Coffeehouse Thread

11 posts

Windows 7 Start-menu + Jump-list visual overlay bug

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Heavens​Revenge

This bug has been present since at least the beta builds of Windows 7 and I'm wondering if it will ever get fixed, or if this is considered a bug by others:

To reproduce:

1. Right click on any icon in the task-bar to bring up a jump-list context menu
    2. Right click on the Start-Orb or as close to the bottom-left corner of the screen as possible
    3. Observe that the Orb is still on-top, visually overlapping the regular context menu as if the Start button was never there

I have seen it on every Windows 7 Build I have used since beta2, Im not sure if this is an Aero Window Manager bug or not.

What do people think??

Easiest non-destructive bug I've found to date, and I wanted to tell other people because I'm starting to think this will never get fixed.

Added a merged screenshot of the jump-list click, and a later start-orb click:

Start-orb overlay

• User profile image
    stevo_

Didnt repro for me on rc?

• User profile image
    bitdisaster

stevo_ said:

Didnt repro for me on rc?

Yep, reproducible

• User profile image
    Refrax

i was able to repro on 6.1.7600

• User profile image
    stevo_

section31 said:
    stevo_ said:
    *snip*

Yep, reproducible

Not for me, as soon as I right click anywhere on the start icon the jump list drops down and the overlay works as expected.

• User profile image
    RichA

It's not a bug, it's a feature!

• User profile image
    Heavens​Revenge

stevo_ said:
    section31 said:
    *snip*

Not for me, as soon as I right click anywhere on the start icon the jump list drops down and the overlay works as expected.

Would you happen to have a single CPU box your running on??  Im thinking the  right-click on the start button is preempted before the jump-list is torn down to create the proper context menu, making a reversed event only in a preempted system. with more than 1 proc.

If you dont have 1 core, the shell GUI team definitely needs to run a trace to see what is going on. 

• User profile image
    PaoloM

HeavensRevenge said:
    stevo_ said:
    *snip*

Would you happen to have a single CPU box your running on??  Im thinking the  right-click on the start button is preempted before the jump-list is torn down to create the proper context menu, making a reversed event only in a preempted system. with more than 1 proc.

If you dont have 1 core, the shell GUI team definitely needs to run a trace to see what is going on. 

Repros here. Bug. P3. Won't Fix.

Smiley

• User profile image
    spivonious

repros here. 7 x64, C2D cpu.

• User profile image
    stevo_

HeavensRevenge said:
    stevo_ said:
    *snip*

No its a core 2 duo, I run dual screen with the start menu on the right (so the start orb is almost in the middle of both screens).

• User profile image
    Cream​Filling512

Add it to huge pile of popup menu tracking bugs.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.