Coffeehouse Thread

14 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Favourite Data-bound grid control?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Dr Herbie

I nearly posted this to the techoff, but decided that it's not really technical enough.

Question:  Which data bound grid control is your favourite (or do you roll your own) ?

There seem to be a lot of datagrid controls around.  Currently we use the C1 Datagrid bound to typed datasets.  It has it's pros and cons, mainly to do with events (or the lack of them) when editing within a data row (data isn't pushed to the dataset until you move away from the row, so things like calculated dataset columns not getting updated have to be worked around).

Herbie

• User profile image
    W3bbo

I use DataGridView in a snip, but it has some pretty bad performance issues. It isn't pretty, but DataGrid (the 1.1 version) is responsive and doesn't lag when filled with data. What's with that?

• User profile image
    vesuvius

I think the xceed grid is the best one, but I have always resorted to the DataGridView because although it is limited (lack of grouping, filtering) and so on, I could always work around the limitations.

This is one of the reasons I like WPF so much in that when I reach a brick wall in winforms and need a Win32 wizard, I can pretty much go ahead and do whatever I want using the native controls built in WPF that were impossible in Win32/Winforms.

I think there are always going to be pros and cons, but if I had to pick a grid (especially since you are an advanced user) the xceed winforms grid is the one I'd pick

• User profile image
    W3bbo

vesuvius said:

I think the xceed grid is the best one, but I have always resorted to the DataGridView because although it is limited (lack of grouping, filtering) and so on, I could always work around the limitations.

This is one of the reasons I like WPF so much in that when I reach a brick wall in winforms and need a Win32 wizard, I can pretty much go ahead and do whatever I want using the native controls built in WPF that were impossible in Win32/Winforms.

I think there are always going to be pros and cons, but if I had to pick a grid (especially since you are an advanced user) the xceed winforms grid is the one I'd pick

I tried looking at the Xceed XBAP demos, but they all failed to download and run.

They also aren't the prettiest either, and a few of their "Professional" themes for WPF are really unprofessional.

As an aside, I'll repeat that I've yet to see a WPF application that doesn't make me want to tear my eyes out.

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

W3bbo said:
    vesuvius said:
    *snip*

I tried looking at the Xceed XBAP demos, but they all failed to download and run.

They also aren't the prettiest either, and a few of their "Professional" themes for WPF are really unprofessional.

As an aside, I'll repeat that I've yet to see a WPF application that doesn't make me want to tear my eyes out.

BONUS QUESTION!

Do you do in-grid editing, or do you edit in a 'details view' separately?

I prefer in-grid because I think it's easier for our users (used to Excel), but I know some places don't do it like that.

Herbie

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Dr Herbie said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

BONUS QUESTION!

I prefer in-grid because I think it's easier for our users (used to Excel), but I know some places don't do it like that.

Herbie

Depends on context.

In-grid editing makes a lot more sense than Details View because it involves less work on your part, makes things easier for users (navigate and edit data directly with the keyboard and arrow keys) and is a lot more compact, but you'll run into aesthetic and UI problems, information overload, and all that jazz.

If you're using a datagrid then you're showing raw data (or at least something very close to it) to your users. Ask yourself if this is this the best way to work with your application? Consider supplying alternative views: Outlook can show contacts in a grid, or as a series of 'contact cards', both have their uses.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

W3bbo said:
    vesuvius said:
    *snip*

On the subject of WPF themes, of all the companies and communities providing WPF themes I've seen, only one I've come accross is passable.

(Some of) the Nukeation themes actually convey a sense of professionalism without being gaudy, especially the "Paper 2010"; "Ballistic" is also good; however I note neither of them are particularly original (Paper 2010 is Office 2010's themes, and Ballistic is what deviantArt uses). I'm also not fond of the typeface they're using, I imagine both look better when using something more appropriate and at the right size too. The text just seems so "cramped".

• User profile image
    ManipUni

I use DataGridView (with every element as a hyperlink). I edit in another page.

It is slow ugly and difficult to work with. Alternatives would be most welcomed.

• User profile image
    vesuvius

W3bbo said:
    vesuvius said:
    *snip*

They do have a winforms grid that is simply a monster of a datagrid.

I have worked on a few commercial WPF applications, and the big win isn't for the looks (yet), one project was using the system palette and was developed in XP, but they used the sandock docking controls which looked gorgeous compared to the VB6 and winforms competitors.

The WPF themes either by Microsoft/Codeplex and available commercially are very poor, and not a single vendor has produced anything that looks as good as the winforms themes available via the thid party route.

The big (or is it EPIC WIN?) win in WPF is the flexibility it provided with dealing with data in general, I am working on a WPF application that is big on multi-touch andf would really be impossible to achieve in windows forms. It's a niche product for a niche client but WPF really shines compared with everything else.

The calculated colums that Dr Herbie requires are easily achieved using the free WPF grid (dev 10/codeplex) and writing your own value converters. Apart from the ugly themes, there is very little reason to go to third parties insofar as UI components, if you want to do something in WPF there is nothing stopping you, that is a big win for WPF. That is what has swung me over to WPF from winforms.

• User profile image
    vesuvius

W3bbo said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

On the subject of WPF themes, of all the companies and communities providing WPF themes I've seen, only one I've come accross is passable.

(Some of) the Nukeation themes actually convey a sense of professionalism without being gaudy, especially the "Paper 2010"; "Ballistic" is also good; however I note neither of them are particularly original (Paper 2010 is Office 2010's themes, and Ballistic is what deviantArt uses). I'm also not fond of the typeface they're using, I imagine both look better when using something more appropriate and at the right size too. The text just seems so "cramped".

I would use the paper theme in any application I used, as that is just about the only WPF theme that agrees with me.

The big win here (sounding like a record whats broke') is that all the themes are available in resource dictionaries, and it is very easy to go in and tweak settings, even as a novice. I am no UI guru, but I frequently change UI things I don't like in WPF.

• User profile image
    vesuvius

Dr Herbie said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

BONUS QUESTION!

Herbie

Where possible, I like to offer both. In grid editing is natural, but it depends where you work. I have pretty much stopped having an opinion with people, "when in Rome" and all of that.

• User profile image
    Cream​Filling512

DataGridView perf is fine, using it in virtualized mode, but I guess that doesn't really count as data binding though, if you do it yourself.  I extended it with multi-level grouping with expand/collapse tree, search, and auto filters.  DGV is very powerful but does have some quirks.

• User profile image
    elmer

CreamFilling512 said:

DataGridView perf is fine, using it in virtualized mode, but I guess that doesn't really count as data binding though, if you do it yourself.  I extended it with multi-level grouping with expand/collapse tree, search, and auto filters.  DGV is very powerful but does have some quirks.

I use the Telerik products, because they basically just work the way I like, and their support is outstanding.

• User profile image
    SimonJ

We use Infragistics UltraGrid from the NetAdvantage suite because it is so powerful and flexible.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.