Coffeehouse Thread

43 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

My First Windows Mobile 7 App

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Ian2

PeterF said:
    Ian2 said:
    *snip*

From a development point of view it's of course interesting, indeed from a user side of view it's challenging to make it intuitive. You might use two fingers to control the angle of the magnifying glass, or the dragging direction controls the angle. For example the glass is always in front of the dragging direction, this could work intuitive enough, and just average the last few coordinates so it's not too jumpy.

Greetings from a fellow Silverlight programmer,

Peter

Interesting and quite reasonable, but it would also move it away from the KISS principal, which for now I want to retain (considering I will probably have to rewrite once we know the details of the WinFon7  SDK!)

Thanks again for the great feedback.

• User profile image
    figuerres

Ian2 said:
    PeterF said:
    *snip*

Interesting and quite reasonable, but it would also move it away from the KISS principal, which for now I want to retain (considering I will probably have to rewrite once we know the details of the WinFon7  SDK!)

Thanks again for the great feedback.

the magnifiing glass ... ok you are thying to use the idea of holding the handle it seems...

IMHO lose the handle, it does not really add any value and takes up more room.

while i like a good visual methaphore that relates to the real world in this case i do not think it really works.

why:

1) i can not "see" that i am holding the handle.

2) it blocks movement on part of the screen.

3) you have the cross hair in the center of the lens that says visually that it's my focal point.

so just make the focal point the cross hair and accept that not all real objects need to have identical models in virtual space.

also this will work better on a small screen where you would have issues with the lower right corner.

possibly the cross hair and or the rim can visually cue the user that they are active / clickable / selectable.

• User profile image
    Dovella

Windows Phone sessions at Mix unveiled http://bit.ly/9ziFVJ

• User profile image
    Ian2

figuerres said:
    Ian2 said:
    *snip*

the magnifiing glass ... ok you are thying to use the idea of holding the handle it seems...

IMHO lose the handle, it does not really add any value and takes up more room.

while i like a good visual methaphore that relates to the real world in this case i do not think it really works.

why:

1) i can not "see" that i am holding the handle.

2) it blocks movement on part of the screen.

3) you have the cross hair in the center of the lens that says visually that it's my focal point.

so just make the focal point the cross hair and accept that not all real objects need to have identical models in virtual space.

also this will work better on a small screen where you would have issues with the lower right corner.

possibly the cross hair and or the rim can visually cue the user that they are active / clickable / selectable.

Hmmm, hearing quite a lot about the handle issue.  Considering that this is going to be a touch screen app I really dont want to be moving the magnifying glass around using the center of the glass (this is where I started and it is annoying not to be able to see what is under your finger).  I think I will opt for shrinking the image down (aligned to the top and left) and using the space on the bottom & right for something else?

Thanks for the great feedback.

PS Did you by any chance try this out on your TS2 using just fingers? -   I have a slight concern about the availability of more than 2 touch points  as my tablet only has 2 and my methodology for touch screen is probably suspect!

• User profile image
    figuerres

Ian2 said:
    figuerres said:
    *snip*

Hmmm, hearing quite a lot about the handle issue.  Considering that this is going to be a touch screen app I really dont want to be moving the magnifying glass around using the center of the glass (this is where I started and it is annoying not to be able to see what is under your finger).  I think I will opt for shrinking the image down (aligned to the top and left) and using the space on the bottom & right for something else?

Thanks for the great feedback.

PS Did you by any chance try this out on your TS2 using just fingers? -   I have a slight concern about the availability of more than 2 touch points  as my tablet only has 2 and my methodology for touch screen is probably suspect!

use the "rim" then .... make it the "grab area"

then it works from any angle and does not need the finger in the middle.

or the whole disk can be the touch / grab area so i can just drag and push anywhere from the rim inward.

No I will try it later .... had a lot going on this week.

• User profile image
    DCMonkey

figuerres said:
    Ian2 said:
    *snip*

or the whole disk can be the touch / grab area so i can just drag and push anywhere from the rim inward.

http://www.streetprices.com/Sports_and_Outdoors/Boating/Navigation_Items/WEEMS-PLATH-412M-SP12619755.html

Generic Forum Image

• User profile image
    figuerres
  • User profile image
    Ian2

figuerres said:
    Ian2 said:
    *snip*

OK, fiddled around a bit with the rim concept but code was getting a bit too complex (I am trying to KISS per the concept of an easy port to WP7) so I have put ot on hold until we see what is around the corner.

Thanks for the great feedback..

• User profile image
    figuerres

Ian2 said:
    figuerres said:
    *snip*

OK, fiddled around a bit with the rim concept but code was getting a bit too complex (I am trying to KISS per the concept of an easy port to WP7) so I have put ot on hold until we see what is around the corner.

Thanks for the great feedback..

lagg in movement.

on my tx2 the object is always moving to slow.

also it jumps.... due to the way you are trying to use the handle it seems to move in an odd way to me.

also you need to have it work with the display better. when i go to rotate the display it does not fit. it's not scaling or resizing to adjust.

