Coffeehouse Thread

25 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Would the Segway have been more successful...

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Ray7

    ...if it looked a little bit more like a motorcycle and less like a vicar's pulpit?

     

    One designer seems to think so.

     

    Generic Forum Image

     

     

    Mmmm. Not sure.

     

    Generic Forum Image

     

  • User profile image
    Sven Groot

    That looks like you're riding a giant chicken on wheels. Perplexed

  • User profile image
    Dr Herbie

    Sven Groot said:

    That looks like you're riding a giant chicken on wheels. Perplexed

    It would have been more successful here if it was actually legal to use it  -- not road legal and legally questionable to use it on the pavement.

     

    Herbie

     

    EDIT: 'here' = UK :  Referencing UK road laws.

  • User profile image
    Ray7

    Sven Groot said:

    That looks like you're riding a giant chicken on wheels. Perplexed

    Fair comment.

     

    Does it look any better now?

     

    ... er no ... can't post that!

     

  • User profile image
    ManipUni

    Dr Herbie said:
    Sven Groot said:
    *snip*

    It would have been more successful here if it was actually legal to use it  -- not road legal and legally questionable to use it on the pavement.

     

    Herbie

     

    EDIT: 'here' = UK :  Referencing UK road laws.

    This.

     

    Plus, let's be honest, price was always a very negative point against the segway. They cost like £5K to buy(!). For that amount of money I could either buy myself a motorcycle with training, or a second hand car and insurance for a year.

     

    Why buy a Segway that can go like 10 MpH when I could buy a motorcycle that can go maybe 30-40 MpH?

  • User profile image
    Ray7

    ManipUni said:
    Dr Herbie said:
    *snip*

    This.

     

    Plus, let's be honest, price was always a very negative point against the segway. They cost like £5K to buy(!). For that amount of money I could either buy myself a motorcycle with training, or a second hand car and insurance for a year.

     

    Why buy a Segway that can go like 10 MpH when I could buy a motorcycle that can go maybe 30-40 MpH?

    Because they were better for your back?

     

    Nope, no idea.

     

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    ManipUni said:
    Dr Herbie said:
    *snip*

    This.

     

    Plus, let's be honest, price was always a very negative point against the segway. They cost like £5K to buy(!). For that amount of money I could either buy myself a motorcycle with training, or a second hand car and insurance for a year.

     

    Why buy a Segway that can go like 10 MpH when I could buy a motorcycle that can go maybe 30-40 MpH?

    Segways actually cost more like £2000, but there's only one official importer, and because the general public don't buy them they are free to rack up prices sky high.

  • User profile image
    ManipUni

    W3bbo said:
    ManipUni said:
    *snip*

    Segways actually cost more like £2000, but there's only one official importer, and because the general public don't buy them they are free to rack up prices sky high.

    I got the price off of the Segway UK web-site.

     

                  Total Retail Unit Price (Inc VAT)
    i2 (base model)         £4,795.00

     

    All prices Inc VAT and Delivery costs. The Segway comes with 12 months warranty.

  • User profile image
    Srikanth_t

    ManipUni said:
    Dr Herbie said:
    *snip*

    This.

     

    Plus, let's be honest, price was always a very negative point against the segway. They cost like £5K to buy(!). For that amount of money I could either buy myself a motorcycle with training, or a second hand car and insurance for a year.

     

    Why buy a Segway that can go like 10 MpH when I could buy a motorcycle that can go maybe 30-40 MpH?

    UK = Big Nanny + Big Brother.      ( Don't worry... we are getting there too).

  • User profile image
    rhm

    Srikanth_t said:
    ManipUni said:
    *snip*

    UK = Big Nanny + Big Brother.      ( Don't worry... we are getting there too).

    Getting there where?

     

    I hope you don't mean the good old USA - the country where you're only allowed to cross the road where you're told to.

  • User profile image
    ManipUni

    rhm said:
    Srikanth_t said:
    *snip*

    Getting there where?

     

    I hope you don't mean the good old USA - the country where you're only allowed to cross the road where you're told to.

    In the US they literally don't have sidewalks in most places and it is illegal to walk on the road so in the very literal sense it is illegal to NOT travel by car in a large part of the US.

