Coffeehouse Thread

16 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Better iPad concept than the iPad

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/18/windows-phone-7-tablet-concept-is-just-a-big-iphone-video/

This is a concept for a tablet version of the Windows Phone, which Engadget, making light of the criticism of the iPad, says "is just a big iPhone".

But, looking at the concept, I think thats exactly the point. Being able to stand up horizontally (not vertically), and with a focus on features such as video calling, it looks like something you'd put on a kitchen table as a replacement for a land-line phone. It is a phone, but for the house. It doesn't need to fit in your pocket, but on a kitchen table.

Generic Forum Image

Its a much clearer concept of what use a slate-form tablet would be used for than the concept for the iPad.

• User profile image
    rhm

Ugly hardware to go with the ugly software interface. Interesting gamble by engadget to go anti-Apple - I guess someone there figured there's media market share to be had.

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

Interesting, although their focus on messaging/telephone functionality completely misses what appeals to me about the iPad (I don't need another phone in my life, even if it is a "3D Video" phone).

The great thing about the iPad (and why I predict it'll be successful) is that it's essentially a blank slate (no pun intended).  Apple's given people a nudge in the direction of using it as a full-featured productivity device (word processing, presentations, etc.), but otherwise, the iPad will be whatever third-party developers make it.

• User profile image
    JoshRoss

For better or worse, the biggest difference between Apple and anyone else fabricating concept devices is that Apple ships. They ship things that have serious shortcomings for 10% of the purchasing public, but the 90% that's left find things perfectly acceptable. They do something else good, they know when to dump a technology and when to keep another. Sure sometimes they prematurely dump something like DVI but they haven't dumped anything like what Microsoft has dumped in the WindowsCE / SurePlay / Mobile realm.

That said, Microsoft caters to both the retards and the geniuses and increasing more to the folks in the middle. I love working with the products Microsoft puts love into. I just wish there was just more love to go around; that and maybe a commitment that what we purchase will work ten years from now.

-Josh

• User profile image
    Minh

Pssss.... (the iPad isn't a concept anymore)

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

JoshRoss said:

For better or worse, the biggest difference between Apple and anyone else fabricating concept devices is that Apple ships. They ship things that have serious shortcomings for 10% of the purchasing public, but the 90% that's left find things perfectly acceptable. They do something else good, they know when to dump a technology and when to keep another. Sure sometimes they prematurely dump something like DVI but they haven't dumped anything like what Microsoft has dumped in the WindowsCE / SurePlay / Mobile realm.

That said, Microsoft caters to both the retards and the geniuses and increasing more to the folks in the middle. I love working with the products Microsoft puts love into. I just wish there was just more love to go around; that and maybe a commitment that what we purchase will work ten years from now.

-Josh

and maybe a commitment that what we purchase will work ten years from now.

I believe it's called Windows XP, and there are times when I seriously wish it didn't work any more... Tongue Out

• User profile image
    turrican

The problem with iPad is that it's from Apple. Locked! It's really a glorified Kindle or something. Now if I could put Windows 7 on an iPad, attach it to a monitor and keyboard + mouse. Fanless... mmmmmmmmmmmmmm nice thin client thank you very much. I can't wait for something like that to be released, I would sooo buy it.

• User profile image
    rhm

turrican said:

The problem with iPad is that it's from Apple. Locked! It's really a glorified Kindle or something. Now if I could put Windows 7 on an iPad, attach it to a monitor and keyboard + mouse. Fanless... mmmmmmmmmmmmmm nice thin client thank you very much. I can't wait for something like that to be released, I would sooo buy it.

Get a tablet PC then. OK, they cost 3 times as much, but you do get three times the bulk!

• User profile image
    Ray7

turrican said:

Put Windows7 on it?

Attach a monitor and a keyboard?

Isn't that a laptop?

• User profile image
    Dovella

Ray7 said:
    turrican said:
    *snip*

Put Windows7 on it?

Attach a monitor and a keyboard?

Isn't that a laptop?

EHrm 

Generic Forum Image

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

Courier 

• User profile image
    Dovella

Ion Todirel said:

Courier 

'''??? O_ç ?

• User profile image
    Ray7

Dovella said:
    Ray7 said:
    *snip*

EHrm 

Generic Forum Image

Yup, it's a laptop. A cumbersome, underpowered laptop.

• User profile image
    RLO

Ion Todirel said:

Courier 

A.  Someone hasn't read the weblogs or forum.

B.  The unicorn's not dead?

NPH Rides a Uni

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

RLO said:
    Ion Todirel said:
    *snip*

A.  Someone hasn't read the weblogs or forum.

B.  The unicorn's not dead?

NPH Rides a Uni

What part of the "concept" wasn't clear? It doesn't need to be alive or dead to be a concept.

• User profile image
    RLO

Ion Todirel said:
    RLO said:
    *snip*

What part of the "concept" wasn't clear? It doesn't need to be alive or dead to be a concept.

Ok, that make sense.  You even had Dovella confused, lol.   I agree that Couier is the best concept whether it becomes reality or not. 

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.