Coffeehouse Thread

79 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

The price of petrol in the UK is too high

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Ian2

I got this email from my accountant this morning, see what you think:

The price of oil is as low as it has been for a while, But the oil companies have simply jacked their prices up and the government will not do anything as they rake in extra VAT for every increase.

See what you think and pass it on if you agree with it

We are hitting 120 a litre in some areas now, soon we will be faced with paying 1.50 a litre. Philip Hollsworth offered this good idea:

This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the 'don't buy petrol on a certain day campaign that was going around last April or May! The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to hurt ourselves by refusing to buy petrol. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them. BUT, whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can really work.

Please read it and join in!
    Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a litre is CHEAP, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the market place not sellers. With the price of petrol going up more each day, we consumers need to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of petrol come down is if we hit someone in the pocket by not purchasing their Petrol! And we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves. Here's the idea:

For the rest of this year DON'T PURCHASE ANY petrol FROM the two biggest oil companies (which now are one), ESSO and BP.

If they are not selling any petrol, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have
    to follow suit. But to have an impact we need to reach literally millions of Esso and BP petrol buyers. It's really simple to do!!

Now, don't wimp out and please pass this message on.

PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE 90p a LITRE RANGE 

It's easy to make this happen. Just forward this email, and BUY your petrol at Shell, Asda, Tesco, Sainsburys, Morrisons, Jet, etc. 

BOYCOTT ESSO and BP!

• User profile image
    Pace

Doesnt work. 

Only blockades work like they did last time. (exception Emergency Services)

I do wish the country would stand up though because its completely ridiculous now. Enough is enough. There is no adequate justification for the price and its even higher than last time. 

Come on truckers, save us again... Please! 

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

use public transportation (!)

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

Ion Todirel said:

use public transportation (!)

++.

Also, it's not the petrol forecourts that make the money for Esso and BP, it's the oil exploration and extraction parts of those companies.  The petrol stations are a separate company under the holdings of the main company.  Competition law comes into effect and dictates that the oil extraction arm of the company is not allowed to give a special price to it's forecourt arm, so that makes the mechanics of the market tricky.

You may find that the petrol you buy from the alternative forecourts, comes from Esso or BP anyway.  For this strategy to work, you'd need a white-list of forecourts that do not get supplied from Esso or BP.

Herbie

• User profile image
    vesuvius

Dr Herbie said:
    Ion Todirel said:
    *snip*

++.

Also, it's not the petrol forecourts that make the money for Esso and BP, it's the oil exploration and extraction parts of those companies.  The petrol stations are a separate company under the holdings of the main company.  Competition law comes into effect and dictates that the oil extraction arm of the company is not allowed to give a special price to it's forecourt arm, so that makes the mechanics of the market tricky.

You may find that the petrol you buy from the alternative forecourts, comes from Esso or BP anyway.  For this strategy to work, you'd need a white-list of forecourts that do not get supplied from Esso or BP.

Herbie

It depends where you live because public transport is very expensive as well now. In my old house what it cost me to get into town in a taxi several years ago is slightly less than what it costs on the bus today.

I get a train from Manchester to Sheffield daily, and that is more expensive than driving (bar parking), so if you don't work in a city centre, you'll find that a car is cheaper, especially if you pick up a person or two from work.

What you describe is like a cartel Dr Herbie. Look at the pcworld/currys/dixon websites. Being a developer I can see that they are the same website underneath, and it annoys me when I go to a business park and you see pc world/currys/comet etc all next to each other - as if there is choice. I am sure you are all familiar with the story, Little red riding hood, we are all supplying the big bad wolf with a hearty dinner daily.

Choice is just an illusion nowadays. If you go into Tesco and get their brand orange juice right next to tropicana, you'll find that they are coming from the same supplier.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

vesuvius said:
    Dr Herbie said:
    *snip*

It depends where you live because public transport is very expensive as well now. In my old house what it cost me to get into town in a taxi several years ago is slightly less than what it costs on the bus today.

I get a train from Manchester to Sheffield daily, and that is more expensive than driving (bar parking), so if you don't work in a city centre, you'll find that a car is cheaper, especially if you pick up a person or two from work.

What you describe is like a cartel Dr Herbie. Look at the pcworld/currys/dixon websites. Being a developer I can see that they are the same website underneath, and it annoys me when I go to a business park and you see pc world/currys/comet etc all next to each other - as if there is choice. I am sure you are all familiar with the story, Little red riding hood, we are all supplying the big bad wolf with a hearty dinner daily.

Choice is just an illusion nowadays. If you go into Tesco and get their brand orange juice right next to tropicana, you'll find that they are coming from the same supplier.

Well, I can definitiely taste the difference between Sainsbury's OJ and Tropicana.

• User profile image
    figuerres

the world - all the countries need to make it a priority to find new ways to power stuff...

Oil is limited and will run out.

in the end the price will go higher and higher if we keep dpending on it.

i know that right now we do not yet have a replacement for oil en-mass but we have to keep pushing before things get worse.

thats my $0.02 as we say here in the US.

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

I got this email from my accountant this morning, see what you think:

I think you can afford the petrol prices.