  • User profile image
    Cream​Filling512

    ManipUni said:
    rhm said:
    *snip*

    In the US they literally don't have sidewalks in most places and it is illegal to walk on the road so in the very literal sense it is illegal to NOT travel by car in a large part of the US.

    We don't have any national laws for this, it depends on where you are.  I'm pretty sure anywhere you can use the shoulder if there's no sidewalk, remember US roads are much wider than in the UK.  There is no banning of pedestrians except on highways with dangerous speeds.  Sidewalks are pretty much always in urban areas but in more rural places and suburbs its hit-or-miss.  Might be on one side of the street but not the other, etc.  If people want more sidewalks they whine about it at their local townhall meeting or whatever.

  • User profile image
    ManipUni

    CreamFilling512 said:
    ManipUni said:
    *snip*

    We don't have any national laws for this, it depends on where you are.  I'm pretty sure anywhere you can use the shoulder if there's no sidewalk, remember US roads are much wider than in the UK.  There is no banning of pedestrians except on highways with dangerous speeds.  Sidewalks are pretty much always in urban areas but in more rural places and suburbs its hit-or-miss.  Might be on one side of the street but not the other, etc.  If people want more sidewalks they whine about it at their local townhall meeting or whatever.

    I've read about people getting tickets for walking on the roads when there was no sidewalk at all.

     

    When I'm in the US frankly I don't know how you guys don't feel trapped in your own homes. There is a freeway on one side and a busy road with no sidewalk on the other... So if the car breaks down and you cannot get a friend to give you a lift you might starve to deal or something. Plus the lack of buses...

  • User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

    ManipUni said:
    CreamFilling512 said:
    *snip*

    I've read about people getting tickets for walking on the roads when there was no sidewalk at all.

     

    When I'm in the US frankly I don't know how you guys don't feel trapped in your own homes. There is a freeway on one side and a busy road with no sidewalk on the other... So if the car breaks down and you cannot get a friend to give you a lift you might starve to deal or something. Plus the lack of buses...

    Yep.  Every house in the country is sandwiched between a busy, sidewalkless street and a freeway.  (Wait, C9 doesn't have a :rolleyes: smiley?)

     

    I hear you on the lack of buses thing, though (at least where I am right now).  I actually do have a bus that runs directly between my university and my apartment...  but it stops running at 6:00 pm and doesn't run again until about 7:00am the next morning.  If I ride the bus and stay later than 6, I'm stuck!

  • User profile image
    Srikanth_t

    rhm said:
    Srikanth_t said:
    *snip*

    Getting there where?

     

    I hope you don't mean the good old USA - the country where you're only allowed to cross the road where you're told to.

    Unfortunately or fortunately (depending on how you look at it), I am talking about good ole' US of A. Republicans gave us the big brother state with their "patriot" law and big daddy state with their foreign conquests. Dems are giving us even bigger brother who is directly going to transfer funds electronically for our own healthcare and a big Nanny state that is going to guarantee our homes and education.

     

    Having said that, I do have to admit though... these days I am feeling all warm and fuzzy inside as I get the feeling that I don't have to worry anymore about the future of my kids as the president of the world, Mr.Obama, is going to take care of them.

  • User profile image
    littleguru

    I think it is too expensive...

  • User profile image
    Ion Todirel

    littleguru said:

    I think it is too expensive...

    I'd get a Vespa instead Tongue Out

  • User profile image
    Cream​Filling512

    ManipUni said:
    CreamFilling512 said:
    *snip*

    I've read about people getting tickets for walking on the roads when there was no sidewalk at all.

     

    When I'm in the US frankly I don't know how you guys don't feel trapped in your own homes. There is a freeway on one side and a busy road with no sidewalk on the other... So if the car breaks down and you cannot get a friend to give you a lift you might starve to deal or something. Plus the lack of buses...

    You're making me think of a lot of suburbs, but generalizing stuff to the whole US is silly.  Everywhere I've been in the US I've seen different traffic laws, commute patterns, varying degrees of public transport, towns where every road has a bike lane, towns where the only thing is a gas station, places where people live 10 miles apart from each other, places where people live on top of each other, and everything in between.  You could mean the south, midwest,  west coast, east coast, big cities, suburbs, the tropical island paradise of Hawaii?

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.