Coffeehouse Thread

31 posts

In Australia and Europe, nobody watches American TV shows..

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    androidi

.. from TV that is.

It really is surprising that it took so long to figure out that its not good idea to have rest of the world months, even years (here) behind the latest soap opera dose.

Now here there have been like two exceptions to this where programs have aired a week after the USA airing. Hopefully this is only 'calm before the storm'.

PS. Did I mention this. The broadcast companies also tend to show first 2-3 seasons out of 7 season series very often. Alternative to instant downloading? Buy Trek on VHS. Not that hard choice given that downloading them was not illegal for personal use! (This was years ago when there were no Trek on DVD yet)

• User profile image
    W3bbo

androidi wrote:
    .. from TV that is.

It really is surprising that it took so long to figure out that its not good idea to have rest of the world months, even years (here) behind the latest soap opera dose.

Now here there have been like 2 exceptions which have aired like a week after the USA airing. I guess that is only calm before the storm. Hopefully.

Of course...

The RIAA/MPAA have yet to realise that releasing songs (on the radio) and movies (in the theatres)  in the US up to 8 months before retail in the UK is a Very Bad Thing(tm)

I've yet to receive a single "real" justification from either organisation to explain massive staggering of releases.

I can understand differences of up to 2 weeks for delivery and marketting... but 8 months is unacceptable.

Earlier today I was listening to the radio, heard this nice song, and I'm like "sounds good.... might as well pop down to the shops and buy it"

Then the DJ says: "...due for the shops in June"

Then I'm like "* this... I want it now"

By releasing media like this, they create desire for a product that the only way they can get it is illegally.... (grammar --> window --> )

So in response to this, I sent an email to the MPAA/RIAA's CEO, explaining this, with a footer: "And if I do not receive a response, then I'll take it by your silence that it is perfectly okay for me to download all the latest movies illegally since I wouldn't be able to get them anyway"

...It's been 8 months now, and I'm not complaining Wink

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

That was the funny thing when the new Battlestar Galactica was released in the UK first, and everybody in the US starting downloading it. Wink

Movies should be released internationally. I know subbing takes time, so I'm willing to give them a few weeks grace period, but not months. CDs too, there's no reason whatsoever those can't be released everywhere at once.

And I especially want to get rid of region encoding. That's just pointless, and it doesn't work anyway, since I've never come across a player that wasn't cracked or crackable. And it's a good thing too, since I have a vast multi-region DVD collection, with lots of DVDs from R1 (US/CA) and R4 (AU), even though I'm in R2.

And while we're at it, can the whole world please switch to PAL?

• User profile image
    androidi

Sven Groot wrote:
    And I especially want to get rid of region encoding.

A while ago I remember reading that if consumer asked for region free device it would have to be provided. So the legislation kind of nullifies the region issue, but I doubt this is well known.

I would love that the USA enforced rule of cable boxes having USB (Or was it Firewire) if consumer asked was here too. I only know one cable digital TV device sold here that has this and its twice as expensive as the average devices.

• User profile image
    Jaz

yep, i download 24, i can perfectly legally watch it on Sky TV, but then i'd be about 5 weeks behind or whatever it is. which is silly.

the movie industry seems perfectly capable of releasing movies at the same time, but for stupid reasons they don't.  take HHGTTG for example, thats being released stateside first when it should either be the UK first or both at the same time.  indeed region encoding was the stupidest idea thought up

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Jaz wrote:
    take HHGTTG for example

Must... resist... temptation...to... download... H2G2... Must... wait... for... cinema...

Must... talk... in... weird... way!

• User profile image
    Jaz

i wonder how much MS gains from these sort of discussions, watching us discuss things such as region encoding and differences in opening times

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Jaz wrote:
    i wonder how much MS gains from these sort of discussions, watching us discuss things such as region encoding and differences in opening times

So they can scrap the idea of region-encoding Windows Media Center 2005? Wink

• User profile image
    Mike Dimmick

Sven Groot wrote:
    And I especially want to get rid of region encoding. That's just pointless, and it doesn't work anyway, since I've never come across a player that wasn't cracked or crackable. And it's a good thing too, since I have a vast multi-region DVD collection, with lots of DVDs from R1 (US/CA) and R4 (AU), even though I'm in R2.

