Coffeehouse Thread

47 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Channel 9 Live at MIX10 (Post Your Questions Here)

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    mdtauk

Will Microsoft consider upgrading the Zune HD devices to use the Windows Phone 7 Series firmware, all be it without the Telephony, 3G, SMS, and Camera functionality?

• User profile image
    figuerres

1) Silverlight 4 - will we have an RC for VS 2010 RC by the end of Mix? - for Scott Gu

2) Silverlight 4 and Sql Reporting Services - have any plans been made yet to have a report viewer control for SL4 in the next say 6 months ? - Scott or others if someone on the sql reports team is there.

about sql reports:  i have been asking about this for a while now. I have been told they are "looking at it" but not any kind of commitment so far.  if we do not have a control coming then i may have to talk the boss into buying a 3rd party offering and the company is one i have not used before ... so i would rather have MS provide the control.

• User profile image
    Dovella

WP7s ok,

Any news for Zune HD  ? Any project?

• User profile image
    Bas

For Michael Klucher and Shawn Hargreaves (or maybe Scott Gu, but I'm guessing this should go to the XNA guys): the development story for WP7S seems to be XNA and Silverlight. Suppose I want to use Silverlight as a graphics engine for my XNA games, for instance because I want to create a game that uses the Bing Maps Silverlight control, or because I want to be able to bring my game not just to phones but to everywhere that runs Silverlight. What are the possibilities in this regard? Is it either XNA or Silverlight, or will there be some sort of way to use the two together? There's currently a 3rd party library that lets you run your sprite based XNA game on Silverlight, but with XNA and Silverlight being the primary development platforms on WP7S, will there be anything from Microsoft itself to adress this?

• User profile image
    Ian2

Bas said:

For Michael Klucher and Shawn Hargreaves (or maybe Scott Gu, but I'm guessing this should go to the XNA guys): the development story for WP7S seems to be XNA and Silverlight. Suppose I want to use Silverlight as a graphics engine for my XNA games, for instance because I want to create a game that uses the Bing Maps Silverlight control, or because I want to be able to bring my game not just to phones but to everywhere that runs Silverlight. What are the possibilities in this regard? Is it either XNA or Silverlight, or will there be some sort of way to use the two together? There's currently a 3rd party library that lets you run your sprite based XNA game on Silverlight, but with XNA and Silverlight being the primary development platforms on WP7S, will there be anything from Microsoft itself to adress this?

For Scott Gu.

What is the correct way to play a short sound file, perhaps for a user click or touch in Silverlight?  After registering the sound as a resource I (and I've noticed others) are doing this in order to get a result:

MyClickSound.Stop();

MyClickSOund.Play();

That feels wrong?

PS I have cross posted this in tech off.

• User profile image
    elmer

The rumour mills are running hot that iPhone OS 4.0 will go unlocked pre-emptive multi-tasking... bringing it into line with it's main competition.

What is the real position on multi-tasking with WinMo7 ?

• User profile image
    cernajose

Question 1 Will HTC and Microsoft provide an update for the HTC HD2, if not why not. If  the excuse is the buttons why not sell the update for a reasonable price and ship button stickers to replace current icons.?  

Question 2 On the apps list why a list and not a grid like in 6.5 the list icons seem small and hard to hit?  

Question 3 Is it possible to install applications and move remove files from the phone without using special software like zune. This is possible in 6.5  

Question 4 is removable media supported like microsd cards?  

Question 5 what video formats will be compatible?  

Question 6 will this finally work with Windows Media Center as a type of extender, I want to watch recorded shows and movies?  

Question7 Is the netflix app coming and can I watch my streaming movies  

Question 8 Is IPTV coming to these devices? When? Are you going to use someone other than AT&T? I really want to pay one fee a month to watch tv in computer, living room, phone, zune etc.  

Question 9 Why the name? Windows Phone 7 Series, how will you tell a customer to go get one should they say. Do you have any Windows Phone 7 Series Phones or what  

Question 10 Can you please make sure that google voice works, if your not going to allow it then when is Microsoft releasing a similar services as part of LIVE

Thanks first is more important to me last one is less

• User profile image
    EgoMaximus

Will HTC and Microsoft provide an update for the HTC HD2, if not why not.? 

This! 5 buttons instead of 3 is not an excuse.

• User profile image
    Herby

Im not exactly sure who to address this question to but,

There has been many comparisons drawn between the windows phone 7 series and the Zune. Will the new windows phone, in part, represent an international zune offering with subscription music service similar to that available in the United States? Will the hardware and software capabilities of the windows phone 7 series media player be at the same quality level as that of the Zune and offer the same quality of audio playback and features such as gapless mp3 playback?

Thank you in advance and feel free to ask whomever you feel would most likely provide a relevant answer and not just re-hashed marketing pitches.

• User profile image
    nektar

For Charlie Kindel:

Question: Will the OS and apps for Windows 7 Series be accessible to people with disabilities via for example a built-in screen reader for the blind, like the one on the iPhone, or will native and built-in accessibility come later in a future version?

