Coffeehouse Thread

15 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Q about Flash and Silverlight.

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    magicalclick

Do they support multi-threading? So far I am playing Flash games, they are completely single threaded. To make things worse, they are online games, thus, the connection is part of the single thread, FarmVille. When there is an issue with server connections, the game graphics/FPS is dropped to like 0.5 FPS. And moving a map takes 5 seconds to refresh.

I want to know the capability of Flash and Silverlight on this part. If we are to make a game on the platform,  do they provide native threading library for us to manage multiple threads?

Thank you.

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    PaoloM

Silverlight does. Apparently Flash doesn't.

• User profile image
    figuerres

I am not sure if Flash is single or not.... I do know that part of how it reacts is determined by how the developer uses what it does.

i know that worked on some code where we get data from a tcp/xml socket and that uses an event to handle new data.

but for sure Silverlight is inherently multi-threaded and will allow you to create worker threads.

• User profile image
    Minh

I noticed that, too... but it has more to do with the browser hosting Flash... For Flash-heavy apps like Cafe World or Hulu, I avoid FireFox like the plague... It's either IE or Chrome for that game

• User profile image
    ZippyV

From my limited experience with Actionscript. Most of the stuff you do is done asynchronously. For example:

var mymusic;

mymusic.load(http://www.example.com/stupidsong.mp3);

mymusic.onComplete = function() {

mymusic.play();

}

• User profile image
    Charles

Minh said:

I noticed that, too... but it has more to do with the browser hosting Flash... For Flash-heavy apps like Cafe World or Hulu, I avoid FireFox like the plague... It's either IE or Chrome for that game

Wow. Did Minh actually just say that he uses IE? OMG! Wait, April Fool's day was yesterday, though... Smiley

Just playing,

C

• User profile image
    Minh

Charles said:
    Minh said:
    *snip*

Wow. Did Minh actually just say that he uses IE? OMG! Wait, April Fool's day was yesterday, though... Smiley

Just playing,

C

I do use IE (I know I just lost coolness points). I'm technology agnostics. It's got to have a good user-experience. IE is just a tad slower (perception or reality?) than the other browser for everyday things...

But FireFox is horrible for Flash-heavy things...

• User profile image
    blowdart

Minh said:
    Charles said:
    *snip*

I do use IE (I know I just lost coolness points). I'm technology agnostics. It's got to have a good user-experience. IE is just a tad slower (perception or reality?) than the other browser for everyday things...

What coolness points? Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Charles

Minh said:
    Charles said:
    *snip*

I think people who use IE ARE cool! Smiley

I'm digging the IE9 platform preview, myself. Looking forward to the next release of it...

C

• User profile image
    Minh

blowdart said:
    Minh said:
    *snip*

What coolness points? Tongue Out

If you had to ask, then I'm not gonna tell you

• User profile image
    PaoloM

Charles said:
    Minh said:
    *snip*

I think people who use IE ARE cool! Smiley

I'm digging the IE9 platform preview, myself. Looking forward to the next release of it...

C

Actually, I used Chrome a lot lately and I'm slowly going back to IE8. It's either disgust for Google Smiley or that simply isn't that much difference and familiarity is nice.

• User profile image
    magicalclick

ZippyV said:

From my limited experience with Actionscript. Most of the stuff you do is done asynchronously. For example:

var mymusic;

mymusic.load(http://www.example.com/stupidsong.mp3);

mymusic.onComplete = function() {

mymusic.play();

}

Yeah, that bugs me as well. I can still play FV before everything is downloaded from server. But the game is still very single threaded and the performance is not draged down by my machine. I can play the same game and five minutes later, it gone back to normal where my PC is in the same state. Maybe your example is not enough for a full multi-threaded applications?

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Charles

PaoloM said:
    Charles said:
    *snip*

Actually, I used Chrome a lot lately and I'm slowly going back to IE8. It's either disgust for Google Smiley or that simply isn't that much difference and familiarity is nice.

Have you tried out the IE9 preview?

http://ie.microsoft.com/testdrive

C

• User profile image
    PaoloM

Charles said:
    PaoloM said:
    *snip*

C

Yes, I have it installed, but haven't had time to wrap it into a .NET control and build a proper shell around it.

• User profile image
    magicalclick

Charles said:
    PaoloM said:
    *snip*

C

I just tried FarmVille with IE9 now. No good as well. The scroll bar is really irresponsive because of the crappy Flash game. I really think something is wrong in the direction of current browsers. They all claim blah blah blah. Yeah sure, the browser itself is fast. But the plug-in drag it down crazy. They really need to think about handling craps from plug-ins gracefully, otherwise it is only a good browser without Flash/Silverlight/other plug-ins.

Last modified

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.