Coffeehouse Thread

18 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Google Talk

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    GoddersUK

Google talk is a great product and a great IM client but I'm wandering if this is another project that Google have started and then left for dead. The current ("beta") client is from 2007 and nothing new has appeared since "Google Talk Labs Edition".

Will we see anything new here? I'd be sad to see it left for dead, but that almost seems inevitable - Google likes the cloud and all the recent changes to Google talk appear to have occured in GMail chat only. To me it would seem better that they completely terminate the desktop client than let it die a long, drawn out, death; if that's the direction they wish to go.

Thoughts?

• User profile image
    intelman

I wish it would be updated as well. It is one of the best IM clients out there. No ads, clean, simple, very easy to use voip, no wizzard crap or ports.

It seems that Google is really pushing their web versions of Google Talk. With the Gizmo being acquired, perhaps a new client will come out of that.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

intelman said:

I wish it would be updated as well. It is one of the best IM clients out there. No ads, clean, simple, very easy to use voip, no wizzard crap or ports.

It seems that Google is really pushing their web versions of Google Talk. With the Gizmo being acquired, perhaps a new client will come out of that.

From what I heard from friends working there, the desktop client is effectively dead and all improvements and development will happen on the web version.

• User profile image
    Bass

Google Talk is essentially just a XMPP client.

• User profile image
    Bass

• User profile image
    exoteric

I think it's ironic that some of the best Google software is desktop software.

• User profile image
    ManipUni

The web version supports video calls but the desktop client does not... Makes little sense. Google Talk is a "fine" piece of software, nothing special or interesting. If you want very straightforward IM, then go with it.

Google makes a lot of bloatware for the Desktop too let me add. Namely Google Toolbar, Desktop Search, and Picasa.

• User profile image
    intelman

PaoloM said:
    intelman said:
    *snip*

From what I heard from friends working there, the desktop client is effectively dead and all improvements and development will happen on the web version.

That would be a shame. I believe it if it were true. Sadly, I think it is working. I know a lot of people who sign into gmail to use their IM client. I can't easily send files to anyone, ever. If I am using a different XMPP client than they are, file transfers fail. If I use Windows Live Messenger or Skype, it almost always relays the file transfer resulting in some slow transfer. Google Talk to Google Talk and AIM worked the best. Full speed, easy to use, no firewall prompts or ports to open. I refuse to install AIM, but continue to use Google Talk.

File transfers are still unnecessarily hard. Clients are unnecessarily complicated and cluttered as well. Google Talk looked like something that could solve the problems associated with today's IM clients. I guess not anymore...

I am not the only one who really likes the Google branded Google Talk client. Many do.

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

ManipUni said:

The web version supports video calls but the desktop client does not... Makes little sense. Google Talk is a "fine" piece of software, nothing special or interesting. If you want very straightforward IM, then go with it.

Google makes a lot of bloatware for the Desktop too let me add. Namely Google Toolbar, Desktop Search, and Picasa.

their desktop search was pretty well back in the day, I used it on XP, it integrated and was much nicer to use than WDS

• User profile image
    bureX

Bass said:

This.

Google is a bit dry when it comes to native (aka non-web) apps, but Gtalk is not that hard to improve. I'm not the biggest open source advocate, but if they don't wish to dedicate any time or resources towards it's improvement, maybe releasing it out as OS to the hackers and tweakers is a good idea.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

intelman said:
    PaoloM said:
    *snip*

That would be a shame. I believe it if it were true. Sadly, I think it is working. I know a lot of people who sign into gmail to use their IM client. I can't easily send files to anyone, ever. If I am using a different XMPP client than they are, file transfers fail. If I use Windows Live Messenger or Skype, it almost always relays the file transfer resulting in some slow transfer. Google Talk to Google Talk and AIM worked the best. Full speed, easy to use, no firewall prompts or ports to open. I refuse to install AIM, but continue to use Google Talk.

File transfers are still unnecessarily hard. Clients are unnecessarily complicated and cluttered as well. Google Talk looked like something that could solve the problems associated with today's IM clients. I guess not anymore...

