of Japanese medical and nautical knowledge comes from the Dutch.

In this day and age, I think no country stands without influences from abroad, some more than others. Look at the netherlands. What are we famous for? Tulips, which don't grow here indigenously, wooden shoes, which probably originated in Spain or France, and windmills, which are an Arabic invention. Oh, and soft drugs and prostitution, but I'm pretty sure we didn't invent either of those. Wink And we write using the Latin alphabet, which itself was derived from the Greek alphabet, and we use Arabic numerals.

• User profile image
    MarkPerris

um, actually Sven is correct. Check any reference legitimate reference source and you will find Chinese and Japanese share almost no common root. The writing system, as sven says, is imported from China.

they add some pretty ugly characters to make Japanese a little bit different from Chinese

i take it from this that you look down somewhat on the Japanese language? or i am misinterpreting this comment?

• User profile image
    footballism

Sven Groot wrote:

I was, quite obviously, joking. Although considering the Netherlands was the only country Japan had contact with during their isolation (probably because we just wanted to trade, not convert everybody to Christianity like a lot of other western countries), the influences are there. There are quite a lot of words in Japanese borrowed from Dutch, and a lot of Japanese medical and nautical knowledge comes from the Dutch.

In this day and age, I think no country stands without influences from abroad, some more than others. Look at the netherlands. What are we famous for? Tulips, which don't grow here indigenously, wooden shoes, which probably originated in Spain or France, and windmills, which are an Arabic invention. Oh, and soft drugs and prostitution, but I'm pretty sure we didn't invent either of those. And we write using the Latin alphabet, which itself was derived from the Greek alphabet, and we use Arabic numerals.

you are just talking about a very short period when Japan learned something from the Netherlands,but if you look back at what had happened before 1884,you can understand what kinda impact China had on Japan,their culture,their architecture,their food,their clothing and their language etc I cannot list them all here.
       yep, we live in a global village,and ppls used something which originallly was not invented by themselves,and after 1884,Japan was tremendously influenced by western civilization,that's why they prospered at that time,even today,we chinese are the way far behind Japan economically.

ps your avatar creator are excellent,nice work:)Smiley

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

footballism wrote:
    you are just talking about a very short period when Japan learned something from the Netherlands,but if you look back at what had happened before 1884,you can understand what kinda impact China had on Japan,their culture,their architecture,their food,their clothing and their language etc I cannot list them all here.

Actually, the Dutch had contact with Japan far longer than that, as early as the 16th century. When Japan closed their borders, the Dutch were the only people still allowed in. Well, kinda, they actually got their own island, called Deshima, in the bay of Tokyo (then still Edo), and weren't allowed on the Japanese mainland (does an island country have a mainland... hmmm...) without permission. We weren't exactly treated with kindness, but we were tolerated. A book called "De Nederlanders" released in 1676 details the rough treatment we got in Japan around that time.

Of course I realize that the influence from China and Korea is much greater. After all, in those days the Netherlands was nearly a year sailing from Japan, while China and Korea are virtually next door.

footballism wrote:
    ps your avatar creator are excellent,nice work

Thank you. Smiley

• User profile image
    footballism

MarkPerris wrote:
    um, actually Sven is correct. Check any reference legitimate reference source and you will find Chinese and Japanese share almost no common root. The writing system, as sven says, is imported from China.

they add some pretty ugly characters to make Japanese a little bit different from Chinese

i take it from this that you look down somewhat on the Japanese language? or i am misinterpreting this comment?

well,I have to admit that I do look down upon Japanese(including their ppls),a nation who cannot admit his earlier fault is not a respectable nation, in this respect,Japanese have to learn one thing or two from the Germans.
       now nationalism aside,as to Japanese language,I have taken the Japanese course when I was in college,what I learn about Japanese is that even I have never learned Japanese,I can still understand them,bcos as you know,their writing system was imported from Chinese,the only big difference between Chinese and Japanese is the pronunciation,you can accurately articulate every single Japanese characters,but with Chinese,you have to practice again and again,even a large percentage of Chinese cannot accurately speak their own language,that's why Chinese is the most difficult language in the world,but all in all,we do have an excellent language,and we are proud of it.

• User profile image
    footballism

Sven Groot,I recommend that you come to the library to find the hisoty book talking about the relations between China and Japan,and as to me,I also have to take on the history book to learn what had happened between the Netherlands and Japan.
     I think we are just talking about something which each other cannot fully understand,uh?

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

There are far more differences than pronounciation. The structure is very different, not even the word order is the same. Despite the fact that I do recognize some characters in the original Chinese sentence in the OP, I have no idea what it means.

I will not contest that Chinese is more difficult than Japanese. More difficult to pronounce certainly, and it also has many more characters than Japanese. Then again, the Japanese try to make it difficult by associating a dozen different pronounciations and meanings with a single character, and by having so many words that are pronounced the same.

A study a while ago showed that when speaking Chinese both halves of the brain are used, while only one half is needed for speaking English, proving that Chinese is more difficult.

I wish I could speak Chinese. A large percentage of people at the CompSci faculty of Leiden University is Chinese. Wink

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.