Coffeehouse Thread

11 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Tron 2.0

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    PerfectPhase

Just discovered this

http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi4252763161/

Actually looks quite good from the traillers... Off to watch the original now, feel the need for some nostalgia

• User profile image
    W3bbo

I wonder how many people throw around the word "nostalgia" as though it refers to any kind of reminiscing or memory recall and not the specific quale people get with certain memories. I'm not accusing you or anything, but I'd just like to know.

I mean, I saw the original Tron in the early 00s, but looking back on it doesn't elicit the same "nostalgic" response as other things from the same time period.

• User profile image
    PerfectPhase

W3bbo said:

I wonder how many people throw around the word "nostalgia" as though it refers to any kind of reminiscing or memory recall and not the specific quale people get with certain memories. I'm not accusing you or anything, but I'd just like to know.

I mean, I saw the original Tron in the early 00s, but looking back on it doesn't elicit the same "nostalgic" response as other things from the same time period.

Some of us are a bit older that you and saw it on it's release back in the early 80s.  Had a bit more of an impact back then!  Smiley

Can remember playing the arcade game every thursday night.....

• User profile image
    PaoloM

PerfectPhase said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

Some of us are a bit older that you and saw it on it's release back in the early 80s.  Had a bit more of an impact back then!  Smiley

Can remember playing the arcade game every thursday night.....

When it showed up in theatres, we used Apple ][s. We wrote software that looked eerily like what Bruce Boxleitner typed in his cubicle. We *knew* everything was possible. We *knew* we were the ones that will make all that possible.

The influence of movies like Tron or Wargames is very hard to overestimate. They shaped a whole generation of kids who knew that you didn't have to shun reading and science in order to be successful.

• User profile image
    kettch

PaoloM said:
    PerfectPhase said:
    *snip*

When it showed up in theatres, we used Apple ][s. We wrote software that looked eerily like what Bruce Boxleitner typed in his cubicle. We *knew* everything was possible. We *knew* we were the ones that will make all that possible.

The influence of movies like Tron or Wargames is very hard to overestimate. They shaped a whole generation of kids who knew that you didn't have to shun reading and science in order to be successful.

Can I claim that generation as my own? My generation (I'm 26) is mostly made up of lazy morons with whom I have nothing in common with.

• User profile image
    intelman

The game was good too. 

• User profile image
    Harlequin

Yeah, I grabbed the DVD of the first once a few months ago and it still holds up on a nice home theater. Good visuals, awesome sound. Saw the new trailer this week looked wicked. What sucks is it's not out until December or something stupid Smiley

• User profile image
    Harlequin

Yeah, I grabbed the DVD of the first once a few months ago and it still holds up on a nice home theater. Good visuals, awesome sound. Saw the new trailer this week looked wicked.

• User profile image
    PerfectPhase

Harlequin said:

Yeah, I grabbed the DVD of the first once a few months ago and it still holds up on a nice home theater. Good visuals, awesome sound. Saw the new trailer this week looked wicked. What sucks is it's not out until December or something stupid Smiley

I'm quite looking forward to getting the remastered Blu-Ray when it comes out in November.  One thing I always remember out seeing it in the cinema was just how good colour was which is something that doesn't seem to have been captured in my DVD copy.

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

The trailer looks good, but being made by Disney makes me remember I never really liked anything that came out from them, so I'm not too optimistic about the movie

• User profile image
    spivonious

I think watching the original without the nostalgia factor makes you realize that it's just not a good movie. I'm 28 and have always thought Tron was stupid. I think the sequel will be just as bad. It's just another example of Hollywood cashing in on a nostalgic franchise.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.