Coffeehouse Thread

9 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

QuickTime installer fail

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    GoddersUK

When I saw this I just had to grap a screenshot. Apparently the QuickTime installer believes explorer.exe to be a quicktime application and needs closing before uninstallation can begin Perplexed It would explain why, when I clicked the "this button will close all open quicktime applications" button all my file manager windows closed and a Windows shutdown dialogue came up. 'grats Apple.

Generic Forum Image

• User profile image
    Evok

Don't you know rule number one is, never install quicktime?

• User profile image
    CKurt

You do know it installed iTunes with it? And probably safari also, and Apple Updater Software...

• User profile image
    Minh

QuickTime could have hooks into Explorer for thumbnail previews & such...

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

Minh said:

QuickTime could have hooks into Explorer for thumbnail previews & such...

I do believe it does.

I've never seen Quicktime try to close Explorer while installing, though.

• User profile image
    ManipUni

Do you have a QuickTime video on your desktop or an open folder?

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

Evok said:

Don't you know rule number one is, never install quicktime?

Evok: Yes, it was there only for a short period of time as another program I was using forced it upon me. I am now no longer using that program, so have disposed of QuickTime.

CKurt: I specifically chose the version without iTunes, however it does seem that Apple Software Updater is still at large on my system, netuering it now, thanks for the reminder Smiley It also loaded something called "Apple Application Support". That is also being destroyed, as I type this Smiley

In the end I hit cancel, the unistallation has appeared to perform fine and it's restarted - I'm assuming to clear out whatever garbage it may have placed into explorer et. al.

• User profile image
    ZippyV

GoddersUK said:
    Evok said:
    *snip*

Evok: Yes, it was there only for a short period of time as another program I was using forced it upon me. I am now no longer using that program, so have disposed of QuickTime.

CKurt: I specifically chose the version without iTunes, however it does seem that Apple Software Updater is still at large on my system, netuering it now, thanks for the reminder Smiley It also loaded something called "Apple Application Support". That is also being destroyed, as I type this Smiley

In the end I hit cancel, the unistallation has appeared to perform fine and it's restarted - I'm assuming to clear out whatever garbage it may have placed into explorer et. al.

You can uninstall Apple's update software safely but don't try to remove the Application support thingy as that will break your Quicktime installation.

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

ZippyV said:
    GoddersUK said:
    *snip*

You can uninstall Apple's update software safely but don't try to remove the Application support thingy as that will break your Quicktime installation.

I forgot to mention I was uninstalling, so removing the application support is fine Smiley

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.