Coffeehouse Thread

29 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Three different browser over three weeks ... the winner is ...

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Dr Herbie

    Short version : I now use Chrome as my default browser.

     

    The Long Version:

    After discussions on this thread, I decided to try alternative browsers from my standard IE8 for one week each.  I used each browser without plug-ins as I don't use any normally with IE8.

     

    The Default : IE8.  I use this because in most cases I prefer to use the default configuration of anything on the computer -- this makes it less of a struggle to work on a different PC as I'm already familiar with what's there.  Moving away from the default for me has a level of inertia; there must be a certain level of increased benefit for me to move.

     

    Week 1: Firefox.  

    Impression : Not much different from IE8.  Screen drawing seemed somewhat faster, but sites I visit tend to be text based anyway so there's not that much in it.

     

    Week 2 : Chrome.

    Impression : Speed is comparable to Firefox, but I really like the cleaner UI.  For a while I was concerned that I could not find a 'privacy mode' which is use for on-line banking, but then I Googled it and found that Ctrl-Shift-N starts 'incocnito' mode. So it has everything I need and a nicer UI. My original concerns about the EULA (Google own all data that you see) have gone as they revised it.

     

    Week 3 : Opera

    Impression : actually only lasted 10 minutes.  I visited the Coffeehouse first and saw a large gap of empty space between the page header and the first thread title.  As the Coffeehouse is my home-page, and this looks to me like a straightforward rendering layout, I decided that Opera fell at the first hurdle and un-installed it. Sorry Opera.  I'll try again after they release the next major update.

     

    I got bored before trying Maxathon.

     

    With every browser an individuals mileage may vary -- but for me Chrome was the best.

     

    Herbie

  • User profile image
    Maddus Mattus

    I always use IE 8, because I am lazy.

     

    Every other browser does not log me in automatically to applications running in our domain (Integrated Security). So as a result, I spend the whole day typing passwords,. I do not want that. Neither do I want some browser to remember my password.

     

    And in the end, it's just a browser.

     

    I really couldnt care less. And I really dont understand why all the nerd rage about it?

     

    It's kinda like sex, don't talk about it, just do it!

  • User profile image
    Dr Herbie

    Maddus Mattus said:

    I always use IE 8, because I am lazy.

     

    Every other browser does not log me in automatically to applications running in our domain (Integrated Security). So as a result, I spend the whole day typing passwords,. I do not want that. Neither do I want some browser to remember my password.

     

    And in the end, it's just a browser.

     

    I really couldnt care less. And I really dont understand why all the nerd rage about it?

     

    It's kinda like sex, don't talk about it, just do it!

    Yes, it is just a browser and not worthy of argument, but it is a matter of personal taste and 'comfort'.

     

    It's like clothes -- they're just material to keep the weather off you, but we all make preference choices (even Einstein had to choose the style of suit that he had multiples of) based on comfort and aesthetics. Some people even get quite worked up about it.

     

    Maybe we could do a make-over TV show but with software instead of clothes?

     

    Herbie

     

  • User profile image
    Maddus Mattus

    Dr Herbie said:
    Maddus Mattus said:
    *snip*

    Yes, it is just a browser and not worthy of argument, but it is a matter of personal taste and 'comfort'.

     

    It's like clothes -- they're just material to keep the weather off you, but we all make preference choices (even Einstein had to choose the style of suit that he had multiples of) based on comfort and aesthetics. Some people even get quite worked up about it.

     

    Maybe we could do a make-over TV show but with software instead of clothes?

     

    Herbie

     

    Personal taste is fine. I've nothing against free choice and all. But I am baffled about the amount of debate that is going on about browsers. Even in the EU we have the browser selection screen in Windows. 80% of the Windows users have no clue what a browser is! They have to make a selection and have no idea what the conequences are! And the nerds are actually flaming Microsoft about the randomisation routine! It's so completely off base.

     

    When I vote, the parties and candidates are always in the same order. So actually, the browser selection screen is more democratic then the Dutch election process!

     

    To come back to the clothes analogy, I am actually the same with browsers as with clothes; I just wear what's on top of the pile Smiley I cant be bothered with my looks (except my hair, dont freaking touch my hair, I kill you till you die from it!) (the only time I shave is when the wife complains, etc etc), like I cant be bothered with my browser. I wear clothes to keep me warm, I use a browser to look up stuff on the web.

  • User profile image
    Ian2

    Dr Herbie said:
    Maddus Mattus said:
    *snip*

    Yes, it is just a browser and not worthy of argument, but it is a matter of personal taste and 'comfort'.

     

    It's like clothes -- they're just material to keep the weather off you, but we all make preference choices (even Einstein had to choose the style of suit that he had multiples of) based on comfort and aesthetics. Some people even get quite worked up about it.

     

    Maybe we could do a make-over TV show but with software instead of clothes?

