Coffeehouse Thread

52 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

If you weren't a developer, what would you be doing instead?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Sabot

I was in the Army before I was medically discharged ( I was run-over) so I wound up as a developer not being my first choice.

I think people are developers on a step to somewhere, it's not a destinaton like it used to be. Why? Well I think that coding has lost it's cool.

I love being a Architect but I'm crossing ove to the darkside and entering management ... but I'm still coming here. Being a good *whatever* in tech means that you need to see things from other points of view.

• User profile image
    Minh

A rugged, but handsome loner paleontologist with a heart of gold. Always looking for that big discovery, traveling from town to town in the American West. Leaving each town a little better than when I found it.

• User profile image
    JoshRoss

I would be a script kiddie.  Does that count as an answer to this post?  If not, then something mechanical.  I have a deep need to build things.

• User profile image
    AdityaG

Wanted to be a fighter pilot since I was a kid. Ended up going to uni for computer engineering.

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

Given my experience over the last few weeks, I would probably be forcefully hurling my skull against the nearest hard object again and again and again.

I cannot believe some of the people who get hired as developers.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Minh said:

A rugged, but handsome loner paleontologist with a heart of gold. Always looking for that big discovery, traveling from town to town in the American West. Leaving each town a little better than when I found it.

If I remember correctly, all you did before you got hired was lounge around your apartment all day Tongue Out How come you're hardly ever online Messenger?

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Dr Herbie said:
    ManipUni said:
    *snip*

I expect I'd have some crappy desk job in an office somewhere.

My academic career came to an end anyway (didn't like the ivory tower and wanted a decent living wage), so I don't expect I'd have stayed in that field.

Herbie

You've mentioned the Ivory Tower before, but what about industrial research? The work is more-or-less the same (well, there's less freedom) and the pay is significantly higher. I can imagine there are dozens of companies looking to hire a postdoc in your field.

• User profile image
    contextfree

My #2 interest is music, although I dunno that I could make a living off it.

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

W3bbo said:
    Minh said:
    *snip*

If I remember correctly, all you did before you got hired was lounge around your apartment all day Tongue Out How come you're hardly ever online Messenger?

He's using GTalk, like pretty much everyone else Wink

• User profile image
    PerfectPhase

ScanIAm said:

Given my experience over the last few weeks, I would probably be forcefully hurling my skull against the nearest hard object again and again and again.

I cannot believe some of the people who get hired as developers.

We're looking at the moment (anyone want a job in Hertfordshire UK) and I second that comment.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

PerfectPhase said:
    ScanIAm said:
    *snip*

We're looking at the moment (anyone want a job in Hertfordshire UK) and I second that comment.

I'm about 80 miles away, is that close enough? Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

W3bbo said:
    Dr Herbie said:
    *snip*

You've mentioned the Ivory Tower before, but what about industrial research? The work is more-or-less the same (well, there's less freedom) and the pay is significantly higher. I can imagine there are dozens of companies looking to hire a postdoc in your field.

Evolutionary theory is a long, long way away from anything that industry would be interested in : there aren't even any experiments, so my experimental methodology is rusty as hell. The only practical applications of evolutionary mechanisms (like genetic algorithms) are dominated by computer science and mathematics (and I am truly dreadful at mathematics). As it was I had trouble getting a PhD studentship because they were all going to mathematicians -- I guess it's easier for a mathematician to learn about biology than for a biologist to learn about mathematics.

I wish I understood calculus -- I've tried learning it three times and still don't really get it.

Herbie

• User profile image
    NikitaP

1. User Experience Designer/Researcher

2. Advertising or Marketing

3. Sound Engineer / Sountrack Mixer for Movies & Music

Or a profession where I talk to customers all day about what their like and what they don't. And talk them through possible solutions. *sigh* sales in terms of profession, but in essence I just want to help people live a better life, event if it's just at work where they spend 8 hours a day or a phone they use for 18hours a day. The little things they will look at a million times more than I will in most cases.

• User profile image
    JoshRoss

Ion Todirel said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

He's using GTalk, like pretty much everyone else Wink

There should be a spot on the user profile for IM address. I have to image that more people have one or more IM accounts than blogs.

• User profile image
    exoteric

I'd do painting, music and computational art.

• User profile image
    Raghavendra_​Mudugal

me;

Translator/Journalist/Bartender

• User profile image
    Pace

Fitness Instructor Smiley probably... or a sparky 

• User profile image
    turrican

Homeless Tongue Out

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.