Coffeehouse Thread

11 posts

Opera 10.5

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • stun

    Anyone tried it out yet? I am loving it.

    Try scrolling down a page using the UP and DOWN arrow keys. Its smooth scrolling is quite nice!

     

    Apart from having to configure the Keyboard Shortcuts to my preference, it is really nice to be using it.

    Try it out and tell me what you think.

  • GoddersUK

    Just updated now... I think they may have finally added some of the things I required before I would consider switching from Firefox. And flipping Nora, that scrolling is awesome.

     

    Of course I will need to spend some time in it before I can properly form an opinion.

  • stun

    GoddersUK said:

    Just updated now... I think they may have finally added some of the things I required before I would consider switching from Firefox. And flipping Nora, that scrolling is awesome.

     

    Of course I will need to spend some time in it before I can properly form an opinion.

    If they can do the following

    (1) get rid of those annoying UI clutter for options

    (2) make the default keyboard shortcuts to be like FireFox and Chrome (yes FF and Chrome's Keyboard Shortcuts have become a "standard" in my opinion)

    (3) Some really useful AddOns like AdBlock and FireBug for Opera

     

    Then, I would be a converter. I feel like this Opera 10.5 is the very first version of Opera that I actually enjoy using for the first time ever!

    Previous versions sucked and was not the right browser for me.

  • elmer

    I note their new home page, where they proudly proclaim:

     

    The fastest browser on Earth

     

    Ignoring the suspect basis for their cliam, I wonder why not

     

    The fastest browser in the Universe

     

    ...or is that a claim they are not prepared to risk ??

     

  • Heavens​Revenge

    stun said:
    GoddersUK said:
    *snip*

    If they can do the following

    (1) get rid of those annoying UI clutter for options

    (2) make the default keyboard shortcuts to be like FireFox and Chrome (yes FF and Chrome's Keyboard Shortcuts have become a "standard" in my opinion)

    (3) Some really useful AddOns like AdBlock and FireBug for Opera

     

    Then, I would be a converter. I feel like this Opera 10.5 is the very first version of Opera that I actually enjoy using for the first time ever!

    Previous versions sucked and was not the right browser for me.

    Options... great Scott its absolutely AMAZING how much functionality Opera truly has, I use it only as a browser, BUT if you actually look into it, it's also an E-mail client, and RSS feed aggregator, and a full features IRC client, AND a web-server called Unite., all in under 10 MB.

    So Opera sort of NEEDS that many options, to control all of its tightly integrated features.  Who doesn't like visual tabs, AND a cool looking zoom slider on the bottom right of the Opera UI

     

    For the AddOns like AdBlock and FireBug you request, the AdBlock feature you are used to is not auto-updated by a 3rd party list, instead you right click on a page and select "Block Content" which will bring you into an ad-blocking click session, to block any element on the page to create your own custom blocking rules(which I love and use extensively).

     

    The FireBug which you want is called "Dragonfly"(needs the normal Menu Bar enabled or some keyboard shortcut I can't remember to launch), its a thing very similar to firebug, which even allows remote debugging of a web page.

    Also, the one advantage Opera has over Chrome is the "Flip" feature for tabs on your start bar, Chrome & Opera both have Jump-lists implemented but Chrome doesn't show your tabs like Opera can, but Opera, IE8 and Firefox x64 allow it.

     

  • Raghavendra_​Mudugal

    GoddersUK said:

    Just updated now... I think they may have finally added some of the things I required before I would consider switching from Firefox. And flipping Nora, that scrolling is awesome.

     

    Of course I will need to spend some time in it before I can properly form an opinion.

    for me it is showing 10.10...? (and it is latest, no updates available)

     

    l like the tabs.. pull down and see the thumbs right there.... nice.

  • mikexkearney

    Raghavendra_Mudugal said:
    GoddersUK said:
    *snip*

    for me it is showing 10.10...? (and it is latest, no updates available)

     

    l like the tabs.. pull down and see the thumbs right there.... nice.

    ++

  • Jug

    It seems I'll have to wait for Opera 11 for extension support. I hope it's finally added in that version. Perplexed

     

    Yes, Opera is a kind of "one size fits all" deal, and feature packed, but if you use for example a certain social application a lot, it sure helps to have integrated support for it, and you can't expect Opera to be able to meet all demands. We're different users with different needs, and browsers should be streamlined for those needs, so that a user will have neither too much nor too little in a browser. This is a critical point I think Opera has been missing for a long time now.

  • Bass

    It is really smooth. I'm actually kind of impressed. Smiley

  • stun

    Bass said:

    It is really smooth. I'm actually kind of impressed. Smiley

    Yeah it is. I didn't expect that from Opera.

     

    However, as I use it more and more, these are really annoying for me.

    (1) Ctrl + 1-9 for tab switching <=== by default it is mapped to Speed Dial

    (2) Ctrl + PageUp/PageDown for going to next/previous tab <== which I had to configure myself

     

    (3) Can't access my bookmarks easily like Google Chrome. I have to focus into the Address Bar to show the Bookmarks and click again.

    (4) Bookmarks NOT sortable (is it possible to sort Bookmarks?)

     

     

    Do you guys have any other things that you don't like?

  • Massif

    stun said:
    Bass said:
    *snip*

    Yeah it is. I didn't expect that from Opera.

     

    However, as I use it more and more, these are really annoying for me.

    (1) Ctrl + 1-9 for tab switching <=== by default it is mapped to Speed Dial

    (2) Ctrl + PageUp/PageDown for going to next/previous tab <== which I had to configure myself

     

    (3) Can't access my bookmarks easily like Google Chrome. I have to focus into the Address Bar to show the Bookmarks and click again.

    (4) Bookmarks NOT sortable (is it possible to sort Bookmarks?)

     

     

    Do you guys have any other things that you don't like?

    Awesome! I don't even need to open speed dial to use it!

    What was wrong with Ctrl + tab for tab switching btw? It's pretty standard windows behaviour, and ctrl+shift+tab for going back?

     

    Oh, and opening the bookmarks panel (with the tiny little panel button which is bottom left by default) shows them to be searchable and sortable however you like. Not sure if there's a shortcut to show bookmarks  though.

     

    Awesome, the pretty obvious-if-not-standard ctrl + B shows / hides the bookmarks panel.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.