Coffeehouse Thread

52 posts

If you weren't a developer, what would you be doing instead?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Bass

Forest Ranger.

• User profile image
    Charles

Scientist. Planetary science and astronomy. But, of course, I stopped coding a few years ago. Now, I'm a full time technographer.

C

• User profile image
    Cream​Filling512

Venture capitalist

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Back in secondary school I used to think I'd make my way being a graphic designer or web designer, as that's what I was into (along with digital art) before I transitioned into web development (and then software dev in general, and then CS).

Before that I wanted to be a neurosurgeon, and before that, a weapons designer (I used to play Hellbender a lot, and the game's story revolved around the protagonist's father, who was a weapons designer).

...as it so happens my current research area involves battlefield robots, I guess things have come full-circle.

• User profile image
    Harlequin

Stealing Charles' discoveries as my own.

• User profile image
    figuerres

Hmmm well i have several possible ones:

Landscape Architect

Something Medical or in Biology

Botany or Conservation related.

Marine Biology / Reef Conservation and Coral Propagation

Orchid Grower

I have done things i several fields, I have worked for a year and a half in Stream rehab / Conservation in Northern California near the Klamath River.

I also have worked in plant nursery both retail and educational.

I have a bunch or Orchids booming right now behind me.

I have had 2 Reef Tanks with Hard coral and all kinds of reef cirtters.

• User profile image
    magicalclick

Maybe artist. While I can't draw, I am feeling like doing it. Or a cheif.

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Ion Todirel

test pilot at NASA

• User profile image
    vesuvius

I'd be in jail...only kidding!

I'm a mech eng by trade, so I'd probably be doing that.

• User profile image
    Bas

Something involving writing. Words, not code. In fact I'm trying to move towards that goal. Slowly.

• User profile image
    kettch

I'd probably either be in audio engineering or photography. Those are two hobbies that I spend the most time on.

• User profile image
    vesuvius

Bas said:

Something involving writing. Words, not code. In fact I'm trying to move towards that goal. Slowly.

That's why I think people should blog more. I have had a meagre 50 000 views for my blog, that only has a handful of articles, and had nearly as many comments as posts, but it is rewarding when people say nice things in comments or email.

To think that in Victorian times, 50 000 people was a lot, and the likes of Shakespear and Dickens posthumously gained worldwide popularity. Sherlock Holmes started as a bunch of short stories, and in this world of Kindles, iPads and Couriers, having your material availabe on the web increases the likely hood of it being read.

• User profile image
    Ian2

vesuvius said:
    Bas said:
    *snip*

That's why I think people should blog more. I have had a meagre 50 000 views for my blog, that only has a handful of articles, and had nearly as many comments as posts, but it is rewarding when people say nice things in comments or email.

To think that in Victorian times, 50 000 people was a lot, and the likes of Shakespear and Dickens posthumously gained worldwide popularity. Sherlock Holmes started as a bunch of short stories, and in this world of Kindles, iPads and Couriers, having your material availabe on the web increases the likely hood of it being read.

Probably the Captain of a Starship, then when on furloe a stereographer. 

• User profile image
    AndyC

I'd probably manage a team of third line IT support staff. Tongue Out

• User profile image
    ManipUni

Tech Support, Engineering, heck a mechanic might be fun (particularly aircraft).

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

ManipUni said:

Tech Support, Engineering, heck a mechanic might be fun (particularly aircraft).

I expect I'd have some crappy desk job in an office somewhere.

My academic career came to an end anyway (didn't like the ivory tower and wanted a decent living wage), so I don't expect I'd have stayed in that field.

Herbie

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

Probably still be a call center phone lackey, IT support, or Air Force.  All things I gave up in pursuit of the dream.

• User profile image
    PerfectPhase

Astrospace engineer, design and testing of propulsion systems.  Or marine engineering, I quite fancy building and operating ROVs.

If reality wasn't an issue I'd be working on something like project orion.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.