Coffeehouse Thread

13 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

'Metro' - Human Interface Guidelines?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    mdtauk

Paul Thurrott tweeted a nice photo of a selection of posters demonstrating the creed that is the Windows Phone 7 Series UI "Metro".

Metro Posters Photographed by Paul Thurrott

I am wondering when - or if - we are likely to see the release of a "Metro" Human Interface Guideline document/website which could help designers or developers understand more of the intricacies and conventions about how the interface is constructed (in what I presume is Expression Blend and Visual Studios WPF Designer), the recommended font sizes and grid layouts etc.

With the first truly new UI from Microsoft in many years, without any legacy baggage, it would be interesting to see how comprehensive it is, and how coherent the various elements are.

I know this may not interest everyone here, as I am sure Developers outweigh Designers, but it is something that will be helpful for both.

• User profile image
    Dovella

MetrĂ² is AMAZING

• User profile image
    Minh

"Metro" is a BOLD statement... which we haven't seen from MS in a while

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Minh said:

Yes, finally something to combat of the hodgepodge of ugly, ugly programs for Windows Mobile that would not look out-of-place from 15 years ago.

• User profile image
    Minh

W3bbo said:
    Minh said:
    *snip*

Yes, finally something to combat of the hodgepodge of ugly, ugly programs for Windows Mobile that would not look out-of-place from 15 years ago.

Not only WinMo... I think Metro could trump the iPhone UI

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Minh said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

Not only WinMo... I think Metro could trump the iPhone UI

The iPhone UI is largely very nice looking, but parts of it seem under-done and never got the same love the other parts of the UI got, like the huge buttons for on-screen menus, and the UI for the Voice Control app: it's just huge buttons with simple gradients.

I thnk "Glossy Glass", as a UI design cliche, is on the way out; much like reflected images.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

Minh said:

Keep in mind that Metro (as a design language) is already used in Media Center and Zune (and in the Silverlight Facebook sample app), so you already have some kind of guidelines to apply to your own development.

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

PaoloM said:
    Minh said:
    *snip*

Keep in mind that Metro (as a design language) is already used in Media Center and Zune (and in the Silverlight Facebook sample app), so you already have some kind of guidelines to apply to your own development.

Examples != guidelines

Microsoft needs to specify (in writing) how a Windows Mobile app should look and behave--  otherwise, you're going to get slight (or sometimes significant) variations in how apps behave and you won't be in any better a situation that with the current Windows Mobile.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

CannotResolveSymbol said:
    PaoloM said:
    *snip*

Examples != guidelines

Microsoft needs to specify (in writing) how a Windows Mobile app should look and behave--  otherwise, you're going to get slight (or sometimes significant) variations in how apps behave and you won't be in any better a situation that with the current Windows Mobile.

And of course you assume that there won't be any guideline?

• User profile image
    Minh

W3bbo said:
    Minh said:
    *snip*

The iPhone UI is largely very nice looking, but parts of it seem under-done and never got the same love the other parts of the UI got, like the huge buttons for on-screen menus, and the UI for the Voice Control app: it's just huge buttons with simple gradients.

I thnk "Glossy Glass", as a UI design cliche, is on the way out; much like reflected images.

I would say any particular element is only cliche' when overused. Glassy on it's own isn't bad... I would even put it on the good side of neutral.

Our vision is optimized for natural motion, so we don't like it when things just disappear, so a UI design with motion in mind can only be good.

What makes something clean, modern (ie... beautiful)? There has to be an inate sense of beauty in human beings... within a bell curve. Maybe "Metro" found the right font that tickles most people's sense of beauty... I do like the font.

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

PaoloM said:
    CannotResolveSymbol said:
    *snip*

And of course you assume that there won't be any guideline?

I didn't say that--  I just said that there need to be guidelines.

There are no guidelines for Windows Mobile right now, though, so prior history would imply that there won't be any guidelines for WP7 either.

• User profile image
    Cream​Filling512

When I get a bug for having UI labels truncated in some other language, I'm just going to say it's complying with Metro guidelines.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

CreamFilling512 said:

When I get a bug for having UI labels truncated in some other language, I'm just going to say it's complying with Metro guidelines.

I lol'd

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.