Coffeehouse Thread

16 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Need an idea for a new personal coding project

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    codrivr

Hot off the heels of the failure that was my last project, I'm trying to think of a new project to work on in my spare time. I've been trying to come up with something for weeks and haven't thought of anything at all.

So, naturally, I thought maybe you guys might have some suggestions. I'm planning to write whatever it is in C# using either WinForms or WPF. I'm open to pretty much everything at this point.

Any ideas? Smiley

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Not an idea per-se, but make something beautiful enough to appear on here that will forever change my current impressions of WPF applications.

• User profile image
    codrivr

W3bbo said:

Not an idea per-se, but make something beautiful enough to appear on here that will forever change my current impressions of WPF applications.

While I consider myself a pretty good designer, that could be a challenge. I like it.

• User profile image
    JoshRoss

Write an app the can keep track of my exercise regimen.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

JoshRoss said:

Write an app the can keep track of my exercise regimen.

There are hundreds of those programs, even ones that can use those serial ports you see on the back of Technogym machines (I hear the new ones have USB and Bluetooth).

Why not make a game? One idea you can do is to take an existing single-player casual Flash game, then take the game mechanics and design and turn it into a networked multiplayer game.

Assuming you use XNA, if you do a good execution that might be sellable on XBLA then the original company might agree to license their artwork and branding to you in exchange for a substantial cut of the takings. You'd be surprised at how receptive those casual games companies are.

Alternatively, make a new game based in a fictional universe of your own creation: There haven't been many (if any at all) first-person space combat flight simulators since 2002. Developing one shouldn't be too hard, the only problem is getting people to make the artwork and 3D models, but you can easily outsource that to very capable indie artists, especially arts students looking for something to work on (the quality is excellent, at a dirt-cheap price). Securing investment shouldn't be a trouble if you've got a solid prototype to show off.

• User profile image
    davewill

Do something in the azure cloud.  Use your Winforms or WPF as a front end with back end web service calls to the guts in the cloud.  I don't understand the cloud resource usage calculations so I'm not sure at what level actual development of this nature can progress before incuring charges.

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

W3bbo said:
    JoshRoss said:
    *snip*

There are hundreds of those programs, even ones that can use those serial ports you see on the back of Technogym machines (I hear the new ones have USB and Bluetooth).

Why not make a game? One idea you can do is to take an existing single-player casual Flash game, then take the game mechanics and design and turn it into a networked multiplayer game.

Assuming you use XNA, if you do a good execution that might be sellable on XBLA then the original company might agree to license their artwork and branding to you in exchange for a substantial cut of the takings. You'd be surprised at how receptive those casual games companies are.

Alternatively, make a new game based in a fictional universe of your own creation: There haven't been many (if any at all) first-person space combat flight simulators since 2002. Developing one shouldn't be too hard, the only problem is getting people to make the artwork and 3D models, but you can easily outsource that to very capable indie artists, especially arts students looking for something to work on (the quality is excellent, at a dirt-cheap price). Securing investment shouldn't be a trouble if you've got a solid prototype to show off.

A friend and I once had the idea for a net-linked space shooter game where the universe was stored on-line so we could expand it over time (this was in the late 90s before the web bubble burst). Players would download and cache, or stream if they had the bandwidth.

We also came up with the idea of getting sponsors to provide prizes (like a new laptop) which would be placed at a location within the universe, leading to a treasure-hunt element of the game as well as the standard Elite-style trading and shooting.

We also wanted to be able to play it on an iPaq as a wireframe (original Elite style) game so you could carry on trading/shooting during the commute to work and synchronise your progress when you got home again.

So combine W3bbo's and davewill's suggestions and have a space-shooter game that uses Azure as the store for the game universe.

Herbie

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Dr Herbie said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

A friend and I once had the idea for a net-linked space shooter game where the universe was stored on-line so we could expand it over time (this was in the late 90s before the web bubble burst). Players would download and cache, or stream if they had the bandwidth.

We also came up with the idea of getting sponsors to provide prizes (like a new laptop) which would be placed at a location within the universe, leading to a treasure-hunt element of the game as well as the standard Elite-style trading and shooting.

We also wanted to be able to play it on an iPaq as a wireframe (original Elite style) game so you could carry on trading/shooting during the commute to work and synchronise your progress when you got home again.

So combine W3bbo's and davewill's suggestions and have a space-shooter game that uses Azure as the store for the game universe.

Herbie

Basically, you just described EVE Online.

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

W3bbo said:
    Dr Herbie said:
    *snip*

Basically, you just described EVE Online.

Yes, but single player, for all us misanthropes Tongue Out.

• User profile image
    ManipUni

Do something involving:

- Databases

- Net Driven Technology (.Net, Java, PHP, et al)

It will add tons to your net worth both in terms of actual pay and in terms of knowledge. My idea is... An ASP.net forum which doens't suck total balls.

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

ManipUni said:

Do something involving:

- Databases

- Net Driven Technology (.Net, Java, PHP, et al)

It will add tons to your net worth both in terms of actual pay and in terms of knowledge. My idea is... An ASP.net forum which doens't suck total balls.

Or you could go with a library-based project that just does one job with no UI.  How about a good, clean flexible implementation of storing contact details that handles internationalisation of address formats; see http://www.pcpro.co.uk/realworld/257035/address-formats (hello Simon if you're lurking today Smiley ). Make it DB-agnostic and publish the expected DB-Schema so that people could plug it into an existing system.

Herbie

• User profile image
    JoshRoss

W3bbo said:
    JoshRoss said:
    *snip*

How about a game where you memorize phone numbers that you should know? Ever since speed dial, I cannot remember phone numbers.

-Josh

• User profile image
    Royal​Schrubber

Write an app that can determine for an arbitrary app and input wheter it would freeze or not. That project might keep you occupied you for a while. Smiley

• User profile image
    Bass

RoyalSchrubber said:

Write an app that can determine for an arbitrary app and input wheter it would freeze or not. That project might keep you occupied you for a while. Smiley

dbl post

• User profile image
    dahat

W3bbo said:

That'd be tricky given the fact that virtually all of the apps there (at least as far as the first 10 pages are concerned) are iPhone apps... and the rest are Mac OS apps.

• User profile image
    Bass

I'm doing something mildly related to robotics at the moment. It's quite amusing to be able to write a piece of code and see it action on the things in the real world.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.