Coffeehouse Thread

18 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

I want a save button in OneNote

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    turrican

OneNote doesn't have a save button, what you post on it, auto saves. BUT... this isn't always a good thing. This behaviour makes it very dangerous to use for important notes. I could accidently mess up a whole bunch of stuff or even delete notes!

I wish they would add a save button-option to OneNote, it could still auto save by default but for some people, that is not a safe way of making notes.

• User profile image
    sushovande

Yes! Please implement this "feature" and rename your application to Microsoft Office Word 2010.

• User profile image
    Cream​Filling512

In 2010 you can view the change history and just see the earlier revisions.  Save buttons are silly, there are better ways to do versioning.

• User profile image
    mstefan

sushovande said:

Yes! Please implement this "feature" and rename your application to Microsoft Office Word 2010.

ROFL!

• User profile image
    zian

This exists in Windows Vista and Windows 7 as "Previous Versions."

• User profile image
    turrican

sushovande said:

If you are suggesting that OneNote is just Word without the save button... well... the least I can tell you is that I don't think you ever used OneNote in that case.

Funny thing is, why would a save button change other people's experience with OneNote? As many seem to "suggest" here? It can be optional and off by default. It would bring many new users to OneNote, I'm sure there are a lot of people out there like me.

• User profile image
    fknight

turrican said:
    sushovande said:
    *snip*

If you are suggesting that OneNote is just Word without the save button... well... the least I can tell you is that I don't think you ever used OneNote in that case.

Funny thing is, why would a save button change other people's experience with OneNote? As many seem to "suggest" here? It can be optional and off by default. It would bring many new users to OneNote, I'm sure there are a lot of people out there like me.

Are people avoiding OneNote because there's no save button?

• User profile image
    turrican

fknight said:
    turrican said:
    *snip*

Are people avoiding OneNote because there's no save button?

I never said that but I'm sure there are a LOT people who would like a save button to use OneNote as a more important tool. Currently, I use Outlook and save my notes in a "New Note" since it has a save button. I feel safe using it because my notes are VERY important to me.

Although, the ultimate would be to mix up OneNote into Outlook, but it's just a person dream of mine. hehhe...

Smiley

• User profile image
    RamblingGeek​UK

turrican said:
    fknight said:
    *snip*

I never said that but I'm sure there are a LOT people who would like a save button to use OneNote as a more important tool. Currently, I use Outlook and save my notes in a "New Note" since it has a save button. I feel safe using it because my notes are VERY important to me.

Although, the ultimate would be to mix up OneNote into Outlook, but it's just a person dream of mine. hehhe...

Smiley

Have you lost notes in one note? 

• User profile image
    Evok

Even if you do accidently delete something from you note, aren't you still able to undo all the way to where you need to get back to a working state?

• User profile image
    spivonious

I'd love to have a save button, even if it didn't do anything. It just makes me feel safer.

• User profile image
    fknight

turrican said:
    fknight said:
    *snip*

Smiley

turrican:

I fully support your idea of having OneNote be part of Outlook.

• User profile image
    Cream​Filling512

Evok said:

Even if you do accidently delete something from you note, aren't you still able to undo all the way to where you need to get back to a working state?

Yeah, like I said you can turn on versioning.

• User profile image
    turrican

Evok said:

Why complicate things when a simple save button would be much more simplistic and better? The Undo isn't too good if I delete and close. If I delete and close with a save button, it would give me a final warning "Do you want to save changes?". If the save button would be so bad, we would have versioning in Word and Excel instead of it.

I still think a save button a big and essential part of such applications, which is missing from OneNote.

• User profile image
    Cream​Filling512

Save button makes things more complicated, no save button is more simple. When you are editing a Word document, you are editing a copy that is in-memory.  So you have two versions, one on disk, one in memory.  So you are doing versioning but it wasn't really what a save button was designed for.  The save button is only there for legacy reasons.

I think we only have save buttons because historically writing to disk took a long time, especially when people used floppy disks.  It could take 30 seconds or longer, even minutes.  If saving was nearly free back in the day I wouldn't be surprised if it would be rare to find save buttons.

• User profile image
    turrican

CreamFilling512 said:

Save button makes things more complicated, no save button is more simple. When you are editing a Word document, you are editing a copy that is in-memory.  So you have two versions, one on disk, one in memory.  So you are doing versioning but it wasn't really what a save button was designed for.  The save button is only there for legacy reasons.

I think we only have save buttons because historically writing to disk took a long time, especially when people used floppy disks.  It could take 30 seconds or longer, even minutes.  If saving was nearly free back in the day I wouldn't be surprised if it would be rare to find save buttons.

That would be horrible and an absolute mess. I can not imagine a world without save button. I disagree and remain unconvinced.

• User profile image
    Bas

Everybody's mileage varies, obviousy, but I for one use OneNote extensively and have never messed up notes or yearned for a save button. I can't wait until we ditch this whole 'save to disk' thing altogether and just get rich, detailed versioning for everything.

• User profile image
    kettch

Bas said:

Everybody's mileage varies, obviousy, but I for one use OneNote extensively and have never messed up notes or yearned for a save button. I can't wait until we ditch this whole 'save to disk' thing altogether and just get rich, detailed versioning for everything.

++

I have had a similarly good experience with OneNote. It's pure awesome not having to worry about saving. It's great at maintaining state. I don't remember it the 2007 did this, but 2010 even persists highlighted text. I have had a particular line in one particular place selected for a couple of months. I need to copy and paste it periodically, and all I have to do is browse and hit Ctrl+C.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.