Coffeehouse Thread

6 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Did anybody see this ?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Srikanth_t

E-Ink mode triggered by ambient light.

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

If it can display video, it's not e-ink Wink

This looks to be the same sort of technology as used in the OLPC's dual-mode TFT display:  it had a regular color screen and a high-resolution monochrome "e-ink"-like mode for use in direct sunlight.

• User profile image
    Srikanth_t

CannotResolveSymbol said:

This looks to be the same sort of technology as used in the OLPC's dual-mode TFT display:  it had a regular color screen and a high-resolution monochrome "e-ink"-like mode for use in direct sunlight.

Well, Yes. This is not really "e-ink" but instead a monochromatic display.  Ambient light trigger seems cool.

I like their design on swivel camera (shown in the 2nd video). It's got HDMI out too.

• User profile image
    wkempf

I believe this is Pixel QI, which is from the same folks that did OLPC. Not bad tech, as it gives decent viewing in any lighting condition and pretty darn good batter life. However, mirasol looks far more promising. There's several Pixel Qi devices being shipped shortly, while I'm not aware of any mirasol devices, however.

• User profile image
    Srikanth_t

wkempf said:
    *snip*

I believe this is Pixel QI, which is from the same folks that did OLPC. Not bad tech, as it gives decent viewing in any lighting condition and pretty darn good batter life. However, mirasol looks far more promising. There's several Pixel Qi devices being shipped shortly, while I'm not aware of any mirasol devices, however.

Wow.. I just checked out Mirasol display tech. Awesome. Just Awesome.  I like the fact that it is full color and the form factor man. That is the perfect form factor.

The thing with Notion Ink's Adam though is, they got a full fledged OS on their Tablet. Plus HDMI output and the Swivel camera. I would say a good competition for iPad.

• User profile image
    wkempf

Srikanth_t said:
    wkempf said:
    *snip*

Wow.. I just checked out Mirasol display tech. Awesome. Just Awesome.  I like the fact that it is full color and the form factor man. That is the perfect form factor.

The thing with Notion Ink's Adam though is, they got a full fledged OS on their Tablet. Plus HDMI output and the Swivel camera. I would say a good competition for iPad.

There's several Android based systems using Pixel Qi displays, though I agree that the Notion Ink system is interesting. Not sure I care for the touch pad on the back of the device, though it's an interesting idea. Mobile devices are certainly looking better and better, though.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.