Coffeehouse Thread

35 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Microsoft: Google Chrome doesn't respect your privac

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Dovella

Microsoft is going on the offensive against Google, accusing the search giant of creating a browser that does not respect user privacy. The company posted a video, embedded below, on TechNet Edge with the following description: "Watch a demo on how Google Chrome collects every keystroke you make and............... Continue  Arstechnica

Google+Privacy = Problem ?

• User profile image
    turrican

Google is becoming very annoying frankly, it is also hard to tell users about such things which is sad.

For example in Google Wave, when you add someone to a Wave, even accidentally, you can NOT remove that person! It also shows and records every keystroke which can be played back.

I was never anti-anything really, neither MS or Google, but I have become very very concerned in the recent year or two about Google and frankly, I think Google is playing with fire. At some point they will get burnt really bad.

Remember the "Buzz" crap they pulled? That is probably the tip of the ice berg.

It is sad that people always need good cop bad cop, like they see MS as evil and Google as good, eventhough BOTH are big corporations with only one goal : EARN MONEY.

If only people would understand that. They surrender their privacy way too easy imho.

• User profile image
    jmzl666

I went to Technet to verify that it was a Microsoftie who said that, the chrome article appears in the search page but the page itself is down. If Pete LePage indeed released the video Microsft should put him in the penalty box.

Juan Zamudio

• User profile image
    jmzl666

turrican said:

Google is becoming very annoying frankly, it is also hard to tell users about such things which is sad.

For example in Google Wave, when you add someone to a Wave, even accidentally, you can NOT remove that person! It also shows and records every keystroke which can be played back.

I was never anti-anything really, neither MS or Google, but I have become very very concerned in the recent year or two about Google and frankly, I think Google is playing with fire. At some point they will get burnt really bad.

Remember the "Buzz" crap they pulled? That is probably the tip of the ice berg.

It is sad that people always need good cop bad cop, like they see MS as evil and Google as good, eventhough BOTH are big corporations with only one goal : EARN MONEY.

If only people would understand that. They surrender their privacy way too easy imho.

It's not a privacy issue, i guess you didnt read the article. IE8 does the same thing, how do you think the suggested options in the search box appears in Firefox, Chrome, Opera and IE8? magic?, the browser has to send data to the default search engine to get the suggested options.

I stoped using some Google products (Wave, Gmail) because of the privacy problems they are having, but this is not one of them.

Juan Zamudio

• User profile image
    Minh

jmzl666 said:

I went to Technet to verify that it was a Microsoftie who said that, the chrome article appears in the search page but the page itself is down. If Pete LePage indeed released the video Microsft should put him in the penalty box.

Juan Zamudio

HAHA! MS got caught lying

• User profile image
    turrican

jmzl666 said:
    turrican said:
    *snip*

It's not a privacy issue, i guess you didnt read the article. IE8 does the same thing, how do you think the suggested options in the search box appears in Firefox, Chrome, Opera and IE8? magic?, the browser has to send data to the default search engine to get the suggested options.

I stoped using some Google products (Wave, Gmail) because of the privacy problems they are having, but this is not one of them.

Juan Zamudio

I did read the article and you are correct.

However, since my point still stands and I thought it was kind'a relevant that's why I put it here about the privacy issue.

I have tried very hard to not use Google search, but I can't. I need to re-test Bing. I have connected my domains to Google apps but I'm just waiting for office 2010 and maybe hopefully Microsoft can come up with something similar and I'll move in a heart beat.

My biggest issue is why "people" don't get this and many think Wave is the greatest thing since sliced bread. :/

• User profile image
    magicalclick

turrican said:
    jmzl666 said:
    *snip*

I did read the article and you are correct.

However, since my point still stands and I thought it was kind'a relevant that's why I put it here about the privacy issue.

I have tried very hard to not use Google search, but I can't. I need to re-test Bing. I have connected my domains to Google apps but I'm just waiting for office 2010 and maybe hopefully Microsoft can come up with something similar and I'll move in a heart beat.

My biggest issue is why "people" don't get this and many think Wave is the greatest thing since sliced bread. :/

Privacy is not an issue until a big class law suit that you can see it on TV news. Until then, people are igorant.

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    turrican

magicalclick said:
    turrican said:
    *snip*

Privacy is not an issue until a big class law suit that you can see it on TV news. Until then, people are igorant.

True, sadly.

• User profile image
    Cream​Filling512

Their goal is to have every click, key you press, and page load touch software on their servers at some point.  In order to drive targeted ads.

• User profile image
    turrican

CreamFilling512 said:

Their goal is to have every click, key you press, and page load touch software on their servers at some point.  In order to drive targeted ads.

All this effort only to sell crap to people. I find it so very disgusting.

Where is my flying car? Where is my vacation home on the moon or mars? Where are the robots?

Human race is fiddling in its own dirt and is stuck in it seems.

So little effort to do good for our race, so much effort to do wars and weird crap.

YES, totally off topic.

