Coffeehouse Thread

23 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Should Enterprise Devs stick to WindowsMobile6 for now?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    DaveK

ScanIAm said:
    DaveK said:
    *snip*

Or what?  You'll incessantly whine some more?

Nice to hear from you again.

Dave K

• User profile image
    DaveK

Ray7 said:

DaveK said:
    *snip*

I'm a bit late to all of this, but it sounds as if you didn't pick up on Microsoft's plans for this thing.

This is a consumer OS. This is what MS has said it is from day one.  If I were you I wouldn't get your hopes up that it will be anything else.

Day one for you may be 6 months to a year  ago. For me it was 2007. But after seeing the architecture session from MIX, I have to agree with the fact that this is not a platform for any serious field data collection apps that continuously enter data all day.

Dave K

• User profile image
    magicalclick

Well, Windows Phone is NOT Windows Mobile for sure. Wink  I mean, Phone and Mobile really spell and pronounce differently, don't you think? Enterprise? I am sorry that MS no longer can keep focusing on Enterprise leveled Phone OS. The general public want a consumer based phone OS, not a mobile windows.

It is obviously that, for mobile windows developers, you better say with Windows Mobile, or I think you should use core Windows CE instead. I am not really sure why you need windows mobile kind of OS, but, from my assumptions, you would have certain specialized (unPhone) device. And this is more likely you should use Win CE to deliever a complete device experience instead.

In any case you can't deal with hardware, use WinMo. But IMO, you should still give WinPh7 a try. I mean, you are a developer right? So, you really gonna say there is only one way to do your suff? Besides, I remember there are some kind of data store in Silverlight anyway? Or just use XNA to store your data manually? It is not like WinPh7's requierment is 0MB storage.

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Ray7

DaveK said:
    Ray7 said:
    *snip*

Day one for you may be 6 months to a year  ago. For me it was 2007. But after seeing the architecture session from MIX, I have to agree with the fact that this is not a platform for any serious field data collection apps that continuously enter data all day.

Dave K

Whenever they first said it doesn't really matter. The fact is they said it: WindowsPhone7 is a phone aimed at consumers. Rather than pin your hopes on this changing in time to suit your project's schedule, your best bet would be to look for a solution that works now.

• User profile image
    DaveK

Ray7 said:
    DaveK said:
    *snip*

Whenever they first said it doesn't really matter. The fact is they said it: WindowsPhone7 is a phone aimed at consumers. Rather than pin your hopes on this changing in time to suit your project's schedule, your best bet would be to look for a solution that works now.

I agree

Dave K

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.