Coffeehouse Thread

4 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Pixel Mapping Work

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    ManipUni

Apart from the lag this might cause this is very interesting work - http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/jfogarty/research/prefab/

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

I'm not sure I see the usefulness of this, if I understood the "bubbles" thing correctly, it would only get in the way, look at the youtube demo, what if I wanted to select the text rather than use the track bar, the "thing" thought I wanted to get to the track bar? The second idea would interesting only if the marks wouldn't fade away so quickly, otherwise I again do not see the usefulness, do people have so short memories that they forgot what they did 2 seconds (the timeout interval in which it fades away) ago?

• User profile image
    kettch

Ion Todirel said:

I'm not sure I see the usefulness of this, if I understood the "bubbles" thing correctly, it would only get in the way, look at the youtube demo, what if I wanted to select the text rather than use the track bar, the "thing" thought I wanted to get to the track bar? The second idea would interesting only if the marks wouldn't fade away so quickly, otherwise I again do not see the usefulness, do people have so short memories that they forgot what they did 2 seconds (the timeout interval in which it fades away) ago?

The video wasn't so much about the UI hinting features. Those were just implemented with their UI parsing tool to show that they could do it without any changes to the application code. It looks like they are doing some kind of computer vision to recognize different controls using pixel data alone. It looks interesting. It could be useful in UI testing, or allowing screen readers to better understand applications that aren't properly accessible.

• User profile image
    magicalclick

Doesn't seem useful on WPF apps where the skined/templated controls are really really different then they would expect. I am sure they used the similar technique as face recognition, edge detection, and so on to recongnize the controls. So, I wouldn't really say it is super interesting.

Any yeah, the bubble only works one certain controls. But what is I really want to click an empty space to close the context menu I just right clicked? I would probably ended up clicking a button. The bubble thing my work better with fingers though.

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.