Coffeehouse Thread

13 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Why is this site always so slow to load?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    thebigdintx

    anyone know why this site is so sloooowww to load all the time?  i don't experience this slow load time on any of the other forums i go to. and it definitely is not my pc or internet connection...they're fast.

  • User profile image
    Charles

    Always slow? Blazing for me  right now...

    C

  • User profile image
    thebigdintx

    Charles said:

    Always slow? Blazing for me  right now...

    C

    Ok,,,maybe I shouldn't have used "always"....maybe "often", or moreso than most other forums I go to.  And, it seems like a lot of times it's just the first time on any given day when I visit it.  After being slow the first time, it usually is fast after that. 

  • User profile image
    Ray7

    Charles said:

    Always slow? Blazing for me  right now...

    C

    Are you working from the server?

  • User profile image
    Charles

    Ray7 said:
    Charles said:
    *snip*

    Are you working from the server?

    Of course not....


    At any rate, we do employ a lot of caching and, unfortunately, sometimes you get the joyful experience of large data reads from the db(IO) as opposed to directly from memory (RAM). This would explain the occasional experience of long page load times.

     

    C

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    Charles said:

    Always slow? Blazing for me  right now...

    C

    That's because you're geographically close to the website's server. When a page has significant AJAX features it slows things down tremendously if there's enough lag, and I get consistently around 120ms:

     

    Pinging channel9.msdn.com [206.72.124.93] with 32 bytes of data:

    Reply from 206.72.124.93: bytes=32 time=118ms TTL=43
    Reply from 206.72.124.93: bytes=32 time=118ms TTL=43
    Reply from 206.72.124.93: bytes=32 time=125ms TTL=43
    Reply from 206.72.124.93: bytes=32 time=120ms TTL=43

    Ping statistics for 206.72.124.93:
        Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
        Minimum = 118ms, Maximum = 125ms, Average = 120ms

  • User profile image
    thebigdintx

    W3bbo said:
    Charles said:
    *snip*

    That's because you're geographically close to the website's server. When a page has significant AJAX features it slows things down tremendously if there's enough lag, and I get consistently around 120ms:

     

    Pinging channel9.msdn.com [206.72.124.93] with 32 bytes of data:

    Reply from 206.72.124.93: bytes=32 time=118ms TTL=43
    Reply from 206.72.124.93: bytes=32 time=118ms TTL=43
    Reply from 206.72.124.93: bytes=32 time=125ms TTL=43
    Reply from 206.72.124.93: bytes=32 time=120ms TTL=43

    Ping statistics for 206.72.124.93:
        Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
        Minimum = 118ms, Maximum = 125ms, Average = 120ms

    Well,,,I do run ccleaner often (every day or couple of days) and that cleans out a lot of the saved stuff so maybe that causes it to load slower the first visit after the cleaning too.

  • User profile image
    Sabot

    Hmmmm, I live in a rural part of the UK where I just about get a 1MB connection.

     

    Channel9 hardly ever takes very long to load at all but it's either fast or just never loads. Now I can't put the not loading down to C9 as there is 16 hopes between me and Microsoft ... and MS sites aren't the only ones that have this problem.

  • User profile image
    spivonious

    C9 is always slow at work, but is usually pretty fast from home. I think the forum is maybe a bit busier during working hours?

  • User profile image
    littleguru

    C9 is a lot faster in Redmond than in Italy. Although my connection speed is about the same. I never get the issues with pages being slow here... It's kind of interesting. Must have to do with where the servers sit or something similar.

  • User profile image
    littleguru

    W3bbo said:
    Charles said:
    *snip*

    That's because you're geographically close to the website's server. When a page has significant AJAX features it slows things down tremendously if there's enough lag, and I get consistently around 120ms:

     

    Pinging channel9.msdn.com [206.72.124.93] with 32 bytes of data:

    Reply from 206.72.124.93: bytes=32 time=118ms TTL=43
    Reply from 206.72.124.93: bytes=32 time=118ms TTL=43
    Reply from 206.72.124.93: bytes=32 time=125ms TTL=43
    Reply from 206.72.124.93: bytes=32 time=120ms TTL=43

    Ping statistics for 206.72.124.93:
        Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
        Minimum = 118ms, Maximum = 125ms, Average = 120ms

    I dunno... I also get 95 ms in average.. even though I am in Redmond.

  • User profile image
    magicalclick

    The home page or the forum? Because the forum is always complete garbage. But the home page is fast and reliable most of the time. Sadly the forum is the worst forum I have seen.

    Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    thebigdintx

    magicalclick said:

    The home page or the forum? Because the forum is always complete garbage. But the home page is fast and reliable most of the time. Sadly the forum is the worst forum I have seen.

    The forum.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.