I am not the only one who really likes the Google branded Google Talk client. Many do.

I thought that it's pretty obvious that Google is trying to move as far away from OS dependency (Windows, for Google Talk) as possible, in order to support their Chrome OS project.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

Ion Todirel said:
    ManipUni said:
    *snip*

their desktop search was pretty well back in the day, I used it on XP, it integrated and was much nicer to use than WDS

And then they decided to do the right thing, chuck their indexer and use the WDS one Smiley

• User profile image
    intelman

PaoloM said:
    intelman said:
    *snip*

I thought that it's pretty obvious that Google is trying to move as far away from OS dependency (Windows, for Google Talk) as possible, in order to support their Chrome OS project.

I can see ChromeOS actually suceeding, that is the scary thing. I like my native apps. Windows and OS X forever and ever.

• User profile image
    Dovella

wait wave 4 Wink

• User profile image
    intelman

Dovella said:

wait wave 4 Wink

If leaks are true, Wave 4 will make IM much worse. Photo Gallery will hopefully be better, as will the movie maker and Mail. The messenger looks pretty bloated, especially with its ads.

http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-planning-full-screen-windows-live-messenger-adverts

More people are crying over the dead Google Talk Client.

http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/2010/03/send-files-in-google-chat.html#comments

• User profile image
    daSmirnov

intelman said:
    Dovella said:
    *snip*

If leaks are true, Wave 4 will make IM much worse. Photo Gallery will hopefully be better, as will the movie maker and Mail. The messenger looks pretty bloated, especially with its ads.

http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-planning-full-screen-windows-live-messenger-adverts

http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/2010/03/send-files-in-google-chat.html#comments

Date of Neowin article 1st April...  But yeah it does look more bloated, but then I think its bloated enough to already live in my tray.

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

intelman said:
    Dovella said:
    *snip*

Please, please say that's an April fool, about full screen ads in messenger..

That would be enough to make me move away from WLM if it weren't for the fact that that's where all my friends are. I would certainly consider switching to Pidgin or another similar third party client. Anyone got any good suggestions.

Really, really sad to see the official word in that Google blog post that the Talk client is no longer to be updated (it's an absolute coincidence I made this thread the day after that one... spooky Devil). This is one particular area where I'm really, really, sad to see the focus move away from the app to the browser. I can't see a browser based IM client ever coming close to fulfilling my IM needs (except on uni computers etc. that don't have an IM client, where I have no option). If one thing will ever kill Google talk off from becoming a serious IM solution it's this.

The closest alternative I have to WLM is Skype (my friends are almost exclusivly WLM, with a few on Skype and GTalk, but most of the GTalk ones only come online when checking their email which defeats the object of IM as I might as well email them instead. It also makes me feel like a ludite for still using a desktop POP/IMAP client  as my main means of checking my email... Tongue Out)

• User profile image
    intelman

GoddersUK said:
    intelman said:
    *snip*

Please, please say that's an April fool, about full screen ads in messenger..

That would be enough to make me move away from WLM if it weren't for the fact that that's where all my friends are. I would certainly consider switching to Pidgin or another similar third party client. Anyone got any good suggestions.

Really, really sad to see the official word in that Google blog post that the Talk client is no longer to be updated (it's an absolute coincidence I made this thread the day after that one... spooky Devil). This is one particular area where I'm really, really, sad to see the focus move away from the app to the browser. I can't see a browser based IM client ever coming close to fulfilling my IM needs (except on uni computers etc. that don't have an IM client, where I have no option). If one thing will ever kill Google talk off from becoming a serious IM solution it's this.

The closest alternative I have to WLM is Skype (my friends are almost exclusivly WLM, with a few on Skype and GTalk, but most of the GTalk ones only come online when checking their email which defeats the object of IM as I might as well email them instead. It also makes me feel like a ludite for still using a desktop POP/IMAP client  as my main means of checking my email... Tongue Out)

IT is a fool, but it is believeable isn't it Tongue Out That is the difference between the clients. 

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.