• User profile image
    spivonious

People tried that here too. I guess they don't realize that the companies all get their crude oil from the same place, plus you have the convenience store gas pumps that use whichever gas they can get the cheapest, and don't publicize their decision.

The real solution is to use less gas. That means walking/biking/taking the bus/train instead of driving your car. Sure it's not as convenient, and it may cost a bit more, but it's the only thing that will actually affect gas prices. I just wish my local bus system was better organized. A 15 minute drive to work would take 2.5 hours and 3 transfers if I took the bus.

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

spivonious said:

People tried that here too. I guess they don't realize that the companies all get their crude oil from the same place, plus you have the convenience store gas pumps that use whichever gas they can get the cheapest, and don't publicize their decision.

The real solution is to use less gas. That means walking/biking/taking the bus/train instead of driving your car. Sure it's not as convenient, and it may cost a bit more, but it's the only thing that will actually affect gas prices. I just wish my local bus system was better organized. A 15 minute drive to work would take 2.5 hours and 3 transfers if I took the bus.

I'm in the same boat for my commute -- because obviously no-one wants to use the train between 5pm and 7pm  Perplexed

On the other hand, when we want to go shopping into town at the weekend, we use bus or train (we're lucky enough to have a small train station in our village).  I didn't learn to drive until I was 30 because I didn't need to drive.  However, once you learn to drive, you easily fall into the trap where you end up needing to go to places where you can only get to by car; before you could drive you just wouldn't have considered going to there in the first place.

Herbie

• User profile image
    ManipUni

I use buses. It is MUCH cheaper than owning a car. The cost is fair with their frequent traveller tickets (e.g. Yearly tickets - £1.7/day).

I think trains are INSANELY expensive. National Express to London - £5. Cheapest train (off peak) - £50. But unless I'm mistaken trains have more passengers and should be cheaper to run... It boggles the mind. I really enjoy travelling by train but won't be in the immediate future. So much for privatisation I guess...

edit: I am even on the electric part of the train line (as opposed to Diesel).

PS - The OP/E-Mail's plan is moronic. All of them get their oil from exactly the same place. Even if the named companies shut down all of their gas stations in the UK it wouldn't do a damn thing to their oil business and might drive prices up in the long term (E.g. less competition).

• User profile image
    dahat

I think you need a new accountant... ideally one who understands fungible commodities.

• User profile image
    Harlequin

dahat said:

I think you need a new accountant... ideally one who understands fungible commodities.

"fungible commodities"

Mushrooms?

• User profile image
    Maddus Mattus

Petrol costs 0,16 eurocents per liter

Then you get 0,80 cents of excise tax

Then you get 19% of tax on top of that.

So it costs 1,20 a litre. And you are angry at the oil companies?

/ponder

Anyway, I dont really care, because I use a company fuel card to fuel my diesel. Oh they pay for the tires aswell. So it's flat out for me all the way.

• User profile image
    Maddus Mattus

Maddus Mattus said:

Petrol costs 0,16 eurocents per liter

Then you get 0,80 cents of excise tax

Then you get 19% of tax on top of that.

So it costs 1,20 a litre. And you are angry at the oil companies?

/ponder

Anyway, I dont really care, because I use a company fuel card to fuel my diesel. Oh they pay for the tires aswell. So it's flat out for me all the way.

Oh and BTW, Esso and BP are one of the smallest oil companies in the world.

BP comes in the 19th place

check : http://www.petrostrategies.org/Links/Worlds_Largest_Oil_and_Gas_Companies_Sites.htm

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Maddus Mattus said:
    Maddus Mattus said:
    *snip*

Oh and BTW, Esso and BP are one of the smallest oil companies in the world.

BP comes in the 19th place

check : http://www.petrostrategies.org/Links/Worlds_Largest_Oil_and_Gas_Companies_Sites.htm

That's the size of the company in terms of reserve supplies, not financial muscle or market dominance.

• User profile image
    elmer

figuerres said:

the world - all the countries need to make it a priority to find new ways to power stuff...

in the end the price will go higher and higher if we keep dpending on it.

i know that right now we do not yet have a replacement for oil en-mass but we have to keep pushing before things get worse.

thats my $0.02 as we say here in the US.

Yes, the world is running out of oil, and it will become impossible to afford long before that, as the demand from China and India surges, while production falls.

However, the issue is far more stark and confronting than just one of transport fuel price and availability.

Our modern world is totally dependant on oil... pharmaceuticals, pesticides, fertilizers, plastics, electronics, manufacturing... there is almost nothing that is not dependant on petro-chemicals.

And yet, what are we doing with this dwindling precious resource ?

Yep, that’s right... Burning it!

We are so stupid, we really don’t deserve to survive.

• User profile image
    Cream​Filling512

Not really dependent on oil though, dependent on maintaining efficiency and growth, and electricity and automation, and various types of energy.  We're dependent on the sun.  We're only dependent on oil in the sense that its so much cheaper than everything else.  So we depend on it for efficiency, but it's not as hard a dependency as people make it out to be.  There are substitutes.

In other words, we're not choosing to be dependent on oil because its oil, we're just choosing to grow in the most efficient means.  If don't have cheap energy today, we'll never grow to the point where we can develop something better.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.