Tongue Out

• User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

Minh said:
    jmzl666 said:
    *snip*

HAHA! MS got caught lying

He's not lying, the question is whether what he's saying is relevant.

What he's saying is that the problem with having a single box for searches and for URLs, is that all the URLs you enter --- all the web sites you visit -- go to the search provider. If you have separate boxes, it only sends the searches you do.

• User profile image
    Minh

brian.shapiro said:
    Minh said:
    *snip*

He's not lying, the question is whether what he's saying is relevant.

What he's saying is that the problem with having a single box for searches and for URLs, is that all the URLs you enter --- all the web sites you visit -- go to the search provider. If you have separate boxes, it only sends the searches you do.

you can lie not just by what you say but what you leave out. Here's what he's saying:

1) Google send back each url character

2) MS doesn't

Implication, Google spies on you

Also...

1) IE has In-Private mode

Implication, Google doesn't

MS does the exact same thing wrt search queries... and Google also have Incognito mode...

So... Is it a big deal that people type into the address bar to do searches... as oppose to typing out the URL...

What possible use would Google have with your URLs? In this day and age where people type in "Facebook login" into Google to go to the FB login page?

So, the by-character Fiddler demo is for people who don't know how the web browser work?

I'm not saying Google doesn't have privacy concerns... but... that guy...

At best, that guy was dishonest... at worst, he's straight-up lying.

Maybe MS should trying to regain browser marketshare no by lying (or getting rid of the IE team)... but trying to build a better product?

ps it looks like the video is hosted by C9.... I'll be sure to have some fun if this bs video ever makes it onto c9... although devs don't seem like the intended audience

• User profile image
    Charles

Minh said:
    brian.shapiro said:
    *snip*

you can lie not just by what you say but what you leave out. Here's what he's saying:

2) MS doesn't

Also...

MS does the exact same thing wrt search queries... and Google also have Incognito mode...

So... Is it a big deal that people type into the address bar to do searches... as oppose to typing out the URL...

What possible use would Google have with your URLs? In this day and age where people type in "Facebook login" into Google to go to the FB login page?

So, the by-character Fiddler demo is for people who don't know how the web browser work?

Maybe MS should trying to regain browser marketshare no by lying (or getting rid of the IE team)... but trying to build a better product?

ps it looks like the video is hosted by C9.... I'll be sure to have some fun if this bs video ever makes it onto c9... although devs don't seem like the intended audience

In Pete's defense, the privacy issue surrounding text character tracking when typing a URL into the address box is centered on the potential breach of privacy inherent in tracking users' typed-in URLs, rather than that of using typed-in characters to asynchronously grab  strings from an external database and bind them to a dynamic drop down menu...

I'm not arguing for or against this video, so let's not debate that. Just making a point regarding the specific argument's implementation details.

C

• User profile image
    Minh

Charles said:
    Minh said:
    *snip*

In Pete's defense, the privacy issue surrounding text character tracking when typing a URL into the address box is centered on the potential breach of privacy inherent in tracking users' typed-in URLs, rather than that of using typed-in characters to asynchronously grab  strings from an external database and bind them to a dynamic drop down menu...

I'm not arguing for or against this video, so let's not debate that. Just making a point regarding the specific argument's implementation details.

C

To say that IE8 is better than Chrome in terms of privacy because Chrome sends back url characters is to cloudy the real conversation. Ignoring all the things both browsers have in common, misrepresenting Chrome in such transparent ways, especially to a dev community. It has all the markings of a bad marketing video.

• User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

Minh said:
    brian.shapiro said:
    *snip*

2) MS doesn't

Also...

Yea I'm not saying I think it matters that Google's computers are picking up your URLs, but I don't know what the implication is supposed to be.. whether they're saying Google spies on you what, some people are just concerned about issues like that. There's probably a design decision somewhere behind why Microsoft doesn't want to mix the search and address box.

• User profile image
    Minh

brian.shapiro said:
    Minh said:
    *snip*

Yea I'm not saying I think it matters that Google's computers are picking up your URLs, but I don't know what the implication is supposed to be.. whether they're saying Google spies on you what, some people are just concerned about issues like that. There's probably a design decision somewhere behind why Microsoft doesn't want to mix the search and address box.

Yeah, this is why I don't think that video is intended for C9, even though, it is hosted by C9.

That guy is implying that IE doesn't send back each keystroke and that only IE has InPrivate mode. Both are easily proven false.

• User profile image
    Charles

Minh said:
    Charles said:
    *snip*

To say that IE8 is better than Chrome in terms of privacy because Chrome sends back url characters is to cloudy the real conversation. Ignoring all the things both browsers have in common, misrepresenting Chrome in such transparent ways, especially to a dev community. It has all the markings of a bad marketing video.

Again, I wasn't debating that aspect of the argument as that is for the viewer to decide.
    C

• User profile image
    Minh

Charles said:
    Minh said:
    *snip*

Again, I wasn't debating that aspect of the argument as that is for the viewer to decide.
    C

Isn't that what FOX News say?

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.