Coffeehouse Thread

11 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Windows 7 Start-menu + Jump-list visual overlay bug

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Heavens​Revenge

This bug has been present since at least the beta builds of Windows 7 and I'm wondering if it will ever get fixed, or if this is considered a bug by others:

To reproduce:

1. Right click on any icon in the task-bar to bring up a jump-list context menu
    2. Right click on the Start-Orb or as close to the bottom-left corner of the screen as possible
    3. Observe that the Orb is still on-top, visually overlapping the regular context menu as if the Start button was never there

I have seen it on every Windows 7 Build I have used since beta2, Im not sure if this is an Aero Window Manager bug or not.

What do people think??

Easiest non-destructive bug I've found to date, and I wanted to tell other people because I'm starting to think this will never get fixed.

Added a merged screenshot of the jump-list click, and a later start-orb click:

Start-orb overlay

• User profile image
    stevo_

Didnt repro for me on rc?

• User profile image
    bitdisaster

stevo_ said:

Didnt repro for me on rc?

Yep, reproducible

• User profile image
    Refrax

i was able to repro on 6.1.7600

• User profile image
    stevo_

section31 said:
    stevo_ said:
    *snip*

Yep, reproducible

Not for me, as soon as I right click anywhere on the start icon the jump list drops down and the overlay works as expected.

• User profile image
    RichA

It's not a bug, it's a feature!

• User profile image
    Heavens​Revenge

stevo_ said:
    section31 said:
    *snip*

Not for me, as soon as I right click anywhere on the start icon the jump list drops down and the overlay works as expected.

Would you happen to have a single CPU box your running on??  Im thinking the  right-click on the start button is preempted before the jump-list is torn down to create the proper context menu, making a reversed event only in a preempted system. with more than 1 proc.

If you dont have 1 core, the shell GUI team definitely needs to run a trace to see what is going on. 

• User profile image
    PaoloM

HeavensRevenge said:
    stevo_ said:
    *snip*

Would you happen to have a single CPU box your running on??  Im thinking the  right-click on the start button is preempted before the jump-list is torn down to create the proper context menu, making a reversed event only in a preempted system. with more than 1 proc.

If you dont have 1 core, the shell GUI team definitely needs to run a trace to see what is going on. 

Repros here. Bug. P3. Won't Fix.

Smiley

• User profile image
    spivonious

repros here. 7 x64, C2D cpu.

• User profile image
    stevo_

HeavensRevenge said:
    stevo_ said:
    *snip*

No its a core 2 duo, I run dual screen with the start menu on the right (so the start orb is almost in the middle of both screens).

• User profile image
    Cream​Filling512

Add it to huge pile of popup menu tracking bugs.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.