Coffeehouse Thread

21 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Windows 7 was *my* idea

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    W3bbo
  • User profile image
    BitFlipper

What's their problem? Sour grapes maybe? I can't see how anyone can say Win 7 is a hacked together mess.

Plus you need to create an account to see the replies. Pass...

• User profile image
    W3bbo

BitFlipper said:

What's their problem? Sour grapes maybe? I can't see how anyone can say Win 7 is a hacked together mess.

Plus you need to create an account to see the replies. Pass...

It's poking fun at the adverts we see on TV and on bus-stops.

I just don't understand them, they're stock photos of some smiling person saying "Windows 7 was my idea"; except it isn't... Windows 7's inception and features were contrived by focus groups and middle-management.

I've also decided to not upgrade to Windows 7 until they fix the myriad of UI bugs that make me wince.

• User profile image
    ktr

That's hilarious.

• User profile image
    RamblingGeek​UK

W3bbo said:
    BitFlipper said:
    *snip*

It's poking fun at the adverts we see on TV and on bus-stops.

I just don't understand them, they're stock photos of some smiling person saying "Windows 7 was my idea"; except it isn't... Windows 7's inception and features were contrived by focus groups and middle-management.

I've also decided to not upgrade to Windows 7 until they fix the myriad of UI bugs that make me wince.

What bugs?

• User profile image
    Bass

Man sues Microsoft for taking his idea without permission.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Kryptos said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

What bugs?

• Two status bars?
    • They removed the sort-by column shading
    • Explorer doesn't show the total size of a folder, even if you select files; you have to click again in the 'new' statusbar or open the properties window (which is buried under a menu which you cannot put on the toolbar)
    • There's 5px of useless whitespace in listview (on the left)
    • Tree view doesn't properly keep track of current main view location and automatically scrolls so the current folder is at the bottom
    • Classic Mode is even more visually offensive than in Vista/2008
    • And a whole slew of other UI bugs that aren't going to be fixed any time soon, if at all.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

W3bbo said:
    Kryptos said:
    *snip*
    • Two status bars?
    • Explorer doesn't show the total size of a folder, even if you select files; you have to click again in the 'new' statusbar or open the properties window (which is buried under a menu which you cannot put on the toolbar)
    • Tree view doesn't properly keep track of current main view location and automatically scrolls so the current folder is at the bottom
    • And a whole slew of other UI bugs that aren't going to be fixed any time soon, if at all.

None of these are bugs. You may not like how it works, but that's the deal.

• User profile image
    stevo_

PaoloM said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

Exactly, most of those are things YOU don't like w3bbo, and no offense but you live in the past, you've brought up about many products that you want a dull as dishwater gray ui.. uh guess what, the rest of the world doesn't, you should (and this might sound depressing, but its depressingly true) consider any ui opinions you have to be the opposite of the 'norm'.

• User profile image
    Charles

W3bbo said:
    Kryptos said:
    *snip*
    • Two status bars?

What you're really saying is: "These are *my* bugs"....

C

• User profile image
    magicalclick

The automatic weapon system would be nice. When it sees a Mac jerk, it will send untraceable microwave to heat up the target to get them unsusperiously cooked. Muhahahah.

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Ion Todirel

PaoloM said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

Actually they are, if you ask me. UI bugs. And I can't empathize more.

• User profile image
    BitFlipper

Ion Todirel said:
    PaoloM said:
    *snip*

But enough to not use Windows 7? Those are all minor, and the implication is that other OSes don't have any bugs, or at least nothing as  "serious" as these "showstoppers".

Is that what you are saying?

• User profile image
    PaoloM

Ion Todirel said:
    PaoloM said:
    *snip*

Bugs are, by definition, inconsistencies between specification and implementation.

All those listed - at a glance - are expect behaviors, hence, no bugs.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

PaoloM said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

IRT PaoloM #1: Okay, I should be more specific: they are UI quirks that are inconsistent with behaviour elsewhere on the system and add to end-user confusion. Personally I would classify this as a bug (but a bug at the design level, rather than a "mistake" in Explorer's behaviour; assuming these issues are, in fact, by-design, which I doubt.)

IRT Steveo_: These are bugs you get with Aero Glass enabled, actually. Don't get me started on non-Glass Aero, or even Classic Mode. And don't forget the Classic Mode is the default on Windows Server 2008 R2. I'll agree these issues would ordinarily be ignored by "most people", but then "most people" don't get irked by these things as easily as me.

IRT Charles: heh. I think you mean "These bugs were my idea"

IRT: Bitflipper: Alas yes, they are all minor bugs. Not showstoppers or even serious. I never made the implication other OSes don't have these bugs, but even if they did that's no excuse for tiny little design things that can be fixed in a service pack.

IRT PaoloM #2: Actually, I remember you telling me the "current folder jumps to bottom of folder side-view" bug in Windows 7 Explorer is, in fact, a known bug.

• User profile image
    BitFlipper

W3bbo said:
    PaoloM said:
    *snip*

IRT PaoloM #1: Okay, I should be more specific: they are UI quirks that are inconsistent with behaviour elsewhere on the system and add to end-user confusion. Personally I would classify this as a bug (but a bug at the design level, rather than a "mistake" in Explorer's behaviour; assuming these issues are, in fact, by-design, which I doubt.)

IRT Steveo_: These are bugs you get with Aero Glass enabled, actually. Don't get me started on non-Glass Aero, or even Classic Mode. And don't forget the Classic Mode is the default on Windows Server 2008 R2. I'll agree these issues would ordinarily be ignored by "most people", but then "most people" don't get irked by these things as easily as me.

IRT Charles: heh. I think you mean "These bugs were my idea"

IRT: Bitflipper: Alas yes, they are all minor bugs. Not showstoppers or even serious. I never made the implication other OSes don't have these bugs, but even if they did that's no excuse for tiny little design things that can be fixed in a service pack.

IRT PaoloM #2: Actually, I remember you telling me the "current folder jumps to bottom of folder side-view" bug in Windows 7 Explorer is, in fact, a known bug.

But you clearly stated you will not be upgrading to Win 7 because of these bugs. My point was just that it seems a bit excessive to do that just for these bugs. I am sure whatever you are running right now also has its amount of UI "buglets", so I think your reason for not upgrading is just a little bit odd...

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

PaoloM said:
    Ion Todirel said:
    *snip*

Bugs are, by definition, inconsistencies between specification and implementation.

All those listed - at a glance - are expect behaviors, hence, no bugs.

There are spec bugs as well Wink

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

BitFlipper said:
    Ion Todirel said:
    *snip*

But enough to not use Windows 7? Those are all minor, and the implication is that other OSes don't have any bugs, or at least nothing as  "serious" as these "showstoppers".

Is that what you are saying?

Of course not. I have Windows 7 on all my machine, home, and I'm pretty happy. I'm a perfectionist kind of guy, so there is nothing I won't complain about.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.