My new DVD player came deregionalised, sealed in the original box. When the player is the same price both with and without region encoding, it's no surprise that Amazon sells way more multi-region players (sales rank 2) than region-locked players (sales rank 1,127).

(Nice player, BTW!)

MS: you need to unlock the Xbox 360's DVD playback, if it has it. The large electronics retailers - most of whom own the studios that want DRM - have abandoned it. Likewise for Longhorn.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Hey Mike, can I have your DotNet Messenger address?

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

The DVD Genie shortcut sits right below the PowerDVD shortcut on my desktop. Big Smile

It's been a long while since I've seen a regular DVD player (I mean of the non-PC type) that wasn't region-free OOB.

• User profile image
    Manip

When SG1 and SGA was airing ahead of the UK I was downloading it every Saturday, now the tables have turned and the UK is running ahead and the USA has to keep up.. Smiley

Thing is, how am I supposed to discuss SG1 and SGA on an international forum if people are watching months ahead of mine? I can't is the answer to that...

I don't see this as the crime of the century anyway because this stuff is on TV and all I'm doing to getting it earlier than for no good reason they want to keep it from me.

PS - Before you say I am stealing advert revenue from them you're wrong... I watch the episodes when they are on TV. Also if they want to publish the stuff online themselves and include ads in the middle that would be fine by me.  

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Manip wrote:
    Thing is, how am I supposed to discuss SG1 and SGA on an international forum if people are watching months ahead of mine? I can't is the answer to that...

That bothers me too. I've had to take months of absence from newsgroups and other communities just to prevent spoilers to the latest Star Trek movie. Wink

• User profile image
    Manip

Should the above have said star *wars* movie as there hasn't been a new ST movie for a while...?

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Manip wrote:
    Should the above have said star *wars* movie as there hasn't been a new ST movie for a while...?

No, I meant Star Trek, so the last time that happened was when Nemesis was released. IIRC it was released in November 2002 in the US, and finally reached cinema's in the Netherlands on March 26th 2003.

• User profile image
    Manip

<Off Topic> That movie was good in action / space battles but is a bit light on plot and realism.

Did anyone else wonder how many people Picard killed when he rammed the enterprise into the enemies? </Off Topic>

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Manip wrote:

<Off Topic> That movie was good in action / space battles but is a bit light on plot and realism.

Did anyone else wonder how many people Picard killed when he rammed the enterprise into the enemies? </Off Topic>

The forward of the ship is mostly crew quarters and recreational areas (like ten forward), there'd probably not be a lot of people there during a battle situation. We've never heard a figure about the crew complement of the Ent-E (or I just wasn't paying attention). The Ent-D had a crew of around 1020, counting civileans. We've never seen any civilians on the E, but unless starfleet changed policy we can only assume they're there. But we do know the E is roughly the same size as the D (almost 700 meters long, 26 decks), so it at least be capable of carrying around the same number of people. (Yes yes, I should be ashamed for knowing all this)

What I'm wondering is how the hell Shinzon managed to pull the Scimitar loose without the Enterprise providing a counterforce.

All in all I thought Nemesis was a decent movie. Not the best Trek movie ever made, but certainly not as bad as some people make it out to be.

Oh, and back to the topic at hand, I do also download Enterprise after its been broadcast in the US.

• User profile image
    Manip

Sven Groot wrote:
    What I'm wondering is how the hell Shinzon managed to pull the Scimitar loose without the Enterprise providing a counterforce.

Yeah, that bugs me every time... But then again ships in ST *do* appear to have a 'weight' for some odd reason.. I mean in many situations.

Sven Groot wrote:
    All in all I thought Nemesis was a decent movie. Not the best Trek movie ever made, but certainly not as bad as some people make it out to be.

Star Trek II, III, IV, VI are the best IMO. Star Trek I and V both suck as do most of the new ones (and I'm not even a fan of the original series! - I haven't watched it) 

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.