Coffeehouse Thread

18 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Hey Microsoft, Mac security is number one #humor? :D

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Dovella

Charlie Miller popped the MacBook Pro via Safari. His payload returned a full command shell.

Vincenzo Iozzo  (Italian) and Ralf Philipp Weinmann successfully exploit the iPhone via Safari in 5 minutes.

Generic Forum Image

• User profile image
    Ray7

Link?

• User profile image
    bureX
  • User profile image
    Ray7

bureX said:

Ta.

and

Blimey ...  Expressionless

And here was me thinking that the closed nature of the iPhone would keep it secure.

• User profile image
    wkempf

Ray7 said:
    bureX said:
    *snip*

Ta.

and

Blimey ...  Expressionless

And here was me thinking that the closed nature of the iPhone would keep it secure.

That's some bloody crazy thinking. Windows is closed nature and is hacked all the time. IE is closed and also frequently hacked. (By some definition of "all the time" and "frequently". I mean no slight to the security of either IE or Windows.) Software is hackable. It's just that simple. This is why the Mac and Linux claims about security are, erm, questionable at best.

• User profile image
    Ray7

wkempf said:
    Ray7 said:
    *snip*

That's some bloody crazy thinking. Windows is closed nature and is hacked all the time. IE is closed and also frequently hacked. (By some definition of "all the time" and "frequently". I mean no slight to the security of either IE or Windows.) Software is hackable. It's just that simple. This is why the Mac and Linux claims about security are, erm, questionable at best.

Actually, I was just paraphrasing what Apple has been telling folk, but never mind.  I'm still  surprised it fell so quickly though.

• User profile image
    wkempf

Ray7 said:
    wkempf said:
    *snip*

Actually, I was just paraphrasing what Apple has been telling folk, but never mind.  I'm still  surprised it fell so quickly though.

"I was just paraphrasing what Apple has been telling folk"

That's why I made the comment about Linux and Mac claims about security. Smiley

I'm not surprised it fell quickly. A couple of years ago, the Mac fell as quickly. The speed at which it fell doesn't really tell you much... if there's a known opening the length of the exploit is always going to be short. Very short. These guys didn't find the exploit in 11 seconds, they just utilized it to pwn the phone in under 11 seconds. *meh*

What's more important is how easy it was to find the exploits. This article didn't discuss that, but I'm willing to bet it was very easy. They exploited Safari, and there has been discussions about how easy it is to find exploits in Safari.

• User profile image
    sushovande

wkempf said:
    Ray7 said:
    *snip*

I'm not surprised it fell quickly. A couple of years ago, the Mac fell as quickly. The speed at which it fell doesn't really tell you much... if there's a known opening the length of the exploit is always going to be short. Very short. These guys didn't find the exploit in 11 seconds, they just utilized it to pwn the phone in under 11 seconds. *meh*

What's more important is how easy it was to find the exploits. This article didn't discuss that, but I'm willing to bet it was very easy. They exploited Safari, and there has been discussions about how easy it is to find exploits in Safari.

A couple of years ago, the Mac fell as quickly.

This year as well.

EDIT: link fixed

• User profile image
    elmer

wkempf said:
    Ray7 said:
    *snip*

What's more important is how easy it was to find the exploits.

Actually, I would have thought, what's more important is how quickly the exploits are plugged... and if Apple's past is anything to go by...

Of course, Win7 was broken via IE8 and FireFox, so it's not like MS can assume any Apple smugness.

"To hack IE 8, Vreugdenhil said he exploited two vulnerabilities in a four-part attack that involved bypassing ASLR (Address Space Layout Randomization) and evading DEP (Data Execution Prevention), which are designed to help stop attacks on the browser. As in the other attacks, the system was compromised when the browser visited a Web site hosting the attack code."

• User profile image
    Bass

AFIAK, Linux has yet to be hacked at one of these events. Smiley

• User profile image
    Charles

Bass said:

Probably because, relative to Windows and OS X usage, virtually nobody runs Linux on the client.... Where's the fun in hacking a non-used client OS, eh? Booooring.

C

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Bass said:

Obviously Firefox in Linux will have a bunch of vulnerabilities that Firefox on Windows does, that's a given. But Unix-esque OSes have a solid security model and a weakness in Firefox wouldn't give you a privilege escalation attack unless there was some vuln in X or something that could be exploited somehow.

• User profile image
    Bass

Charles said:
    Bass said:
    *snip*

Probably because, relative to Windows and OS X usage, virtually nobody runs Linux on the client.... Where's the fun in hacking a non-used client OS, eh? Booooring.

C

Or... it's just not as easy to exploit as Windows or OS X. Smiley

It's a shame the prize for hax0ring Linux seems to keep going unclaimed.

• User profile image
    Bass

W3bbo said:
    Bass said:
    *snip*

Obviously Firefox in Linux will have a bunch of vulnerabilities that Firefox on Windows does, that's a given. But Unix-esque OSes have a solid security model and a weakness in Firefox wouldn't give you a privilege escalation attack unless there was some vuln in X or something that could be exploited somehow.

A vuln in X or the Linux kernel (both run as root and accept user-mode requests) is probably all you need to get a privilege escalation on Ubuntu.

Fedora/RHEL would be quite harder since you have to break through SELinux. (Which is possible, but complicates matters.)

• User profile image
    kettch

Bass said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

A vuln in X or the Linux kernel (both run as root and accept user-mode requests) is probably all you need to get a privilege escalation on Ubuntu.

Fedora/RHEL would be quite harder since you have to break through SELinux. (Which is possible, but complicates matters.)

That's probably part of the problem. With Windows and OS X, there are only a relatively few versions that could be present on the average machine. With Linux, there are many possibilities, and you can't make any assumptions about a particular machine. Whatever vulnerabilities and tools you have might work fine on one machine, but not at all on the next.

• User profile image
    elmer

W3bbo said:
    Bass said:
    *snip*

Clearly, Unix-esque per-se is not invulnerable, as the success against OS/X would tend to indicate.

• User profile image
    elmer

Bass said:
    Charles said:
    *snip*

Or... it's just not as easy to exploit as Windows or OS X. Smiley

It's a shame the prize for hax0ring Linux seems to keep going unclaimed.

I think the the rules might also have something to do with Linux being avoided. I seem to recall that you can only choose to attack one platform, and with $10K up for grabs...

• User profile image
    ManipUni

W3bbo said:
    Bass said:
    *snip*

*NIX servers are getting broken into all the damn time. The *NIX and Windows (NT) security models are extremely similar (or at least the way they are used).

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.