Coffeehouse Thread

4 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

The Soul of Microsoft

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Minh

I just found this podcast "The Soul of Microsoft" (from CNet) (there's a video version, too) where a panel is trying to figure out who Microsoft is.

On the panel is our old friend Robert Scoble and another ex-Softy (now a Googly) Don Dodge.

On the agenda: What was it like to work there? OS relavence, MS innovation? etc...

It's a good listen if you got a spare 40 mins... maybe at the gym?

• User profile image
    Charles

Thanks for the link. Hadn't heard about this. I do think the panel is somewhat odd. I mean, Don Dodge was a short term employee (and certainly one of the most overrated ex MSFTers ever.....). Scoble is appropriate for the panel (he was a co-founder of 9 and put blogging on the map at MS..). Ina is as well (she mainly covers MSFT full time...).

Still a strange collection of folks to discuss the soul of the Happy Death Star.

Will give it a listen. Who knows. Maybe it will be compelling..

C

• User profile image
    jamie

BUMP!

wow... well if you didnt listen to this yet - its worth the 40 minutes ... mainly just to hear scoble and re-live the early C9 days...

Although no one said anything real bad about MS ... (quite a few compliments actually) the whole thing had a sort of sad overtone... and Im not so sure any of the speakers addressed the "soul" of microsoft. (especially Don Dodge - corporate peon/moron)

There is lots of complaints about windows getting long in the tooth .. and how everything should run in the browser.. and how MS wants to make old software work for 20 years.. which i think is an AMAZING attribute..

as for the Browser world... will I ever really run coreldraw or photoshop or frontpage or premier etc in a browser?  what if internet is down?  * oh - it will still work... well then whats the bleedin' difference?

They also go on about - the lawsuit changing the company - committees .. afraid .. everything based on revenue... - this - i do agree (somewhat) with  (too many lawyers and sales guys running things)

But if we are really talking the "soul" of MS ... where was the talk about when MS was the "google" of software...

Oh zip? its built in now. Doublespace/stacker? built in.  this - that - now built in.  This is the MS that is missing in action (DOJ) Sad

Also - customization ... real - customization ... has been taken away and "business cased to death"

Scoble makes points about xbox and windows phone being better because they have nothing to do with windows..  umm i dont own those... why? because i dont want CLOSED APPLE LIKE ECOSYSTEMS - which sadly it seems the bean counters at ms - are quickly moving towords.  (edit - Tory has my iphone now (pos!) - excellent design - BAD lockin / and win eXPerience)

Let's face it.. I am a dinosaur customer..  I LIKED the old MS... I didnt think it was EVER EVIL...  it was always doing stuff - adding stuff for free - to make things easier for ME.  Not so any more.  Everything is going more like Crapple...  Closed stupid stuff - not one big thing that incorporates everything into it  ( hey I LIKED THE BORG aspect of MS)

So ... not to rant too long...   check out the "pod"cast

but hopefully - if youve ever configured scsi jumper pins or tried to get wfw 3.1 networking to work ... youll remember why one big ball of evoling code CAN be your friend (netware?die die die) 

In closing - here's my top 5 of things to think about  for ms

- do not be an Apple wanna be or a google wanna be - be what you USED to be - the FIRST google

- offer MORE customization than even LINUX - but do it in your user freindly - well designed way

- STOP trying to nickel/dime/revenue your customers to death (miropayments - just say no)

- Fix outlook - it IS a pig (like they say in cast)

- and... If it is impossible - to do above - due to gov restrictions - look to create your OWN competitor - a skunk works team with no commitees or sales guys - just engineers and designers (not the fish company designers though)

the end 

MS rocks.

• User profile image
    jamie

jamie said:

BUMP!

wow... well if you didnt listen to this yet - its worth the 40 minutes ... mainly just to hear scoble and re-live the early C9 days...

Although no one said anything real bad about MS ... (quite a few compliments actually) the whole thing had a sort of sad overtone... and Im not so sure any of the speakers addressed the "soul" of microsoft. (especially Don Dodge - corporate peon/moron)

There is lots of complaints about windows getting long in the tooth .. and how everything should run in the browser.. and how MS wants to make old software work for 20 years.. which i think is an AMAZING attribute..

as for the Browser world... will I ever really run coreldraw or photoshop or frontpage or premier etc in a browser?  what if internet is down?  * oh - it will still work... well then whats the bleedin' difference?

They also go on about - the lawsuit changing the company - committees .. afraid .. everything based on revenue... - this - i do agree (somewhat) with  (too many lawyers and sales guys running things)

But if we are really talking the "soul" of MS ... where was the talk about when MS was the "google" of software...

Oh zip? its built in now. Doublespace/stacker? built in.  this - that - now built in.  This is the MS that is missing in action (DOJ) Sad

Also - customization ... real - customization ... has been taken away and "business cased to death"

Scoble makes points about xbox and windows phone being better because they have nothing to do with windows..  umm i dont own those... why? because i dont want CLOSED APPLE LIKE ECOSYSTEMS - which sadly it seems the bean counters at ms - are quickly moving towords.  (edit - Tory has my iphone now (pos!) - excellent design - BAD lockin / and win eXPerience)

Let's face it.. I am a dinosaur customer..  I LIKED the old MS... I didnt think it was EVER EVIL...  it was always doing stuff - adding stuff for free - to make things easier for ME.  Not so any more.  Everything is going more like Crapple...  Closed stupid stuff - not one big thing that incorporates everything into it  ( hey I LIKED THE BORG aspect of MS)

So ... not to rant too long...   check out the "pod"cast

but hopefully - if youve ever configured scsi jumper pins or tried to get wfw 3.1 networking to work ... youll remember why one big ball of evoling code CAN be your friend (netware?die die die) 

In closing - here's my top 5 of things to think about  for ms

- do not be an Apple wanna be or a google wanna be - be what you USED to be - the FIRST google

- offer MORE customization than even LINUX - but do it in your user freindly - well designed way

- STOP trying to nickel/dime/revenue your customers to death (miropayments - just say no)

- Fix outlook - it IS a pig (like they say in cast)

- and... If it is impossible - to do above - due to gov restrictions - look to create your OWN competitor - a skunk works team with no commitees or sales guys - just engineers and designers (not the fish company designers though)

the end 

MS rocks.

boy i can hardly wait for the corel browser version - it looks amazing!!! Tongue Out

Generic Forum Image

ps - if you play quakelive - im now "The Green 3astard"  (bubbles/trailor park boys)  Wink

edit:  sammy hagar may be good - but sorry ... where is david lee roth

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.