Comments: Personally I would think that accessibility through a built-in screen reader or magnifier should be a priority, since Microsoft is the worst of all the vendors on accessibility at the moment:

Google has an open source screen reader/magnifier plus speech recognition for more than one language, Nokia has built-in text-to-speech, Apple has a built-in screen reader and magnifier plus text-to-speech for numerous languages plus speech recognition,

whilst Microsoft has no screen reader/magnifier, no text-to-speech, no multi-language support for text-to-speech and no dictation, and buying such accessibility tools for Windows Phones is currently extremely expensive $400 plus.

Second question:

If the words "7 Series" are now used to denote Windows Phone 7 Series Phones, then how are you going to manage to find names for the future versions (8, 9, etc) of this same platform if they are all part of the "7 Series"? "Windows Phone 8 Series" would then tend to  denote a completely new platform and so numbers above 7 will not be usable.

• User profile image
    Bas

For Michael Klucher and Shawn Hargreaves: what input methods can be expected when building games? So far I've seen touch and the accelerator. As far as I can tell, a directional pad is not part of the spec. Will developers have to build their own control scheme based on the raw touch and accelerator data, or will there be built in support for, for instance, an on-screen directional pad or touch gestures?

Also, will there be other input methods? For instance, the camera or microphone.

Finally, what kind of accelerometer data can we expect? Will it be able to tell the phone's orientation to the ground, for instance, or just movement around a certain axis? What about the precision?

• User profile image
    CKurt

Bas said:

For Michael Klucher and Shawn Hargreaves: what input methods can be expected when building games? So far I've seen touch and the accelerator. As far as I can tell, a directional pad is not part of the spec. Will developers have to build their own control scheme based on the raw touch and accelerator data, or will there be built in support for, for instance, an on-screen directional pad or touch gestures?

Also, will there be other input methods? For instance, the camera or microphone.

Finally, what kind of accelerometer data can we expect? Will it be able to tell the phone's orientation to the ground, for instance, or just movement around a certain axis? What about the precision?

At PDC09 one of the first things they said was "For Windows Live news we'll gladly talk to you at MIX next spring". What gives? No news about windows Live and the Live FrameWork ?

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Bas said:

I'd like to know why Microsoft pulled the 4-day D-pad from the hardware mandates of PPC2002: the requirement of 4 front buttons, the D-pad, and the side-buttons made the PPC a nice platform for games (granted, only Compaq's PDAs had well-built D-pads, but that's besides the point). If you fancy making WinPho a compelling rival to Nintendo, bring back the d-pad.

• User profile image
    Bas

W3bbo said:
    Bas said:
    *snip*

I'd like to know why Microsoft pulled the 4-day D-pad from the hardware mandates of PPC2002: the requirement of 4 front buttons, the D-pad, and the side-buttons made the PPC a nice platform for games (granted, only Compaq's PDAs had well-built D-pads, but that's besides the point). If you fancy making WinPho a compelling rival to Nintendo, bring back the d-pad.

iPhone games seem to be doing well without one. But yeah, personally I'd prefer to game with hardware buttons.

• User profile image
    cernajose

cernajose said:

Question 1 Will HTC and Microsoft provide an update for the HTC HD2, if not why not. If  the excuse is the buttons why not sell the update for a reasonable price and ship button stickers to replace current icons.?  

Question 2 On the apps list why a list and not a grid like in 6.5 the list icons seem small and hard to hit?  

Question 3 Is it possible to install applications and move remove files from the phone without using special software like zune. This is possible in 6.5  

Question 4 is removable media supported like microsd cards?  

Question 5 what video formats will be compatible?  

Question 6 will this finally work with Windows Media Center as a type of extender, I want to watch recorded shows and movies?  

Question7 Is the netflix app coming and can I watch my streaming movies  

Question 8 Is IPTV coming to these devices? When? Are you going to use someone other than AT&T? I really want to pay one fee a month to watch tv in computer, living room, phone, zune etc.  

Question 9 Why the name? Windows Phone 7 Series, how will you tell a customer to go get one should they say. Do you have any Windows Phone 7 Series Phones or what  

Question 10 Can you please make sure that google voice works, if your not going to allow it then when is Microsoft releasing a similar services as part of LIVE

Thanks first is more important to me last one is less

Question7 Is the netflix app coming and can I watch my streaming movies  

That was a yes nice demo

• User profile image
    digitalsurg​eon

I heard Silverlight was now available for Symbian as well ? Is that true ?

• User profile image
    vpease

What about backward compatibility with WM5/6 applications on new WP7? do we have to rewrite the code?

• User profile image
    clintsinger

There hasn't been any mention of what the Silverlight story is for Windows Phone 7 with respect to the built in IE browser. 

Will websites with Silverlight content be viewable from within the mobile browser?

Update: I would still like this question answered please!  Though it seems more petty to ask a second time. 

Cheers,

Clint

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.