Coffeehouse Thread

9 posts

Math Quiz: 9 is number one

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    iStation

    when

    a = b

     

    multiply both sides by 8a

    8a^2 = 8ab

     

    add (a^2 - 9ab) to both sides

    8a^2 + (a^2 - 9ab) = 8ab + (a^2 - 9ab)

     

    simplify them to

    9(a^2 - ab) = (a^2 - ab)

     

    divide both sides by (a^2 - ab)

    9 = 1

     

    Smiley

  • User profile image
    bureX

    There's a a^2 - ab ≠ 0 missing somewhere, I think Wink

    (by the way, I suck at math)

  • User profile image
    algorith

    bureX said:

    There's a a^2 - ab ≠ 0 missing somewhere, I think Wink

    (by the way, I suck at math)

     That's right. 

    9(a^2 - ab) = (a^2 - ab)  → 0 = 0

     

  • User profile image
    iStation

    algorith said:
    bureX said:
    *snip*

     That's right. 

    9(a^2 - ab) = (a^2 - ab)  → 0 = 0

     

    OK!
    Another one,

     

    lim x->0 [{sin(9x)}/x] = ?

     

  • User profile image
    brianbec

    bureX said:

    There's a a^2 - ab ≠ 0 missing somewhere, I think Wink

    (by the way, I suck at math)

    if a == b, then a^2 == ab and a^2-ab==0. Division by zero is not permitted here Smiley  You can get any answer you want if you divide by zero, just as you can "prove" any proposition if you accept a contradiction, just as any statement about members of the empty set is logically true!

  • User profile image
    kettch

    brianbec said:
    bureX said:
    *snip*

    if a == b, then a^2 == ab and a^2-ab==0. Division by zero is not permitted here Smiley  You can get any answer you want if you divide by zero, just as you can "prove" any proposition if you accept a contradiction, just as any statement about members of the empty set is logically true!

    This statement is false.

  • User profile image
    brianbec

    iStation said:
    algorith said:
    *snip*

    OK!
    Another one,

     

    lim x->0 [{sin(9x)}/x] = ?

     

    Nice one. Here's another

     

    Find the first positive real value of t for which the following is zero

     

    256 cos^9(pi t / 162) - 576 cos^7(pi t / 162) + 432 cos^5(pi t / 162) -120 cos^3(pi t/162) + 9 cos(pi t / 162)

  • User profile image
    iStation

    brianbec said:
    iStation said:
    *snip*

    Nice one. Here's another

     

    Find the first positive real value of t for which the following is zero

     

    256 cos^9(pi t / 162) - 576 cos^7(pi t / 162) + 432 cos^5(pi t / 162) -120 cos^3(pi t/162) + 9 cos(pi t / 162)

    Wow!

     

    9! Right? [27, 45, 63, 81, 99....]

     

    How about this one?

     

    + ∞
    ∫ [{sin(9x)}/x]dx = ?
    − ∞

  • User profile image
    jkrishnaswa​my

    @iStation:

    You are dividing by 0!

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.