Coffeehouse Thread

5 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Cursor colors

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    W3bbo

I thought I'd tell everyone that I've been using the "Windows Black (System Scheme)" as my cursor for the past 4 or 5 years now, and there's no way I'm going back to the anaemic white standard cursor. Even on Vista/7 I switch it to the black cursor (shame it doesn't have Vista's stylings).

I like the contrast that a black cursor has against most Windows applications which are bright and light, it also feels more "solid" when I use it, the white cursor just 'feel's flimsy, even though it's just a bunch of pixels on-screen.

What's your cursor story?

I also propose a challenge: switch to the black cursor for a week and see how you feel about it afterwards.

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

I usually use black cursors--  it's easier to see against the typical white or grey website/application background.

I apparently haven't gotten around to setting it on my Windows 7 machine, though (just thought of it just now).  On Vista/7, I try to fit it in with the system, though:  I prefer this cursor theme (the Aero Black, no shadow version) over the standard black cursor (avoid the flashbacks to Windows 95 Wink).

• User profile image
    W3bbo

CannotResolveSymbol said:

I usually use black cursors--  it's easier to see against the typical white or grey website/application background.

I apparently haven't gotten around to setting it on my Windows 7 machine, though (just thought of it just now).  On Vista/7, I try to fit it in with the system, though:  I prefer this cursor theme (the Aero Black, no shadow version) over the standard black cursor (avoid the flashbacks to Windows 95 Wink).

Thanks for the link.

Is the cursor part of the 32-bit cursor image, or is it the shadow that Windows can add? I have the shadow enabled, it gives the cursor a larger size and makes it easier to find on my large desktop.

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

W3bbo said:
    *snip*

Thanks for the link.

Is the cursor part of the 32-bit cursor image, or is it the shadow that Windows can add? I have the shadow enabled, it gives the cursor a larger size and makes it easier to find on my large desktop.

Vista and higher will add the shadow; the versions with shadow are there for Windows XP users (it won't render shadows for alpha-blended cursors).

I have no idea what would happen if you used the version with shadow on Vista or 7...  probably would get a double shadow.

• User profile image
    Harlequin

W3bbo said:
    *snip*

Vista and higher will add the shadow; the versions with shadow are there for Windows XP users (it won't render shadows for alpha-blended cursors).

I have no idea what would happen if you used the version with shadow on Vista or 7...  probably would get a double shadow.

W3bbo only started this thread because someone saw him using a sparkling unicorn as his pointer. =)

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.