     

    Herbie

     

    Interesting I have a mental picture for users of the following:

     

    Safari - Fasion Concious, Slightly pretentious and loud, likes to be seen at parties, maybe owns a sports car.

    Firefox - Young and thrusting types who like to rebel a little (not too much though)

    Chrome - Wouldn't be seen dead running Safari.

    Opera - Well, its not your Dads browser, but ..?

    IE - Sad old geeks who are more concerned with other things( as long as it gets the job done).

     

     

    Grok One.

  • User profile image
    magicalclick

    Ian2 said:
    Dr Herbie said:
    *snip*

    Interesting I have a mental picture for users of the following:

     

    Safari - Fasion Concious, Slightly pretentious and loud, likes to be seen at parties, maybe owns a sports car.

    Firefox - Young and thrusting types who like to rebel a little (not too much though)

    Chrome - Wouldn't be seen dead running Safari.

    Opera - Well, its not your Dads browser, but ..?

    IE - Sad old geeks who are more concerned with other things( as long as it gets the job done).

     

     

    Grok One.

    I think FF is young and like to cheat hehe. I mean, the cheater on Facebook games, who grabed all the goodies right away are the greasemonkey cheaters. Mad Ok, I used a few times, but, normally I don't cheat. Angel

     

    Chrome, not too much experience, but I know it doesn't freeze tab, unlike FF and IE.

     

    IE, very user "unfriendly". Haven't tried to compare with Chorme, but, it accept gifts on Facebook faster than FF with multiple open in new tabs followed by accept button clicks. And Flash is slower on IE8 than IE7, IE6, and FF.

    Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Maddus Mattus

    Ian2 said:
    Dr Herbie said:
    *snip*

    Interesting I have a mental picture for users of the following:

     

    Safari - Fasion Concious, Slightly pretentious and loud, likes to be seen at parties, maybe owns a sports car.

    Firefox - Young and thrusting types who like to rebel a little (not too much though)

    Chrome - Wouldn't be seen dead running Safari.

    Opera - Well, its not your Dads browser, but ..?

    IE - Sad old geeks who are more concerned with other things( as long as it gets the job done).

     

     

    Grok One.

    There go the IT people again. Stop trying to classify people! You will end up with 4 billion classes!

     

    And eh;

     

    I am very pretentious (dont know what it means, but I want!), I am loud (very, even worse when on beer), I am the center of attention at parties (not in a good way), I drive a sportscar (sideskirts, alloys, phat tires, ulta low and hard suspension, turbo diesel!) and use IE 8!

     

    So your clasification fails the first unit test!

     

    What's up with people trying to identify themselves by the products they buy? Why not rely on your own strength instead of these symbols?

  • User profile image
    Ian2

    Maddus Mattus said:
    Ian2 said:
    *snip*

    There go the IT people again. Stop trying to classify people! You will end up with 4 billion classes!

     

    And eh;

     

    I am very pretentious (dont know what it means, but I want!), I am loud (very, even worse when on beer), I am the center of attention at parties (not in a good way), I drive a sportscar (sideskirts, alloys, phat tires, ulta low and hard suspension, turbo diesel!) and use IE 8!

     

    So your clasification fails the first unit test!

     

    What's up with people trying to identify themselves by the products they buy? Why not rely on your own strength instead of these symbols?

    Don't be ashamed of being a Safari Wannabe.  Smiley

  • User profile image
    Maddus Mattus

    Ian2 said:
    Maddus Mattus said:
    *snip*

    Don't be ashamed of being a Safari Wannabe.  Smiley

    I want nothing to do with Apple and their board of directors member Al Gore.

     

    They are both hippocrites and lyars.

     

    Match made in heaven.

     

    Long, long, long ago we bought a Macintosh Classic. I absolutely loved it. I could do stuff on that thing that other people only dreamed of in Word Perfect. But they lost me when they started on this hip/smug trend. Telling people what to do and deciding what is best for them. Performing personal attacks against competitors, while claiming to be also hip and green while infact they use child labor and even Greenpeace say they should clean up their act.

     

    The things I do have to give Apple credit for, is their drive to get stuff done. Not technically, but business wise. Getting large movie studios and record labels to see the advantage of an online store. Getting people exited about small applications and providing a good platform. That's something Microsoft can learn a lot from.

  • User profile image
    Ian2

    Maddus Mattus said:
    Ian2 said:
    *snip*

    I want nothing to do with Apple and their board of directors member Al Gore.

     

    They are both hippocrites and lyars.

     

    Match made in heaven.

     

    Long, long, long ago we bought a Macintosh Classic. I absolutely loved it. I could do stuff on that thing that other people only dreamed of in Word Perfect. But they lost me when they started on this hip/smug trend. Telling people what to do and deciding what is best for them. Performing personal attacks against competitors, while claiming to be also hip and green while infact they use child labor and even Greenpeace say they should clean up their act.

