Coffeehouse Thread

60 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

so guess who's one year old? ;)

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Charles

Way to go EVERYBODY. It's been a great year and you are a GREAT community of folks. This place is rocking. 

The upcoming year will be better than the last (that's how life should be; it just gets better as time marches forward).

In the short term, my friends, we are going to release some great vids tomorrow (more than usual).

Stay tuned.

Happy Birthday Niners!!

I always thank my parents on my birthday because they gave me life, they nutured me through my youth, they empowered me through my college years, and they always encouraged me to be a better human being.

In this vain of thankfulness, I would like to extend a heartfelt thanks to all of you for helping C9 grow and mature into a healthy, vibrant, and happy 1 year old!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

C

• User profile image
    jamie

Great year - great fun - great people

Happy C9 to all [^][h]

• User profile image
    Steve411

* Happy birthday! It's been a pleasure and an honour getting to know some of the greatest guys in MS! Thanks for all that you've shared with us and thank you for taking the time to pass your knowlege to the next generation!
     ROCK ON NINERS!
    God Bless,
      Steve *

• User profile image
    scobleizer

Thanks for the kind words!

I just uploaded about four hours of new video (better than average stuff too, if I do say so myself). Thanks so much for being a great community.

I've done more than 100 interviews over the past year and hope you enjoy all the video.

• User profile image
    Tyler Brown

Happy Birthday!!
    It's been a pleasure to be a part of this website. The community as fantastic, and the content if just amazing. Congradulations niners!!!!

• User profile image
    Tensor

Happy birthday c9!

Keep up the good work Smiley

• User profile image
    bsilby

Ditto,
    I visit C9 several times daily. Its a great source of information, and has produced many stimulating discussions.

Happy Bday

• User profile image
    Stitch 2.0

Great job everyone!!!!!

C9 Team: Keep up the wonderful work you do! Hopefully this will get you the respect you deserve within MS!!!! You guys started a whole new way of communicating with your customers, and guess what: IT WORKED!!!

Members: It's been a unbelievable time here on C9! I registered almost a year ago and started out as being pretty quiet. But then I realized, how many nice people are around here and started posting! It's been the best time for long!

So, therefor:
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY, little guy!
    ENJOY THE PARTY WITH ALL YOU CLOSEST FRIENDS!
    To another great, inspiring year here at C9!

• User profile image
    littleguru

It's a pleasure to be part of this community. Happy birthday!

• User profile image
    jsrfc58

scobleizer wrote:

I'll sing you happy birthday! Smiley

Seriously, all of our videos are encoded at three speeds: 300/100/43kbps so they should work over dialup.

And, why don't you get some podcasting software like DopplerRadio or iPodder and set it to download the videos overnight to your hard drive while you sleep? That'll work even on dialup.

Oh, they work over dial-up...sometimes it is just nicer to download them and watch them offline so I don't block the phone line for hours on end (I know, I know, get DSL or a cable modem or...).  But some of the downloads take a long time over dial-up.   

Anyway...

Happy birthday...!

• User profile image
    asqui

A couple of people have mentioned that they're on dial-up connections and find it inconvenient or expensive to download videos.

One possible solution would be to formulate an archive that fits on a CD or two (maybe even a DVD, if needed) with the entire year in Channel 9 videos (and possibly the associated commentary, or entire forum archives (?))

CD burning is pretty inexpensive these days and, for the people with broadband, downloading a few meaty ISOs won't be too taxing. If the archive is made easily available then each third-world dial-up patron could find a broadband buddy to burn him a CD to send via postal mail.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

I'd love to spearhead this campaign however I'm currently living away from home and don't have a PC at my apartment!

The key questions are:

1. Will the Channel 9 admin facilitate this by overcoming the primary hurdle  and making an archive easily available.
    2. How big is such an archive likely to be?

• User profile image
    Jaz

happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday.

it's been great to be a community member of this project and i look forward to seeing what makes MS tick in the new C9 year.

• User profile image
    KosherCoder

Happy Birthday to Channel 9.

Thanks to the frequent posters on here, and those who spend an incredible amount of personal time to make this community better for all of us.

Most importantly, a hearty Thank You to the Channel 9 Team. This site has been one of the best educational resources I have ever found.

Mazal Tov!

• User profile image
    footballism

Hopefully we can sing this old Happy Birthday song every year.
    Happy Birthday Channel9
    Long live Channel9 !!!!!!!!!!!!Smiley:)Smiley:)Smiley

• User profile image
    jsrfc58

asqui wrote:
    A couple of people have mentioned that they're on dial-up connections and find it inconvenient or expensive to download videos.

One possible solution would be to formulate an archive that fits on a CD or two (maybe even a DVD, if needed) with the entire year in Channel 9 videos (and possibly the associated commentary, or entire forum archives (?))

CD burning is pretty inexpensive these days and, for the people with broadband, downloading a few meaty ISOs won't be too taxing. If the archive is made easily available then each third-world dial-up patron could find a broadband buddy to burn him a CD to send via postal mail.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

I'd love to spearhead this campaign however I'm currently living away from home and don't have a PC at my apartment!

The key questions are:
    1. Will the Channel 9 admin facilitate this by overcoming the primary hurdle  and making an archive easily available.
    2. How big is such an archive likely to be?

What's wrong with my third world modem?   

So the campaign to get the videos on some type of disc continues...

Thread I
    Thread II
    Thread III
    Thread IV

Maybe someday...

P.S. I'm still having a tough time justifying the cost of "upgrading" to cable or DSL...I'm not into downloading music much anymore, either. But before I end up

this thread, what is planned for "Year 2" of Channel 9?

• User profile image
    scobleizer

I'll bet we get an interview with a top executive, for one.

As to CD/DVD idea. The question is how to produce it and pay for it. Not easy ones to solve.

• User profile image
    lars

CDs are so 1998. Just ZIP the videos and sneak them into the next Service Pack. (Yes I'm kidding!) Smiley

• User profile image
    Rossj

I'm still waiting for the Longhorn vids to waste all my bandwidth.  I so desperately want to like Longhorn but the sudden dearth of info, and Robert's 'wait until you see..' comments, are making me so impatient I am likely to stop caring, So come on Robert .. just sneak one out - and in return I'll only buy one copy of Tiger Smiley

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.