Coffeehouse Thread

7 posts

dshadle: Bravo on the Channel 9 meme! question?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jamie

First of all - I applaud you on the meme creation: which co notates happiness, easy to talk to, intelligent.. + its cool to boot ( pun intended Wink

what do the 4 ( easy to remember and recognize) tubes from his head mean?

my guess?  the 4 pillars of ms success:

1. ease of use
    2. consistent, strong programming
    3. Willingness to change
    4. to provide the best

k - that’s a bit "nice"  but isn’t that what ms does?

Or perhaps they just mean:
    - love - hate - good - evil

inquring minds want to know Wink

• User profile image
    Loadsgood

Yes... You do that Jam. What the .... is a meme?

• User profile image
    jamie

logo = symbol = brand = meme

the representation of an idea communicated within a brand as illustrated in a symbol thats used as a logo

Doctor scholes recenty ran an adcampaign with nothing but a huge bottom of foot with their logo on it's soul.  thats a good example of a meme - bottom of foot = dr scholes

A carboard bucket = kfc
    3 stripes = adidas
    flag = windows
    butterfly=msn  ( this is the best meme ms has..)

4 "points" head guy = channel 9

i guess i was just asking - what were you thinking of when you put 4 things up there?  maybe it just looked good Wink

( * google is a meme that just - looks - good - doesnt really represent anything except cheerful/ colourful)

• User profile image
    Loadsgood

Maybe there turning Homer Simpson

Into a robot

Generic Forum Image

• User profile image
    Loadsgood

If you look at it at an angle where you just look at homer's head and his hair not the body and put some imagination into it.

• User profile image
    dshadle

AH - inspiration!?!

When we first started talking about creating Channel 9 the idea was to have UI that did not look as if it was created by MSFT. Afterall, a heavily MS branded site would be less inviting for community involvement which was the real goal.

Lenn presented a concept and I started playing with variations of it. At the same time, I had/have been itching to get back into more illustration and less "brand-restrictive" projects. While I am not part of any product group there are many guidelines that need to be followed when creating prototypes and demo related designs for Longhorn (my primary job).

As a designer, I like to play with various styles and recently was finding inspiration in "pixelart". This was something I have always wanted to play with but always found myself coming back to a more "polished" look. Another inspiration (and where the original idea for the red banner developed) was from a recently attended David Bowie concert - he has a huge video screen which displays amazing animations, etc. It was my goal to replicate that screen and while it is not there it is a start! Basically everything came out of this banner. Next was "Channel 9 Guy" (although at that time it was simply refered to as "the logo") Again, Lenn had this idea of a simple character that you could perhaps see on the bottom of a skate or snowboard - very graphic and flat. While I liked the concept, it was not fitting in with the direction the site was heading. My approach is to imagine what a design would look like if it was fabricated out of wood.The challenge was to take this "block of wood" and pixelize it. I wanted to avoid the need for logotype which lead the body into a "9". The hair on the original concept was two swoopy strands - this element did not lend itself well to design so I simply added the pillars. I wish there was some clever meaning or representation of the hair - but there is not. 

I am really excited that Channel 9 guy is beginning to take on a persona of its own and look forward to seeing (and creating) more deviatives of it.

Here are some initial concepts leading to what is now known as "Channel 9 guy" 

• User profile image
    jamie

very cool.

for sure the final version is the best one - but interesting to see how it came about Smiley

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.