Coffeehouse Thread

98 posts

Nicely done, Channel 9 (posted by Dr Herbie).

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Maddus Mattus

giovanni said:
    contextfree said:
    *snip*

If I have ever been exposed to it, my memory definitely removed it very well.

Thanks for the link, very instructive!

Edit: That was brilliant Charles

It broke the CoffeeHouse for me Smiley

I can only navigate to the last three threads via the menu on the right side Wink

• User profile image
    vesuvius

Maddus Mattus said:
    giovanni said:
    *snip*

It broke the CoffeeHouse for me Smiley

I can only navigate to the last three threads via the menu on the right side Wink

Works on my machine Big Smile

• User profile image
    Maddus Mattus

vesuvius said:
    Maddus Mattus said:
    *snip*

Works on my machine Big Smile

Thanks!

Where is that machine located?

I'll come over and post from there Smiley

• User profile image
    Ian2

I tried 'April Fool' then gave up (ended up coming in via the forums link which was left open?)

• User profile image
    Bass

There should be something like that everyday.

• User profile image
    davewill

Erik just wanted us to watch his C9 lecture series again.

Nice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_numerals

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Sven Groot said:

I don't know how to solve those formulas... Smiley

I got it, but only by coincidence: I had a series of classes on lambda calculus last week and I recognised the Church encoding of the natural numbers as lambda functions (as contextfree said). Simply count the level of recursion to get the number, in this case it was 9-deep, so it represents '9'.

I recognised the other question as product notation. Going by the frequent use of '3' and how 3*3 == 9 I figured the answer was the same.

Note that I actually advocate implementing something similar to this as an actual captcha in future. Keep it just as difficult, I like the idea of there being a forum with just me on it Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Bass

W3bbo said:
    Sven Groot said:
    *snip*

I got it, but only by coincidence: I had a series of classes on lambda calculus last week and I recognised the Church encoding of the natural numbers as lambda functions (as contextfree said). Simply count the level of recursion to get the number, in this case it was 9-deep, so it represents '9'.

I recognised the other question as product notation. Going by the frequent use of '3' and how 3*3 == 9 I figured the answer was the same.

Note that I actually advocate implementing something similar to this as an actual captcha in future. Keep it just as difficult, I like the idea of there being a forum with just me on it Tongue Out

The next captcha should be "Within the context of computational complexity theory, prove or disprove P=NP."

• User profile image
    RLO

Bass said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

The next captcha should be "Within the context of computational complexity theory, prove or disprove P=NP."

Or you could bypass the filter and go directly into the topic via bing and find out the answer.   Smiley

• User profile image
    iStation

Bravo, Charles!

Smiley

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

W3bbo said:
    Sven Groot said:
    *snip*

Yeah, I can't reach any of the forum pages due to this...

The prompt comes up, then IE complains that it cant reach the website Sad

I was able to go to the homepage and get into this thread from there.

• User profile image
    vesuvius

W3bbo said:
    Sven Groot said:
    *snip*

Component factory have something similar, you are asked

Answer the question to prove you are not a spam bot, but a human.

Binary number 1001 is what in decimal?

or

how many fingers on a human hand?

Obviously Phil used to lurk around the channel 9 forums a lot so I wonder why the 1001 binary? The long and the short of it is spam in his fora is now almost non-existent, whereas it is a growing problem in the Sandquist fora. Look at the mix comments and here on channel 9, a lot of the posts are begining to get targeted more and more.

• User profile image
    ManipUni

I just solved it.

• User profile image
    Sampy

kettch said:

Fun stuff.

Please tell me that your little game didn't keep anybody from non-stop slaving away on Rev9?

Tongue Out

This is all I've been doing for months.

Rev9 was an elaborate cover for this new feature.

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

ManipUni said:

I just solved it.

I got it on my first guess, like a real scientist  Tongue Out

(Second guess was going to be 42).

Herbie

• User profile image
    GamlerHart

Cool and fun idea. First guessed 42 and then 9 =)

• User profile image
    vesuvius

Dr Herbie said:
    ManipUni said:
    *snip*

I got it on my first guess, like a real scientist  Tongue Out

(Second guess was going to be 42).

Herbie

Ditto

• User profile image
    Maddus Mattus

ScanIAm said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

Yeah, I can't reach any of the forum pages due to this...

The prompt comes up, then IE complains that it cant reach the website Sad

I was able to go to the homepage and get into this thread from there.

Bash the stop button, fill in 9, then no more worries

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.