Coffeehouse Thread

7 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

A question about "How to create members." on a home website.

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    fvwj

    Well, a short description on  what I'm trying to do. I'm currently playing around with Apache on my Win7 Home laptop. I'm trying to create a site where 5 friends can connect and post their workout journals. Now the problem I have is, when they sign up through my site, do I physically create 5 users on my laptop machine with the credentials they supplied and give them permissions/restrictions? Or is there another way to do this. I'm sorry if I'm not more clear, but I just wanted to toss this out here to get some ideas on how to implement this.

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    That's either a very nice April 1st troll posting there, or we've got an incredibly naive user on our hands.

     

    But I'll bite...

     

    If you have a website that has some kind of membership / authentication system, invariably they use a local database for storing this information (in which case you'll want to install MySQL or MSSQLExpress or something). There are web applications that can authenticate against the local NT users and AD/LDAP stores, but these are typically Enterprise applications, and they don't create users themselves, they just bind their own user database against AD for authentication.

     

    Note that you don't need Apache as Windows comes with IIS unless you're doing something Apache-specific, in which case you're probably doing something wrong.

  • User profile image
    fvwj

    W3bbo said:

    That's either a very nice April 1st troll posting there, or we've got an incredibly naive user on our hands.

     

    But I'll bite...

     

    If you have a website that has some kind of membership / authentication system, invariably they use a local database for storing this information (in which case you'll want to install MySQL or MSSQLExpress or something). There are web applications that can authenticate against the local NT users and AD/LDAP stores, but these are typically Enterprise applications, and they don't create users themselves, they just bind their own user database against AD for authentication.

     

    Note that you don't need Apache as Windows comes with IIS unless you're doing something Apache-specific, in which case you're probably doing something wrong.

    No one's trolling here. I'm not a pro like some of you guys are. I was simply asking a question about something I have no idea how to do. I'm just learning and its a hobby for me. Obviously I'm asking in the wrong forum if my question comes off as trolling. I didn't know that C9 was only for professionals...sorry.

    And yes, I am doing something wrong, hence the question in the first place.

     

  • User profile image
    turrican

    fvwj said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

    No one's trolling here. I'm not a pro like some of you guys are. I was simply asking a question about something I have no idea how to do. I'm just learning and its a hobby for me. Obviously I'm asking in the wrong forum if my question comes off as trolling. I didn't know that C9 was only for professionals...sorry.

    And yes, I am doing something wrong, hence the question in the first place.

     

    Are you on crack? If your post isn't a "troll post", then just wow man, just wow... and they want people to use Linux. haha... funky stuff.

  • User profile image
    DCMonkey

    If it's just a few friends that will access it and you're ok with setting up the usernames and passwords ahead of time rather than letting them "sign up", you could just use the built in Authentication support in Apache:

     

    http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/howto/auth.html

     

     

  • User profile image
    fvwj

    turrican said:
    fvwj said:
    *snip*

    Are you on crack? If your post isn't a "troll post", then just wow man, just wow... and they want people to use Linux. haha... funky stuff.

    *shakes head* Wow...just wow. You should really take to heart what your avatar caption says.

    Thanks DCMonkey, for the link.

  • User profile image
    elmer

    Joomla 1.5 on Windows using Apache

     

    http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to-install-joomla-1-5-windows-apache-server-183093/

     

    The demo is using Windows Server, but the basic concepts should transfer to Win7

     

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.