     

    The things I do have to give Apple credit for, is their drive to get stuff done. Not technically, but business wise. Getting large movie studios and record labels to see the advantage of an online store. Getting people exited about small applications and providing a good platform. That's something Microsoft can learn a lot from.

    I've gone through a few phases with Apple - I bought an iPhone when it first came out and that was/is a superb product (only just recently replaced my original 2G iPhone with an HTC HD2).  Dislike the whole cool thing but being old I'm out of that loop anyway.  Then went on an Apple downer - got pissed off when my MacBook battery died, spoke to Apple, who admitted it was a faulty batch and a known issue, but refused to replace it (cost me GBP70 to replace if I recollect correctly). 

     

    Like the look of the iPad but don't want to learn that SDK so probably won't bother with it.

     

    Damn, what was this topic about again? 

  • User profile image
    Massif

    Ian2 said:
    Maddus Mattus said:
    *snip*

    I've gone through a few phases with Apple - I bought an iPhone when it first came out and that was/is a superb product (only just recently replaced my original 2G iPhone with an HTC HD2).  Dislike the whole cool thing but being old I'm out of that loop anyway.  Then went on an Apple downer - got pissed off when my MacBook battery died, spoke to Apple, who admitted it was a faulty batch and a known issue, but refused to replace it (cost me GBP70 to replace if I recollect correctly). 

     

    Like the look of the iPad but don't want to learn that SDK so probably won't bother with it.

     

    Damn, what was this topic about again? 

    I can't reproduce your Opera results (I user opera all the time at work, don't care too much at home, but used it enough that my wife now complains about having to use other browsers!). Plus your results for opera are probably worth re-visiting as it's all new and shiny as of today.

     

    Although I did used to have occasional problems posting on C9 from opera, I wonder if 10.50 has fixed that?

  • User profile image
    Heavens​Revenge

    So Opera 10.50 just got released, and I'm posting with opera now.

    Too bad, sure Chrome is quick, i had a temporary affair with chrome, but Opera is where my heart is Wink

  • User profile image
    Maddus Mattus

    Ian2 said:
    Maddus Mattus said:
    *snip*

    I've gone through a few phases with Apple - I bought an iPhone when it first came out and that was/is a superb product (only just recently replaced my original 2G iPhone with an HTC HD2).  Dislike the whole cool thing but being old I'm out of that loop anyway.  Then went on an Apple downer - got pissed off when my MacBook battery died, spoke to Apple, who admitted it was a faulty batch and a known issue, but refused to replace it (cost me GBP70 to replace if I recollect correctly). 

     

    Like the look of the iPad but don't want to learn that SDK so probably won't bother with it.

     

    Damn, what was this topic about again? 

    Browsers!

     

    How we all love IE 8 and when we are having a Chrome, Firefox and Safari deinstallation party!

     

    I'll bring the beer and the Internet Explorer 8 CD's!

  • User profile image
    ScottWelker

    Thanks Dr Herbie, nice to see a fresh, unbiased opinion. This is helpful.

     

    My only thought - as an IE8/FF user - is that FF w/o the UX and Productivity enhancing add-on is like a car without the wheels - not much of a driving experience but, I get your point. Thanks again!

  • User profile image
    kettch

    Maddus Mattus said:
    Ian2 said:
    *snip*

    Browsers!

     

    How we all love IE 8 and when we are having a Chrome, Firefox and Safari deinstallation party!

     

    I'll bring the beer and the Internet Explorer 8 CD's!

    Be careful about uninstalling chrome. A friend of mine was having trouble with her internet connection, and when she called the ISP, they told her to install Chrome. Well, she didn't like chrome. So she uninstalled it. After she uninstalled it, IE was broken. So, I used FTP to download Firefox, Firefox to update to IE8, and now everybody is happy again.

  • User profile image
    exoteric

    I pretty much agree with you. As for Opera, I'm actually very impressed with it and am a bit surprised that the company hasn't been bought by another major company like Google, Yahoo, Apple or even Microsoft, heh.

  • User profile image
    Cream​Filling512

    Does Opera still have funky UI and modal dialogs everywhere?  Haven't tried it in years.

  • User profile image
    stun

    CreamFilling512 said:

    Does Opera still have funky UI and modal dialogs everywhere?  Haven't tried it in years.

    Yes sadly they do Sad

     

    Week 3 : Opera Impression : actually only lasted 10 minutes. I visited the Coffeehouse first and saw a large gap of empty space between the page header and the first thread title. As the Coffeehouse is my home-page, and this looks to me like a straightforward rendering layout, I decided that Opera fell at the first hurdle and un-installed it. Sorry Opera. I'll try again after they release the next major update.

    But I am posting this reply from Opera 10.5, and Channel 9 looks great and haven't noticed any problem yet.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.