Coffeehouse Thread

6 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

ICE from MSR

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    JoshRoss

This looks really slick.  Does anyone have a bunch of photos, of something, that they want to process and share?

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

I have several Panoramas I made using ICE, on my Gallery. The smaller ones can be found under [Gallery Root]\Panoramas.  The larger ones have their own root node under [Deep Zoom].

• User profile image
    JoshRoss

SlackmasterK said:

I have several Panoramas I made using ICE, on my Gallery. The smaller ones can be found under [Gallery Root]\Panoramas.  The larger ones have their own root node under [Deep Zoom].

Nice work! You really have some monster panoramas on your site. The deep zoom viewer handles those very well. How many shots did it take to assemble something like Garden of the Gods? Was there a lot of post production work required for ICE to do its thing?

• User profile image
    androidi

Hey. Is there existing non-research tool that allows to say select a batch of grainy/noisy/shaky/poorly lit shots that aren't perfectly centered on same spot (eg. hand held continous shooting in very poor conditions) and turn those into one better shot? I have a technique called "lazy imaging" to take such shots and they need some processing. Smiley

I assume Photoshop has something but I'm looking for alternatives, ideally I could just select the shots from Explorer and click a menu item to have them processed without loading up any full blown application first and wade through menus to find this option.

If this ICE tool does that then great but I got the impression from a recent video that this type of feature is not yet available on the downloadable version.

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

JoshRoss said:
    SlackmasterK said:
    *snip*

Nice work! You really have some monster panoramas on your site. The deep zoom viewer handles those very well. How many shots did it take to assemble something like Garden of the Gods? Was there a lot of post production work required for ICE to do its thing?

They range from 50 to 150 or so at 12.1 Megapixels each. Unfortunately, ICE got kinda wonky toward the edges and I had to crop out a tiny 350-Megapixel chunk of the biggest one.  Must be the wildly divergent exposures at sunrise/sunset. Which is wierd because when I take these panoramas, I keep my exposure, ISO, F-Stop, and focus all locked in the same place for the duration... but I digress...

Need to add more overlap, which of course will mean even more shots. I pretty much just got sick of running out of memory when the gallery (which I wrote in C#) generated thumbnails for 1.5GB TIFs. Found some possible ways to fix that, but not without going to a 3rd-party DLL, which of course eliminates the whole "This whole thing is mine" feeling...  Using Deep Zoom feels "less evil" because Microsoft is my platform and thus not a 3rd party... Why an 8GB machine can load a 1.5GB TIF but can't thumbnail it I dunno... Especially when it works fine in Paint.NET... but I digress... Anyhow that's what led me to use Deep Zoom.

Most people do post-processing to make things look nicer and more professional. I'm too lazy, so nothing done here but the ICEing.   I think the dynamic detection and displaying of a Deep Zoom folder is one of my favorite features, but I'm sure I could do it better (i.e. without a *cough*IFRAME*cough* in my UpdatePanel... but I digress...

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

androidi said:

Hey. Is there existing non-research tool that allows to say select a batch of grainy/noisy/shaky/poorly lit shots that aren't perfectly centered on same spot (eg. hand held continous shooting in very poor conditions) and turn those into one better shot? I have a technique called "lazy imaging" to take such shots and they need some processing. Smiley

I assume Photoshop has something but I'm looking for alternatives, ideally I could just select the shots from Explorer and click a menu item to have them processed without loading up any full blown application first and wade through menus to find this option.

If this ICE tool does that then great but I got the impression from a recent video that this type of feature is not yet available on the downloadable version.

It may do some of that, but only incidentally. ICE is a panorama maker.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.