• User profile image
    magicalclick

I think it would be more fun if it is augmented reality. Use camera to capture the photo and automatically make the difference by replacing the color. Would be even cooler to use zoom and move your camera as magnifying glass.

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Ian2

figuerres said:
    Ian2 said:
    *snip*

lagg in movement.

on my tx2 the object is always moving to slow.

also it jumps.... due to the way you are trying to use the handle it seems to move in an odd way to me.

also you need to have it work with the display better. when i go to rotate the display it does not fit. it's not scaling or resizing to adjust.

Thats great feedback!  Makes me sound dumb but I forgot about screen rotation on the phone!  I'll ponder on that today.  Strange about the lag/jumpiness though, the TX2 is beefier than my Acer tablet so I wouldn't have expected that. Something else to ponder.  If I get the chance this week I wil add a querystring parameter to enable you to (partially?) turn off the Magnifying Glass and see if that makes a  difference

• User profile image
    Ian2

magicalclick said:

I think it would be more fun if it is augmented reality. Use camera to capture the photo and automatically make the difference by replacing the color. Would be even cooler to use zoom and move your camera as magnifying glass.

Nice idea, it would be interesting trying to come up with an effective algorythm for automatically making the difference changes to an image captured by the phone.  I like the concept though.

I did try a version where the Magnifying Glass magnified stuff under the cursor - it isn't difficult to do and I was in two minds as to whether to keep it or not. (I might add it as an option via a  querystring parameter if I get the chance this week?)

Thaks again for taking the time to feedback.

• User profile image
    LukePuplett

figuerres said:
    DCMonkey said:
    *snip*

LOL.... Smiley

I guess I'm the only person thinking of keeping the looking glass central and moving the image around (with enough border to allow the corners to be pulled under).

Or lose the glass and maybe use tilting to flip between two images.

• User profile image
    Ian2

LukePuplett said:
    figuerres said:
    *snip*

I guess I'm the only person thinking of keeping the looking glass central and moving the image around (with enough border to allow the corners to be pulled under).

Or lose the glass and maybe use tilting to flip between two images.

Interesting if a little too radical for the scope of this project (I want to keep it simple for the port to WP7).

I'll put up another version in an hour or so - I've yeilded (partially depending on your point of view) to the 'sticky magnifying glass' issue and I'm just tidying things up a little.  

• User profile image
    Ian2

Ian2 said:
    LukePuplett said:
    *snip*

Interesting if a little too radical for the scope of this project (I want to keep it simple for the port to WP7).

I'll put up another version in an hour or so - I've yeilded (partially depending on your point of view) to the 'sticky magnifying glass' issue and I'm just tidying things up a little.  

Spot the Difference

OK, The above represents the latest version, I've gone for the easy way out (shrinking the image) which left me with some spae to fill (hence the counters on the right and the stats on the lower left).

Thought I might add a couple of sound effects (I know) and then call it a day, pending your feedback?

• User profile image
    Dovella

XNA Game Studio 4.0 for Windows Phone http://is.gd/a3nPj

Go MS GO GO GO!!!!!!

Go Developers GO GO GO!!!!!!!

• User profile image
    LukePuplett

Dovella said:

XNA Game Studio 4.0 for Windows Phone http://is.gd/a3nPj

Go MS GO GO GO!!!!!!

Go Developers GO GO GO!!!!!!!

You're almost there.

I'd fade the looking glass out when the mouse leaves the photo as the sticking effect looks irksome and it cleans the page up so the user can click other buttons and links in the border.

It's actually harder than I imagined it'd be. I s'pose the trick is to scrub the glass and let your eyes 'see' the on/off-ing of pixels. Damn I ruined it for everyone... and I've already clicked Add comment.

• User profile image
    Ian2

LukePuplett said:
    Dovella said:
    *snip*

You're almost there.

I'd fade the looking glass out when the mouse leaves the photo as the sticking effect looks irksome and it cleans the page up so the user can click other buttons and links in the border.

It's actually harder than I imagined it'd be. I s'pose the trick is to scrub the glass and let your eyes 'see' the on/off-ing of pixels. Damn I ruined it for everyone... and I've already clicked Add comment.

Thanks for that, I've addedyour suggestion about the mag glass fading to my ToDo list.

Please keep the comments/criticism coming!

Here is my current "TODO" list as it stands at the moment:

• Find some appropriate sound effects (clicked correctly / clicked incorrectly, "TADA" on completion?)
    • Constrain / Fade out the Magnifying Glass when out of bounds / ensure links are visible at all times.
    • Animate the phone from Portrait to Landscape on startup (or maybe put the phone shell on the web page?)
    • Silverlight Splash screen?  (Not sure if this is needed if I can keep the app under 250k?)
    • Tidy up the code (group entry points etc)

(I am at a photography show all day tomorrow so probably won't get chance to look at this again until Thursday).

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.