Coffeehouse Thread

9 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Mediaroom 2.0

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    soum

    Has there been any Mediaroom 2.0 coverage on this site? Can't seem to find any. Nor anywhere on the net is anything but the marketing videos. Would definitely like some videos going not only into the features but also into the tech behind it.

     

    Do any of you guys have first-hand experience with the service? Am thinking of subscribing to one, want first-hand feedback before I reach for my wallet.

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    Do you have a choice? Mediaroom is the platform for STB manufacturers, so if you want a Mediaroom box you need access to a TV provider that has Mediaroom boxes available for it, and choice of STB seems a weird way to select a cable/sat TV provider.

  • User profile image
    kettch

    W3bbo said:

    Do you have a choice? Mediaroom is the platform for STB manufacturers, so if you want a Mediaroom box you need access to a TV provider that has Mediaroom boxes available for it, and choice of STB seems a weird way to select a cable/sat TV provider.

    I don't know. The different STB's that I've used from different satellite providers would be a strong influencer for me. I used somebody's DirectTV system last year, and it was terrible. Everything about it was slow and laggy. Obviously I'd want to sample some more models before making a final decision, but that was a pretty bad first impression.

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    kettch said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

    I don't know. The different STB's that I've used from different satellite providers would be a strong influencer for me. I used somebody's DirectTV system last year, and it was terrible. Everything about it was slow and laggy. Obviously I'd want to sample some more models before making a final decision, but that was a pretty bad first impression.

    DirecTV uses DVB-S, which is far more interopable than cable; you could import a DVB-S STB from Europe and it should work (I assume the CAM system is the same).

  • User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

    kettch said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

    I don't know. The different STB's that I've used from different satellite providers would be a strong influencer for me. I used somebody's DirectTV system last year, and it was terrible. Everything about it was slow and laggy. Obviously I'd want to sample some more models before making a final decision, but that was a pretty bad first impression.

    There are STB's that aren't slow and laggy?  Seems like all I've used are slow and laggy...  cable or satellite (Charter, Cox, DirectTV, even a couple different models of Sky+ boxes).

     

    Yet another reason why I don't subscribe to cable or satellite...  my OTA DTV receiver (I have an old SD TV) is nice and snappy (although nowhere near as full of useless features as some cable/satellite STBs).

     

    On the subject of MediaRoom:  IIRC, AT&T's Uverse service uses MediaRoom on their STBs...  don't have any experience with that service, though; it's not available in my area yet.

  • User profile image
    RamblingGeek​UK

    BT Vision uses Mediaroom, although I'm not sure what version.

     

     

    Update: Linky

     

    http://www.microsoft.com/mediaroom/Profiles/BT.aspx

  • User profile image
    kettch

    CannotResolveSymbol said:
    kettch said:
    *snip*

    There are STB's that aren't slow and laggy?  Seems like all I've used are slow and laggy...  cable or satellite (Charter, Cox, DirectTV, even a couple different models of Sky+ boxes).

     

    Yet another reason why I don't subscribe to cable or satellite...  my OTA DTV receiver (I have an old SD TV) is nice and snappy (although nowhere near as full of useless features as some cable/satellite STBs).

     

    On the subject of MediaRoom:  IIRC, AT&T's Uverse service uses MediaRoom on their STBs...  don't have any experience with that service, though; it's not available in my area yet.

    The Dish Network STB/DVR that I use regularly seems to be pretty good. It's DVR functionality is very snappy, which is important, IMO.

  • User profile image
    soum

    W3bbo said:

    Do you have a choice? Mediaroom is the platform for STB manufacturers, so if you want a Mediaroom box you need access to a TV provider that has Mediaroom boxes available for it, and choice of STB seems a weird way to select a cable/sat TV provider.

    The choice is by means of a service provider. If Mediaroom 2.0 is good enough, I will go for the service provider that provides Mediaroom 2.0-based IPTV services.

  • User profile image
    soum

    CannotResolveSymbol said:
    kettch said:
    *snip*

    There are STB's that aren't slow and laggy?  Seems like all I've used are slow and laggy...  cable or satellite (Charter, Cox, DirectTV, even a couple different models of Sky+ boxes).

     

    Yet another reason why I don't subscribe to cable or satellite...  my OTA DTV receiver (I have an old SD TV) is nice and snappy (although nowhere near as full of useless features as some cable/satellite STBs).

     

    On the subject of MediaRoom:  IIRC, AT&T's Uverse service uses MediaRoom on their STBs...  don't have any experience with that service, though; it's not available in my area yet.

    Have seen a demo of Mediaroom-based service, and from that can say that it is not too laggy (and compared to DVB boxes, its super-instant). But things looks much better in demonstrations than they really are. So, can't say for sure how it behaves on regular use.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.