Coffeehouse Thread

7 posts

Microsoft RSS Aggregation via OPML is no more?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Ian2

Thank you for using My.live.com. On March 15, 2010, My.live.com will be discontinued and all users redirected to My MSN. Please note that your settings, feeds and gadgets will not be migrated to My MSN, however, you can export them to an OPML file (learn more) To visit MyMSN today, click here.

So I can export my feeds in OPML, but I can't import the OPML into My.MSN.COM? 

Anyone know the thinking behind this?

• User profile image
    PaoloM

Nobody (statistically) was using it, so they discontinued the project.

Sadly, I'm one - like you - of the nobodies Sad

I guess you can use the OPML on other aggregator sites, but I didn't find a really good one so far... maybe it could be an interesting Ch9 project.... Smiley

• User profile image
    Ian2

PaoloM said:

I guess you can use the OPML on other aggregator sites, but I didn't find a really good one so far... maybe it could be an interesting Ch9 project.... Smiley

Thanks for finding out what was going on (It is my secondary homescreen tab (after email) so I will miss it). 

Maybe if they had re-engineered it to highlight support for Twitter/Facebook Feeds/Searches they could have relaunched it?

• User profile image
    PaoloM

Ian2 said:
    PaoloM said:
    *snip*

Thanks for finding out what was going on (It is my secondary homescreen tab (after email) so I will miss it). 

Maybe if they had re-engineered it to highlight support for Twitter/Facebook Feeds/Searches they could have relaunched it?

Or maybe someone of our local JavaScript gurus could whip up something similar Smiley

• User profile image
    kriskdf

PaoloM said:

i manually added stuff to my.msn.com and it wasn't as good for me.  I sent feedback and then downloaded RSS Bandit.  I'd prefer to keep my.live.com account going.  I like that I can see all the headlines on one screen without scrolling.  Not possible on my.msn.com.  Booo!!!  

• User profile image
    Ian2

kriskdf said:
    PaoloM said:
    *snip*

i manually added stuff to my.msn.com and it wasn't as good for me.  I sent feedback and then downloaded RSS Bandit.  I'd prefer to keep my.live.com account going.  I like that I can see all the headlines on one screen without scrolling.  Not possible on my.msn.com.  Booo!!!  

Looks like iGoogle might be the best alternative - no OPML import though.  Maybe something Silverlight is coming with MIX?

• User profile image
    PaoloM

kriskdf said:
    PaoloM said:
    *snip*

Apparently a similar alternative is NetVibes. But, as normal with tools you're used to, you need to commit to use it for a bit until it gets natural.

I didn't have the patience Smiley

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.